Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Daytime running lamps?

Bike
    Between bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by leathel View Post
    I fitted some LED spots on the fork legs of the 1100 and they have been working pretty well
    Thanks for the input. Got any pics of them fitted on there?

Bike
    VT1100C 1993 /DRZ400E
    Quote Originally Posted by Erelyes View Post
    Thanks for the input. Got any pics of them fitted on there?
    http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...rogress-thread

some pics in that thread.... They are berried in my photobucket album so easier to link to that thread than find them

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    What are they like on the road though, against a wall is only goof for beam pattern, not fill rate. I mean it looks as if the ground immediately in front of you gets as much light as your high beam has to spread over the 50m or more ahead of that. Too bright up close can be a bad thing if it ruins your night vision for the further away stuff.
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    VT1100C 1993 /DRZ400E
    Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    What are they like on the road though, against a wall is only goof for beam pattern, not fill rate. I mean it looks as if the ground immediately in front of you gets as much light as your high beam has to spread over the 50m or more ahead of that. Too bright up close can be a bad thing if it ruins your night vision for the further away stuff.
    they are great on the road.. being concrete they look brighter than they do on the road, they are whiter than the headlight but not so bright they blind you loosing the high beam light, the high beam is brighter out further than the spots, the switch is on my bars and flicking the spots off doesn't make it better out further. I was going to change the headlight to the whiter headlight bulb but I haven't yet and don't feel the need to now.

Being the spots are mounted low they shadow the put holes and dips pretty well

Bike
    R1200GSA
    I just got Givi halogen lights put on the bike. Came as a kit. They dont look so bright when you stand beside them but when riding very early the other morning my mate (who was in front) asked me to turn them off, he couldnt see anything but the lights. Slight exaggeration I think and they probably do need a bit of adjustment.
    I definitely feel they make me more conspicuous though. Not safer, just more likely to be seen. I was filtering through heavy traffic yesterday on the way home and there were definitely more people who moved aside to let me through.
    Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times you have your breath taken away

Bike
    BMW R850RT
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulsterkiwi View Post
    I just got Givi halogen lights put on the bike. Came as a kit. They dont look so bright when you stand beside them but when riding very early the other morning my mate (who was in front) asked me to turn them off, he couldnt see anything but the lights. Slight exaggeration I think and they probably do need a bit of adjustment.
    I definitely feel they make me more conspicuous though. Not safer, just more likely to be seen. I was filtering through heavy traffic yesterday on the way home and there were definitely more people who moved aside to let me through.
    Worth considering that if your mate was dazzled and he has typical bike mirrors they'll be above car driver eye height, and so even if they're not dazzled (why would your mate lie?) then they're not likely to be able to see your indicators.

Bike
    R1200GSA
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperMac View Post
    Worth considering that if your mate was dazzled and he has typical bike mirrors they'll be above car driver eye height, and so even if they're not dazzled (why would your mate lie?) then they're not likely to be able to see your indicators.
    nah not implying he would lie, he said he 'couldnt see anything else but my lights', considering we had been riding for a couple of kms he probably meant something a bit less than complete blindness

but I see your point. here are a couple of photos, one is with the indicator on, I wonder how much the flashing makes it stand out? I understand I do need to adjust them though. Is there a trick to it or simply trial and error?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 2(13).JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	379.3 KB 
ID:	297285Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 1(12).JPG 
Views:	40 
Size:	387.5 KB 
ID:	297284
    Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times you have your breath taken away

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulsterkiwi View Post
    I wonder how much the flashing makes it stand out?
    not much, actually.
    it seems to me that the drl are definitely too bright.

moreover, i'd put them further below, nearer to the ground...

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    About to fits some extra DRL/spots, any traps for the unwary from our inspection experts, eg like above how close to indicators etc...
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Put them wherever is convenient, on a switch and angle then down slightly.

Bike
    BMW R850RT
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post
    About to fits some extra DRL/spots, any traps for the unwary from our inspection experts, eg like above how close to indicators etc...
    DRL and spots are intended to achieve two totally different things.

DRL should have a wide spread of light, while spots are a beam aimed in a certain way (eg to assist long-distance, supplementing main beam, or fog lights giving a low short spread which avoids reflection from water droplets).

DRL should be bright enough to be seen, but not cause glare. Compare that with main beam which can be seen from a distance and dipped beam which is intended to illuminate some of the road but has a cut-off to avoid dazzling drivers.

Bike
    Valkyrie 1500 ,HD softail, BMW r1150r
    Quote Originally Posted by leathel View Post
    Straw, rasp or boysen......?
    Opinions are like arseholes: Everybody has got one, but that doesn't mean you got to air it in public all the time....

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperMac View Post
    DRL and spots are intended to achieve two totally different things.

DRL should have a wide spread of light, while spots are a beam aimed in a certain way (eg to assist long-distance, supplementing main beam, or fog lights giving a low short spread which avoids reflection from water droplets).

DRL should be bright enough to be seen, but not cause glare. Compare that with main beam which can be seen from a distance and dipped beam which is intended to illuminate some of the road but has a cut-off to avoid dazzling drivers.
    Then there's my 3w dots. They're DRL's with no light throw at all. Only there to be seen.

Bike
    CB1300
    NZTA states Daytime Running Lights must automatically turn off whenever the main or dipped beams are engaged.

Hence my bike is fitted with body position lights.
    Which may be white or amber at the front or amber or red at the rear, no more than 1.5m off the ground unless mounting at less than 1.5 would be difficult.
    They may not dazzle.
    There is no requirement to switch them.

Stupid phone / Tapatalk, apologies in advance.

Bike
    CB1300
    More info at: http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/ge...hts-right.html

Stupid phone / Tapatalk, apologies in advance.

Thread Information