Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: So why AREN'T we riding?

Bike
    gone
    Quote Originally Posted by k14
    Well even though i am at work, i get a decent ride to and from work. Have a 30km ride and the last 10km are over twisty back taranaki roads that no one goes on apart from my work colleagues and a farmer or two.

The ride is so fun since i got my new bike. I know the road really well, so i can go fairly hard down it. Even managed to get the front wheel up today going over the crest of a hill at about 120

Anyone else get a good twisty ride to work down back country roads??
    Yeah. Sounds the same as yours, but I'm at 5 in the morning, so the trip home is better.

Bike
    2008 DRZ400E & 1983 CB152T
    Yeah, i have to start work at 7, so i leave home around 6:40 or so. Best time is 19mins, but that includes 18 or so kms of state highway 3. Another guy here has done 16mins from his house on his 2001 996

Bike
    Katana 750, VOR 450 Enduro
    Blog Entries
    I guess I'll chip in too.

I work at the National Library of NZ in Wellington, so it's the boring ride from Wallaceville, Upper Hutt, down River Road and SH2 to town, then in the afternoon I'm working at our parent company in Tawa, so up Ngauranga Gorge and SH1 to Tawa, then the homeward journey around Whitby - lovely slow (well, signposted slow) corners - and over Haywards Hill to home.

About 95kms riding a day to work and back...

Temperatures seems to have cooled a bit overnight though... so no more melting roads.

How has everyone else been faring on the melted tar? I rode to Napier and back on New Years day (about 600kms) and it was pretty interesting between Ekatahuna and Waipukurau - some interesting moments on the corners and my Sportmax 205 Touring tyre looked like a race tyre by the time I got the Napier - hunks of tar and rubber all over the edge of it!
    And I to my motorcycle parked like the soul of the junkyard. Restored, a bicycle fleshed with power, and tore off. Up Highway 106 continually drunk on the wind in my mouth. Wringing the handlebar for speed, wild to be wreckage forever.

- James Dickey, Cherrylog Road.

Bike
    Scorpio, XL1200N
    Quote Originally Posted by k14
    Anyone else get a good twisty ride to work down back country roads??
    When I have an extra ten minutes I commute via SH28 Riverhead->Coatesville instead of going down SH16 and across the harbour bridge. Nice scenery and some fun twisty bits, and I can top it off with some cager-annoying lanesplitting down SH1 southbound to the Northcote Rd offramp.

SH28 is really too open and fast for the FXR though. Hell, what road *isn't*.

Bike
    Manx TT by Sega
    Quote Originally Posted by celticno6
    I guess I'll chip in too.

I work at the National Library of NZ in Wellington, so it's the boring ride from Wallaceville, Upper Hutt, down River Road and SH2 to town, then in the afternoon I'm working at our parent company in Tawa, so up Ngauranga Gorge and SH1 to Tawa, then the homeward journey around Whitby - lovely slow (well, signposted slow) corners - and over Haywards Hill to home.

About 95kms riding a day to work and back...

Temperatures seems to have cooled a bit overnight though... so no more melting roads.

How has everyone else been faring on the melted tar? I rode to Napier and back on New Years day (about 600kms) and it was pretty interesting between Ekatahuna and Waipukurau - some interesting moments on the corners and my Sportmax 205 Touring tyre looked like a race tyre by the time I got the Napier - hunks of tar and rubber all over the edge of it!
    The road around Titahi Bay is great for knee down action.....and good for practising overtaking cars around the outside of corners......loved their expressions. You could go the long way and take Grays Rd.....bit short but a good punt.

Upper Hutt to Wellington is a pain in the arse - well policed, shit loads of traffic (including nutters at the Petone section of the m'way).

My commute to work takes 4mins (or one song) door to door. Hardly worth driving really.....but then the company provides me a car so it would be rude not to. Alas - no bike for 12 months min - so meh.

Bike
    Katana 750, VOR 450 Enduro
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wkid_one
    Alas - no bike for 12 months min - so meh.
    You've mentioned this a couple of times now, wkid. But considering you were off them completely not so long ago I have to ask:

Is it because of the highside injuries you're trying to heal that you won't be having a bike for 12 months, or have you lost your licence?
    And I to my motorcycle parked like the soul of the junkyard. Restored, a bicycle fleshed with power, and tore off. Up Highway 106 continually drunk on the wind in my mouth. Wringing the handlebar for speed, wild to be wreckage forever.

- James Dickey, Cherrylog Road.

Bike
    Manx TT by Sega
    Long long story.....short version - I am HOPING to have the license back in 12 months - provided I get the all clear from the quack.

As for giving it up - I only said I will give up riding on the road. If I get the all clear - it will be track only riding...but once again - one requires medical clearance.

Bike
    Not many, if any
    so like...legally you are not alowed to ride? like, you would get a $200 fine or somthing for riding whilst injured or something random like that?

Bike
    GSXR750 K4
    my excuse for not riding?.... I'm recovering from yesterday's ride and preparing for the next one!! HUZZAH!

Bike
    Manx TT by Sega
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwaka-Kid
    so like...legally you are not alowed to ride? like, you would get a $200 fine or somthing for riding whilst injured or something random like that?
    Talk to you about it on MSN next time you are on.

Bike
    KTM 690 DUKE R
    With weather like this there is no excuse not to ge out for a ride

Bike
    Sold

Angry Oh Dear.....

I'm not riding because I dropped the Blackbird last week.

I wish I could say that I was on a high speed blast but the truth of the matter is that I fell off at very low speed on the steep drive of our bach at Coromandel. and my legs were not long enough to hold it up on the camber.

The crash mushrooms helped no end, but a fairing panel was quite badly scratched and the brake lever is stuffed. I feel a total pillock. A big wad of cash to be passed to Larry of Reflections in the near future, but as far as I'm concerned he's the God of Sprayers.

Sad, sad, sad......

Bike
    xs400 -
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird
    I'm not riding because I dropped the Blackbird last week.

I wish I could say that I was on a high speed blast but the truth of the matter is that fell off at very low speed on the steep drive of our bach at Coromandel. and my legs were not long enough to hold it up on the camber.

The crash mushrooms helped no end, but a fairing panel was quite badly scratched and the brake lever is stuffed. I feel a total pillock. A big wad of cash to be passed to Larry of Reflections in the near future, but as far as I'm concerned he's the God of Sprayers.

Sad, sad, sad......
    Now , THATS a bastard!!!
    THe hand's farster than the eye ... keepan eye onda feet .. .

Bike
    Not many, if any
    sorry to hear about the blackbird dont hammer yourself too hard mate, it happens to the best even, and the worst as i proved when i did the same thing to my 750.

Yamahamaman Guest
    My Bike is due for it's 40,000km service and so I am using it to commute only

Back to the fun stuff after the 16 (that's when it is book for the service).

Thread Information