Thread: Repco MechPro Mig welder - anyone used one?

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries

Repco MechPro Mig welder - anyone used one?

Repco MechPro Mig welder - 150amp.

Anyone got or used one and if so are they any good? Looking for a home use only one and Repco have them on special. looks like a house brand name

Bike
    TF125
    Looks like a POS with adjustable wire feed but only two selectable voltage settings. There is no information showing with regards to Duty Cycle so I'm going to assume it will have SFA.

You get what you pay for.

This would be a better option and you're likely to be able to get a better price than showing on this page, talk to George Henry's about it ---> http://tradetools.co.nz/products/8310200

If you're able to increase your budget look at inverter-based machines. A good IGBT inverter will allow you to use solid wire with Co2 shielding gas and you can avoid a gas cylinder lease contract by owning your own bottle.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    gasless mig (flux core) would be the go.

if you don't need mig, get stick. D/C doesn't matter so much as the worst you're going to do is a rod at a go. i got one (repco or SCA or some other cheapshit chinese cheapshit.)
    does okay, heavy as shit and nowhere near as sexy as my cousins BOC, but for 1-200$, rather than 900, can't complain.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    I have a stick welder and it is good for the heavier stuff. A goodish Mig unit will handle light panel work that the stick will just blow holes in.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Mig unit will handle light panel work that the stick will just blow holes in.

steady hand, low current, thin rods... man up!

((swapping the leads can help too as it keeps the heat in the piece rather than the rod...))

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post

steady hand, low current, thin rods... man up!

((swapping the leads can help too as it keeps the heat in the piece rather than the rod...))

Yeah but it is still a gamble and untidy. Those little 1.5 mm rods get sapped up at an alarming speed! Best to use the correct tool for the job I reckon.

Bike
    In the rubbish bin

Anyone got or used one and if so are they any good? Looking for a home use only one and Repco have them on special. looks like a house brand name
    Come around and have a look at what I have.

They are much better than those mechpros. About same price to.

Bike
    94 900SS duke - ratty as

I have been using one for awhile with no problems at all. Good little general purpose welder. If you are not welding warships the duty cycle is just fine.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Yeah think that's what I have. Nasty piece of shit which in my hands creates lots of pooy splattery welds. However I am too lazy to do the prep right & too cheap to buy anything better.

I would replace it with the same, its been so bloody useful, but know your limits, good for making tools & captivating nuts or making simple brackets, or even tacking things in the right place so someone else can fully weld it.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Thread Information