Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: FZR250 New bike and a few questions

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ducatilover View Post
    I've only seen one occasion where a 250/4 has made more hp with an aftermarket 'zorst over a re-packed factory one on the dyno. (A very nicely set up MC22, pulled 43 at the rubber bit)
    No surprises there mate. I bet it hasn't lost any top end ($5 if you do a dyno run)
    Generally the top end with a wank muffler becomes smoother feeling, you can't feel it run out of puff. Whereas with the factory set up, it makes more power up to, say, the last 1000rpm, so you can feel the power drop off.

I found this with my VT250, which spent far too much time on a dyno. It took a proper set of tuned length headers to pull more hp, even though it felt faster than stock with a wank muffler
    I hope the wank with the Magna 250 is reading this thread too ... If his mother lets him surf the net of course.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    I hope the wank with the Magna 250 is reading this thread too ... If his mother lets him surf the net of course.
    Wasn't it a Rebel? I gave so many fucks, I forgot!
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Alloy, stainless and Ti polishing.
    Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ducatilover View Post
    Wasn't it a Rebel? I gave so many fucks, I forgot!
    I gave at the office ...

Bike
    1989 fzr250
    Cool, Yeah, that describes how it feels well, I'll have to run it out a bit more to get a proper feel for it too anyhow

Why do people bother with aftermarket exhausts then? I mean, nearly every cbr/zxr/fzr I see has one on it (I just bought mine that way)

Worth dyno'ing it?

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by McFatty1000 View Post
    Why do people bother with aftermarket exhausts then? I mean, nearly every cbr/zxr/fzr I see has one on it (I just bought mine that way)

Worth dyno'ing it?
    They look/sound cool. FEEL faster ... so they must be faster ... eh !!! But unless you spend the dosh/time on re-jetting etc ... nothing else is gained.

A bigger bike is the EASIEST HP gain. Wait until you can. Save your dosh for that.

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Cool, Yeah, that describes how it feels well, I'll have to run it out a bit more to get a proper feel for it too anyhow

Worth dyno'ing it?
    I wouldn't dyno it, unless you're keen to see the standard power (probably 34-36hp, depending on correction factors)

Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    They look/sound cool. FEEL faster ... so they must be faster ... eh !!! But unless you spend the dosh/time on re-jetting etc ... nothing else is gained.

A bigger bike is the EASIEST HP gain. Wait until you can. Save your dosh for that.
    ^ wot 'e sed.

I've managed a few extra horse from my 600, but it's set up correctly, decent air filter, straight flowing can, ignition advancer and carbs are set up.
    But, I did it for noise. The standard bike would make more power most of the way, 'till I did the ignition advancer (seemed to fatten the mid range up)
    But, then you have to run it on 98 petrol, and even then I worry about it detonating

But, any HP gain from a 250/4 is not going to set your pants on fire, if you had it jetted, decent exhaust and filter and got an extra 2HP, I'd high five you
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Alloy, stainless and Ti polishing.
    Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    1989 fzr250
    Ok, thought I'd update

The stock exhaust has made a good difference around town (Seat of the pants) however, I've seen the fuel use spike (Up to 6.5l/100kms, on a 250 )

So, just to see if its me running the bike differently, I've popped the aftermarket exhaust back on, will try for a few more tanks to get a rough idea.
    Also, I'm only running the bike when I feel like it, so the (slightly) nicer exhaust note makes it a bit more worthwhile.

Also, lastly, I got a ventura pack rack etc off a 3ln3 (91 model) bike and tried to put it on my 3ln1 (89 model), but it doesn't want to match up, anyone know of any differences in frame between the two? Externally, they look the same at least

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Also, lastly, I got a ventura pack rack etc off a 3ln3 (91 model) bike and tried to put it on my 3ln1 (89 model), but it doesn't want to match up, anyone know of any differences in frame between the two? Externally, they look the same at least
    It's nothing to do with the BIKE frame ... more to do with a different company making the pack rack frame. (A different design)

Bike
    1989 fzr250
    Yeah, its more if there were any slight revisions (If anyone knows) to the two bike models that would mean it would fit on one and not quite on the other.

The frame on mine seems to be more obstructive than the other. Does anyone else do pack racks? It just seems to be ventura from what I've seen.

Bike
    a fucking hornet
    Yeah, its more if there were any slight revisions (If anyone knows) to the two bike models that would mean it would fit on one and not quite on the other.

The frame on mine seems to be more obstructive than the other. Does anyone else do pack racks? It just seems to be ventura from what I've seen.
    get it modified to suit

plastic fabricator/welder here if you need a hand ! will work for beer/bourbon/booze

come ride the southern roads www.southernrider.co.nz

Bike
    1989 fzr250
    Quote Originally Posted by hayd3n View Post
    get it modified to suit
    Yeah, going to get the friend who I bought it off to see if it goes on the same way as his bike. In the short look I had, I couldn't see how to modify it without risking its carry capacity. But I'll have another go tues. Unless you've done it before? Which would be awesome...

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, going to get the friend who I bought it off to see if it goes on the same way as his bike. In the short look I had, I couldn't see how to modify it without risking its carry capacity. But I'll have another go tues. Unless you've done it before? Which would be awesome...
    The upper and lower portions of your old pack frame will match each other ... so put the lower portion (off the old bike) on the new bike.

Or bend the piece with the female (joiner) portions out a bit so they match up.

Bike
    1989 fzr250
    Ah sorry, just got what you meant - no, the problem is the rear frame of my bike is slightly lower than the other bike, which means I cant get the bolt locations to work (ie, the fairings/rear frame of my bike get in the way of the L brackets of the pack rack slightly) - I can fit the aft or fore bolts, but not both at the same time (by all of ~10mm)

The pack part itself is fine.

If I can't sort it tomorrow, I'll just sell them back to him for the same price, as he's selling his bike. He'll get a bit more for it maybe with it on if it goes that way

Bike
    a fucking hornet
    weld new brackets on the rack to suit the bike ive attached pack racks to various bikes this way , far cheaper this way too

plastic fabricator/welder here if you need a hand ! will work for beer/bourbon/booze

come ride the southern roads www.southernrider.co.nz

Bike
    1989 fzr250
    Quote Originally Posted by hayd3n View Post
    weld new brackets on the rack to suit the bike ive attached pack racks to various bikes this way , far cheaper this way too
    May not be a bad way to go. Cheers

Thread Information