Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 19” and 17” dual sport tyre reviews

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries

Heidenau K60 Scout

Installed: 55,750km
    Removed: 59,865km
    Remaining life: Both have plenty of life, but pulled early because of upcoming riding requirements.

I fitted these hoping to find the holy grail of dual purpose tyres – good road and gravel performance and good life. To a certain extent, I found this, but, as you would probably expect, there were downsides.

There is now a solid centre strip on the new Scout version of the K60. The previous model didn’t have this, but the tyre had to be removed from production due to a law change in the mixture used to manufacture tyres. The rear Scout has 3-4 different tread patterns, depending on tyre size, with only the 150/70/17 sporting the centre strip. This is to improve the longevity, but the trade off in clay and mud is that you struggle for grip unless the bike is leant over a bit, as the strip keeps the tyre from biting down, and instead sits on top of the surface. Lean it over however (like through corners) and anyone following you is rewarded with a shower of stones and rocks!

The other downside was a very dubious performance on wet roads, to the point of being scary. I had multiple moments of slides, even on reasonably nice roads, where the tyre simply didn’t grip as much you would expect. Even reducing the pace to account for this, slides were experienced, so your confidence in the wet was non-existent. As bizarre as this comment might sound, in very heavy rain, like pounding down on the motorway, the K60 was less likely to aquaplane due to the massive grooves. On other road tyres I would have had moments of aquaplaning, but never on the K60. Just don’t try that around corners.

On the gravel, bar the problem with the centre strip, I found the tyres quite enjoyable, offering far more grip than road orientated tyres, and I found myself chuckling at the other 1200 GSs struggling on more road biased tyres. The difference was noticeable. Certain forestry roads with clay on the surface the others couldn’t go down as they might not get up, whereas I was OK. On the other hand, riding solo near New Plymouth I almost didn’t get up a road I wandered down, and ended up having to remove all the luggage and my gear, and still barely made it up a steep slippery bit.

As many other people have reported on the likes of AdvRider, I also had pressure issues with the front tyre. Throughout the time it was fitted the front tyre would lose pressure. The worst I experienced was about 5 PSI in a single day. The carcass of the K60 is extremely stiff, so many struggle to fit the tyre (shops are useful like that) and this is also suspected of being the pressure loss issue, where a slight imperfection in the GSA rim around the join weld allows air to escape. Still, the GSA has pressure monitoring so I can easily keep an eye on it, and I also carry a compressor anyway.

The stiff carcass also meant running lower pressures were quite possible with little detriment. On the day the front lost 5 PSI we were doing Waikaremoana and I just kept going. The front was under 30 PSI, probably about 28 and steering and grip was still good, if not perhaps better than before.

Would I use again: Cautiously, yes. Currently, the K60 is the only tyre offering a middle ground between TKC and Tourance/Anakee. If there was another option, I would try it (and there will be in 2013). For long adventure riding trips, it’s very typical to do lots of seal and also gravel roads that challenge the road biased tyres. When you’re on a 250kg pig, you want any advantage when the going gets rough (and it makes the ride more fun as well).

Many doing lots of off road will run a TKC front and K60 rear, getting great traction up front but tyre life on the rear. Normally my road riding is too demanding to consider a TKC front.

Picture is when they were brand new
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03706.JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	179.3 KB 
ID:	276616  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries

Michelin Pilot Road 3 Trail - revisited

A follow up to the above post, the PR3T were re-fitted and have now been worn out.

Installed: 59,865km
    Removed: 65,730km
    Remaining life: Front has more life, rear is gone

A staggering amount of life has been achieved on the PR3T set, but as you can see from the photos the rear technically should have been replaced a little while ago. The sipe through the middle is all gone, and just the main tread lines are left. However, to achieve almost 12,300km, plenty of that loaded with luggage, and even some 2up work moto marshalling, on a heavy bike has exceeded all my expectations. My pace was legal but definitely brisk. As I mentioned in the previous review, the rear had squared off already, which was a bit alarming, but it's held on. Grip has been great all the way through, but I think the tyres went off in the last thousand or so, unless it was melting roads causing some interesting squirms (even at speeds of 70-80kph in some corners).

I now find myself having to mentally adjust to having tyres with less road grip, as I've become very used to having excellent on-road traction, such is the easy performance of the PR3T. The front still has usable life left, so I’ll flick it off to someone as I can’t bring myself to throw a tyre away with that much useful tread remaining.

Would I use again: If I wanted a heavily road biased set, then yes, I would definitely run these again, especially if it was winter (or a high chance of rain and no gravel work).

Name:	20130119_123120.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	130.3 KB 
ID:	276617   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130119_123201.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	137.7 KB 
ID:	276618   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130119_123209.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	145.5 KB 
ID:	276619  
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Sold
    Alan,

That's a remarkable life considering their end application - not too far removed from my Street Triple! Excellent photos. Do you happen to know how the T Spec differs from the B Spec I have fitted? The photos look pretty identical so I'm wondering if the differences are internal.

Thanks for that mate!

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Blackbird, I'll discuss in the separate thread here: http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...yre-discussion

Want to keep this nice and clean, reviews only.

Bike
    Gone
    Any experience with a Karoo 3 150/17 rear?
    "Age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill"

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cold comfort View Post
    Any experience with a Karoo 3 150/17 rear?
    Not yet... A set of Anakee 3 and a massive drop in my mileage means reviews aren't going to come as quickly now. Feel free to add your own review and I'll link into the first post.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries

Refitted Tyres

Brief updates on a couple of sets of tyres.

I did 7350km on a set of Anakee 2 the first time (reviewed previously), refitted them and did another 3895km for a total of 11,245km. Bear in mind the first stint was a South Island trip (harder on tyres) and stock suspension, the second stint was North Island riding and Ohlins was now fitted. Anything into 5 figures is good mileage so far.

I did 4115km on a set of Heidenau K60 and then 4910km on a second round (a South Island trip), so far done 9025km and they’re not finished yet. Here’s a picture of the tyres so far.

Name:	Michelin A2 DSC03933.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	152.6 KB 
ID:	309847   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Heidenau K60 Scount 20150313_123436.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	151.1 KB 
ID:	309846  

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries

Michelin Anakee 3

Installed: 74,535km
    Removed: 90,452km
    Remaining life: None

15,917km. That’s almost a review in itself. Next best was the PR3 at 12,300km (although that’s rear, the front had life). A combination of long life and a big drop in mileage meant it took over a year to finish off these tyres… a foreign concept for me when some tyres were finished in a month or three.

It sported an interesting tread pattern, almost no tread near the edge clearly showing some road performance, while the deep serrated tread was supposed to shed mud and gravel more easily. In practise, this was a very road biased tyre. The bike tended to swim in gravel on corners, but did bite quite well out of corners, with very deep grooves. I wouldn’t plan on doing much serious gravel with this tyre.

Road performance on the other hand was fantastic. Wet or dry, the grip was outstanding and I felt very comfortable on the tyres. Fuel economy was good, demonstrating a low rolling resistance. When pushing the tyres harder, they continued to grip but right near my limit I would get the slightest hint of a slide (bearing in mind this is with full luggage, so a heavy bike) which gave a nice warning.

The lean angle available on the tyres was a little less than I’m used to, coming very close to the edge of the front tyre (I prefer a little more in reserve) and running off the edge of the rear tyre with the side wall showing some signs of use. After almost 16,000km, the sides of the front tyre were shot, so triangulated that I was starting to get vibrations through the handlebars while leant over, and the rear was heavily squared off (just at the wear marker) which made the bike unwilling to lean and had a heavy tendency to stand up while leant over. In other words, I’d had a full life from them

Within a couple of thousand kilometres I knew I’d finally found the right tyre for me, and declared to several mates I’d found my new favourite. Every bike seems to have a sweet spot in tyres for each rider, and this was mine. As with other tyres, it’s not one I’d consider for a lot of gravel riding, exploring unknown regions (ie, not knowing what I’ll be getting into) but currently I’m doing almost zero gravel riding.

Would I use again: Definitely. If I didn’t want a Road 2/3/4 type road specific tyre, I’d likely take another set of these, for the occasional gravel road in every 1000km type riding I’m currently doing.

Name:	Michelin A3 20130119_113940.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	134.9 KB 
ID:	309848   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Michelin A3 20140425_125140.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	135.8 KB 
ID:	309849   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Michelin A3 20140425_125224.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	119.9 KB 
ID:	309850  

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries

Refitted Tyre

Brief updates on a Michelin Pilot Road 3 Trail front tyre. In the last review I mentioned the front had more life. There is always a trade-off between the cost of fitting a tyre again vs buying a new tyre. At that time, the rear did almost 12,300km and was finished. The front has done a further 7,600km, for a total life of 19,913km. Pretty damn amazing when the next closest was the Anakee 3 at 16,000km.

I could have still stretched the tyre out a little more, but hopes of a ride to log some more mileage were dashed by other things, and I had a trip coming up, and the tyre definitely needed changing prior.

I hold quite a lot of hope in the PR4 Trails, however, it looks like we’ve been short changed vs the regular PR4, with the Trails keeping the same compound distribution as the PR3 Trail whereas the PR4 regular received a more complete update.

Name:	Michelin PR3T 20150124_095334.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	136.3 KB 
ID:	309851  

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    I hold quite a lot of hope in the PR4 Trails, however, it looks like we’ve been short changed vs the regular PR4, with the Trails keeping the same compound distribution as the PR3 Trail whereas the PR4 regular received a more complete update.
    Hi Alan,

It might be more than you that's been short changed! The advertising blurb about the road PR4 claimed a +20% increase in life compared with the PR3. Well, both my rear PR3's lasted for 15000 - 16000 km. Have now done 11000 km on the PR4 and very doubtful whether it will last any longer than the PR3's AND they're a sight more expensive. The one incontrovertible fact however, is that they're an outstanding tyre in the dry and sublime in the wet.

Thread Information