Page 95 of 121 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697105 ... LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,425 of 1810

Thread: FOR SALE - Drew and Alan's sidecar build

Bike
    less than I used to have
    Quote Originally Posted by nodrog View Post
    I could probably hook you up with a ready built one if your were keen?
    ...Lachie has it all there, ready to sort out...I think he was murmuring something about only needing wheels (and time). We did think that we could have it, or should have had it ready for Levels in a couple of weeks...wishful thinking really...thanks though...

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    We weighed the chair on a set of proper corner scales a mate has for his super tourer. FUCK!

The three bathroom scales we'd used previously must have been a bit inaccurte. With a tank of gas and all other fluids, and the clothes on it adds up to a touch over 300kg. Diet time!

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    We weighed the chair on a set of proper corner scales a mate has for his super tourer. FUCK!

The three bathroom scales we'd used previously must have been a bit inaccurte. With a tank of gas and all other fluids, and the clothes on it adds up to a touch over 300kg. Diet time!
    Pretty standard for something like that

First one I raced with a GSX1100 engine in was 320kg and it had been to Jenny Craig twice

Some dumb cunt also took the starter off to save weight, so by the time it was fired up and going I was already too fucked to race
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    Other peoples weapons....

Exactly the same as the bus. It was weighed at Eastern creek to be 282 with about 5 litres of juice in it, so close to 300 with full tank.

My old Porteous chair (ex Pate) used to only be 245 dry. No alternator, no starter..... titanium this, titanium that... kevlar fairings...
    Is it still beastiality if ya fuck a frozen chicken??

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Our fairings are insanely heavy, but the issue we can't fix is the weight bias when we are on it. Were we to put a Gixxer motor in, I think the further rearward distribution would make it unrideable.

Bike
    motocompo
    Re weight distribution. Pinkys spare fairing which we have never used, that was used at IOM has a weighted nose.
    Tracey discovered when she dinged pinky & the current fairings had a fairly heavy repair in the nose that it steered better. Its still about a quarter of the nose weight of the spare one though.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    Re weight distribution. Pinkys spare fairing which we have never used, that was used at IOM has a weighted nose.
    Tracey discovered when she dinged pinky & the current fairings had a fairly heavy repair in the nose that it steered better. Its still about a quarter of the nose weight of the spare one though.
    Hmmm...... I'm picking then that pinky could have a thou put in it.......

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    Tough decision as to whether adding more weight would benefit our lap times. It did at the Barry Sheen last year slightly, when we put the fairing back on after running without it.

Food for thought.

Bike
    Tough decision as to whether adding more weight would benefit our lap times. It did at the Barry Sheen last year slightly, when we put the fairing back on after running without it.

Food for thought.
    I think you'll find it had more to do with less drag than weight on the front.
    I did the same with the bus years ago, ran without a fairing, then put it back on. Was faster with it on.
    It never made an iota of difference to the handling, but the ergonomics were greatly improved.

A way to test it is at the drags.

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    We found we could turn right a lot better with the fairing on. No noticeable difference in speed, but that doesn't mean it wasn't faster. Without a dash we get no indication of how fast we're going.

That reminds me, fit the Koso dash so we gets a rev counter.

Bike
    Normally Suzuki
    We found we could turn right a lot better with the fairing on. No noticeable difference in speed, but that doesn't mean it wasn't faster. Without a dash we get no indication of how fast we're going.

Can you not just try jacking the rear end up, to put more weight on the front wheel, of run less pre load on front shocks to have it sitting lower
    shaun@motodynamix.co.nz

I love my job Call 0223210319--AKA Shaun

Bike

When I say we were faster, we were faster by over .5 of a sec at two tracks by comparison.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun Harris View Post
    Can you not just try jacking the rear end up, to put more weight on the front wheel, of run less pre load on front shocks to have it sitting lower
    Dude, we're talking about Drew here...... FFS!!!
    He will have to make a new front end, alter his steering head rake, alter his trail, change his shocks, more the engine forward by 20mm, put a smaller diameter tyre on the front, and larger on the rear, increase the size of his steering dampener, lower his handlebars, ballast the main fairing, move his instrument cluster forward, move his fuel tank further forward, move his battery forward, move his kneelers further forward, move his seat forward - then have to modify his brake and gear levers, move his radiator forward, move his oil cooler forward, move his sidewheel forward, then alter his sidewheel castor and wheel width, then move the passenger deck forward, and finally.... lengthen his chain.......

Did I miss anything???

He might be out for a season, but he'll get it right.....

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Quote Originally Posted by scrivy View Post
    Dude, we're talking about Drew here...... FFS!!!
    He will have to make a new front end, alter his steering head rake, alter his trail, change his shocks, more the engine forward by 20mm, put a smaller diameter tyre on the front, and larger on the rear, increase the size of his steering dampener, lower his handlebars, ballast the main fairing, move his instrument cluster forward, move his fuel tank further forward, move his battery forward, move his kneelers further forward, move his seat forward - then have to modify his brake and gear levers, move his radiator forward, move his oil cooler forward, move his sidewheel forward, then alter his sidewheel castor and wheel width, then move the passenger deck forward, and finally.... lengthen his chain.......

Did I miss anything???

He might be out for a season, but he'll get it right.....
    Fuck off with your exaggerations. The chair wheel is staying right where it is...but everything else except tyre sizes was right...though a 9" hoop might be better at the back.

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun Harris View Post
    Gets a bit tricky on account of the chair wheel. But it did occur to me.

Thread Information