Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: This is for the not so newbies

Bike
    Nothing :(
    Blog Entries

This is for the not so newbies

Seems like everyone you talk to when you tell them you're learning was a natural, got on a bike for the first time and off they went, like they were born to ride, fearless. Well is there anyone who's now a confident rider that was never any of these things? Anyone who's scared? maybe wanted to crap their daks? I never went into it thinking I was all that and a bag of chips, thought I might struggle and gosh darn was I right! I don't even know how to drive a manual so not a great start lol. Want to have hopefully a couple more lessons with an instructor before I go out on the road and despite dropping my bike multiple times (have the bruises and achey legs to show for it!) I sure as heck don't want to give up! Tell me I'm not a lost cause!

Bike
    Had a 2007 Suzuki C50T Boulevard
    Quote Originally Posted by bosslady View Post
    Seems like everyone you talk to when you tell them you're learning was a natural, got on a bike for the first time and off they went, like they were born to ride, fearless. Well is there anyone who's now a confident rider that was never any of these things? Anyone who's scared? maybe wanted to crap their daks? I never went into it thinking I was all that and a bag of chips, thought I might struggle and gosh darn was I right! I don't even know how to drive a manual so not a great start lol. Want to have hopefully a couple more lessons with an instructor before I go out on the road and despite dropping my bike multiple times (have the bruises and achey legs to show for it!) I sure as heck don't want to give up! Tell me I'm not a lost cause!
    Usually the difference between those who succeed and those who fail, is simply that the failures give up.

Maybe you're not a "natural" rider, but if you love it and want to ride, just relax, take your time, listen well, practise much and don't let yourself feel you can't do it. You're doing it right so far in getting an instructor. Keep on with it and all the best! You'll get a lot of support on here.
    You don't get to be an old dog without learning a few tricks.
    Shorai Powersports batteries are very trick!

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Edbear View Post
    Usually the difference between those who succeed and those who fail, is simply that the failures give up.

Maybe you're not a "natural" rider, but if you love it and want to ride, just relax, take your time, listen well, practise much and don't let yourself feel you can't do it. You're doing it right so far in getting an instructor. Keep on with it and all the best! You'll get a lot of support on here.
    I really, really.... really don't want to give up. No intention of being a racer but not much in life takes my interest, especially enough to put some money into it! Also I don't want to look like an asshole buying a bike, some nice gear then never getting on it or using it. And I sure as hell do delight in proving people wrong...

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Confidence will come, it will take time, but as Ed said ''You're doing it right so far in getting an instructor''.
    The road could be nothing but a danger zone if the confidence is not there.
    Do not feel the need to join in any group rides to soon either...just let things happen at your own pace.

Bike
    So old you won't care
    I'm definately NOT a natural on a bike and I've been doing for yonks. When I started I was too young to think about injury so I just went and did it... Now, I start shitting myself the second I take it off the stand but I'm not in any hurry to change that because over confidence killed more motorcyclists than nervousness ever did...

Look - riding any single tracked vehicle is a giant confidence trick coupled with some obscure physics and balanced agaist good fortune. Stop stressing and relax BUT if you are genuinely not coping have a good long think about things. You might want to learn to drive a manual first or summat. I still have a bent muffler from the last lady learning I was around... Learning to be a decent rider when you are a little older than 9 isnt quite that simple and quite frankly we have had enough incidents of late....

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Nobody would tell you they were anything other than a natural .... so don't bother asking about their stuff-ups ... They never made any ...

I got my license in the days of just learner and full license. (no L plate) A few weeks of learners and you could go for the full ...

Of course I was a natural too ... and have the scars to prove it ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    A
    Getting the instructor to set you on the right track shows you've got the right talent

I doubt any of us really were "natural riders" at the very outset. I wasn't, but as with any new skill, it doesn't take long to grasp. And don't get put off by constantly measuring your ability with any other rider, especially a seasoned rider.

Here's a funny little sentiment I was told when I took up driving trucks: "You can go around a corner too slow plenty of times, but go too fast once and it'll end in tears" and I've applied that simple logic to my riding over the years. Growing ability and confidence is a process, not an event. But hey, at least you've got the nous to go the instructor route and ask questions

Bike
    Had a 2007 Suzuki C50T Boulevard
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    Nobody would tell you they were anything other than a natural .... so don't bother asking about their stuff-ups ... They never made any ...

I got my license in the days of just learner and full license. (no L plate) A few weeks of learners and you could go for the full ...

Of course I was a natural too ... and have the scars to prove it ...
    Got my full straight away on a Honda 50 that i had to push up the wee hill he asked me to do a hiil start on. Honda 50's don't do hill starts... Local Cop was pretty laid back in '73.

Fortunately, and not always due to skill, I have never binned a bike.
    You don't get to be an old dog without learning a few tricks.
    Shorai Powersports batteries are very trick!

Bike
    FZR,Jog,GZ maybe CBR?
    I am a noob, but take from this what you will. The only professional training I have had was when I did my BHS. If it helps I dropped my bike 10 mins after buying it and stalled a heap of times (got my bike a few days before my test). My first day when I got the bike was pretty much all stalling. People laughed at me at one point, it wasn't my finest hour and pretty embarrassing.

I am okay with up and down shifting now, its pretty smooth but don't let me do a hill start - need a heap of work on that. I can counter-steer, mainly thanks to scooting but my cornering in general has room for improvement, rolling on the throttle mainly, can do it on the scoot am very hesitant with the bike. I still do the whole on and off thing from time to time.

I don't suck, I am new and I am learning what to do. I do know that one day, I may become a track day regular. Absolutely no reason why I couldn't either unless you tell yourself you can't. I get doubts too, but I remember the first time I rode out my street, changed (badly) into second, then third, then took a corner for the first time. The rush was intense. First time I hit Exup I felt the same way again. And I know if I give up, well hell I can't it's just so amazing being on 2 wheels. Take the bike out every day. I do. Even if its around the block. I plan on getting a mentor and getting some lessons soon too.

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    Tell ya what lady, people might THINK they were a natural, But I bet that in most cases there were experience riders watching from afar, thinking 'what the FUCK is this moron doing?'

we have a learning curve, what is probably beneficial to you is the recognition that you have a lot to learn.

If you have dropped your bike a few times, that might be a sign you need to stop, take a breath, and analyse why its happened. It might be a different set of circumstances in play each time its happened - but the underlying reason behind it could be the same.

Take your time and dont rush - most intelligent riders have a rule when it comes to riding, whether in groups or solo, and that it 'ride your own ride' the idea being that it doesnt matter if you are first, or last by an hour to the destiniation, what matters is you go at a pace you are comfortable with, because it is when you push yourself too far, or try to 'keep up' with someone else that you are likely to find yourself in a situation outside your ability to control. The same can be said of learning to ride in the first place - do it at YOUR pace ad take your time. Youll have way more fun that way

Bike
    750 auw
    First ride, instructor passed me on the ring road in london told me to hurry up. So i did, couldn't stop, and went through a plum red light at 60 mph in the pissing rain just missing the traffic moving off the green.

Not sure the moral of the story....

Bike
    '87 CR500, '10 RM144
    I'm certainly not a natural either. I flipped the first bike I got on after about 50 feet. I still do real dumb noob things sometimes. I've been riding 30 years.
    Don't worry about it.
    I'm a bit puzzled...you have an instructor now? Or are you going to get one? I'm thinking that if you already have one, and you've fallen multiple times (no offense) I think you need to find a new one.
    Drew for Prime Minister!

www.oldskoolperformance.com

www.prospeedmc.com for parts ex U.S.A ( He's a Kiwi! )

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Thanks everyone for your kind words. Just had another lesson tonight and mannnnnnnnn I feel SO much better. I explained to the instructor just to start with the basics again (this was my 2nd lesson) that I'm in no rush and if I have to have another lesson, then I will. I had a think about it last night and I think a lot of the problem is that I have a particular learning style, very visual and hands on and I have to repeat things over and over until I get it and without too much pressure or too much going on otherwise I get confused and panic. I still want another lesson but I think I've done enough to at least take it round the block, when my bloody gear arrives anyway! Still more to learn, I'm not up myself or a complacent person, like to think I'm a realist lol. Glad I'm getting better at looking where I'm going! all hope is not lost quite yet!

Bike
    Nada
    Find a mature, happy, engaging mentor...have some FUN and chillax as you will earn quicker

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Natural or no, the people who seem to stick with it and get the most from it in my opinion, are the ones who can have oodles of fun, on 125cc commuter. A scooter. Anything with two wheels.

Speed, power aren't required. Just enjoying two wheels.

Don't worry about falling off doing slow practice stuff, it's why you practice slow.

If you're under instruction already, and things aren't improving, I'm with Death on replacing them.

Thread Information