Page 21 of 33 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: Chris' Bucket photo thread - Bandwidth warning

Bike
    Rattlecan blue
    Quote Originally Posted by Pumba View Post
    Well doesn't look like my Big Wednesday ticket did any good tonight so when my wife finds a job that actually pays.

If you want the engine it is here just yell and we can sort something.
    No hurry, we have an engine to fit up, the one you have is the only one I have that still has the Leccy start fitted though.
    Like I said no hurry.
    Stock is best

Bike
    RS125, TZ80, RS50, RS50, FXR

Fix it

Put in a bunch of time on the FXR this weekend replacing crap and maintaining it. I figure it's a good start having a well functioning bike if I want to knock 0.7s off my Mt Welly times.

I made some new sliders for my bike and Denis' bike
    Got rid of the annoyingly massive sliders from my foot pegs and heat shrinked the ends with some heavy duty mains shrink
    Drilled and lock wired all the right places
    Serviced the brake master cylinder with the parts I got from Tim, thanks bud
    Gave the engine a once over to check everything is together properly

I still need to replace the rear tire, fork oil, and finish off the brakes but it's looking good so far. The exhaust will be the next port of call to try bring up some of that power I know is hidden in there.

Bike

FXR150 forks

The FXR now has a new braided brake line, a serviced master cylinder and new high grade brake fluid. They feel awesome in comparison. The pads still look like they have a good amount of meat on them and the disk isn't warped or worn badly which is always a plus.

I have the front end to pieces and the forks out. It'll likely be the first time it has ever had the fluid replaced
    I bought some Spectro SAE 10 brake fluid for them but I'm wondering if I was better with some 15 weight oil. I've found going anti-clock at Mt Welly (and probably other circuits too) the forks are bottoming out in two corners. I think if they're still doing so after this service I'll try some 15 weight oil.

As a reference, the Suzuki manual says 10 weight oil and 219ml.

Anyone care to share their experiences with FXR forks?

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    10 weight brake fluid? !??

Thicker oil is good until you have to move the shaft quickly like over stutter bumps. Oh dear.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Fork oil weight is a good stop gap for damper rod forks, but you mustn't forget that any gains you make on compression damping are matched on the rebound action.

So get the thing to stop bottoming out with golden syrup, and the forks won't extend again at a speed which keeps the tyre holding the road.

The technology is very limited. But you can braise the holes up on the compression circuit of the damper rods, and drill them smaller to effect one and not the other. It's trial and error method to get that right, but it works.

Emulators are cheap enough to buy, but if you can find someone who already has some they are even cheaper to replicate on a lathe. They're dead simple.

On a side note. If the fork oil has never been done, what are the chances that the shock oil has? Nill. It's just as important, and the fluid in the shock gets a much harder time than that in the forks. It should be replaced regularly but is mostly not something that people can do at home, so it gets forgotten.

Bike
    KTM 950ADV,DR750,APRILIA TUONO ,YZ290F
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisc View Post
    Between far to many other interests/passions, I'm a photographer and was part time freelancing for some years before becoming a desk jockey. I've been running my motoring blog based around my Datsun 1200 and drifting for 4 years now but slowly it's been moving into motorcycles over the last two years as I become more and more obsessed. I prefer to race but I take my camera everywhere I go. I'll post some photos where I can from the events I attend.

Note all these images are all hosted on my own server, not on kiwibiker.

Feel free to use the images for personal use but I retain all copyrights. I ask nothing in return except a link back to my blog www.beeoneoneoh.com if you do post them around. Thanks!

In anticipation of this months racing on Sunday - I'm frothing to ride again - here are some photos from the April 2012 Mt Wellington meet. One or two of these my dad Simon took (old motorsport photog from back in the day).
    Hi Chris

Looks like you guys are having fun but I couldn't see the Datsun 1200 stuff ?

photo Pictures050_zps2e9180d8.jpg

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    On a side note. If the fork oil has never been done, what are the chances that the shock oil has? Nill. It's just as important, and the fluid in the shock gets a much harder time than that in the forks. It should be replaced regularly but is mostly not something that people can do at home, so it gets forgotten.
    I thought the shock was a sealed unit. I will definitely look into that. The tread on the streetattack I'm running on the rear of my FXR is telling me the rebound is far too slow too.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by 10bikekid View Post
    Hi Chris
    Looks like you guys are having fun but I couldn't see the Datsun 1200 stuff ?
    Yeah the domain was lost when I stopped updating after years of running it. The wordpress site is still up at www.beeoneoneoh.wordpress.com
    If you google beeoneoneoh you'll find lots of photos of mine and of my old Datsun 1200 truck. I did all the work on it myself and swapped an SR20DE engine (Nissan Silvia 2 litre non-turbo engine for those not into cars) into it. I drifted it a pretty good amount, it was crazy fun.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Shock will be sealed. We used to drill and braze a schrader valve on the bottom and refill with oil.

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    I thought the shock was a sealed unit. I will definitely look into that. The tread on the streetattack I'm running on the rear of my FXR is telling me the rebound is far too slow too.
    I'd be fitting something else were I you, but I understand that options are limited on an FXR unless you get all engineer on it's arse.

So Dave's solution might be the best.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    its certainly not the best, its just better to have new oil frothing than old oil frothing.

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    its certainly not the best, its just better to have new oil frothing than old oil frothing.
    I'm a massive advocate of suspension fluid being changed more regularly than engine oil. But it won't make up for substandard equipment.

Hasn't Robert speced a shock for the FXR?

Bike
    KTM 950ADV,DR750,APRILIA TUONO ,YZ290F
    Blog Entries
    Yeah the domain was lost when I stopped updating after years of running it. The wordpress site is still up at www.beeoneoneoh.wordpress.com
    If you google beeoneoneoh you'll find lots of photos of mine and of my old Datsun 1200 truck. I did all the work on it myself and swapped an SR20DE engine (Nissan Silvia 2 litre non-turbo engine for those not into cars) into it. I drifted it a pretty good amount, it was crazy fun.

Nice, will check it out.

BTW you didn't sell it right, if you had said hey guys look at this cool bucket racer transporting they would have all gushed with comments

Bike
    Blog Entries
    I'm a massive advocate of suspension fluid being changed more regularly than engine oil. But it won't make up for substandard equipment.

No idea I don't have an fxr but I can't imagine anyone paying the same amount as the whole bike for a shock.

just another reason why I went the RS route as it had a rebuildable shock.

the other smart option for Auckland crew would be to talk the Chris Picket and get him to shorten an MX shock.

Bike
    I just lost count
    Yep he does. There is a thread (read shit fight) on here if anyone wants details. It is probably need an oil change to get the best out of it.

For the record Qkkid was in my bed, not the other way round

Quote Originally Posted by Yow Ling View Post
    Pumba is a wise man.

Thread Information