Thread: Big clunk when changing from neutral to first

Bike
    Ducati 1198s

Big clunk when changing from neutral to first

Going from 2nd to 1st and 1st to 2nd is fine but if I'm sitting at the lights in neutral or am warming the bike up in neutral then change to first theres a big clunk when I do so. Seems to have gotten worse since the last oil change but that may just be coincidence.

Anything to worry about?

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    Quote Originally Posted by khabel View Post
    Going from 2nd to 1st and 1st to 2nd is fine but if I'm sitting at the lights in neutral or am warming the bike up in neutral then change to first theres a big clunk when I do so. Seems to have gotten worse since the last oil change but that may just be coincidence.

Anything to worry about?
    Not that uncommon - probably nothing serious. You might like to check cable tension etc - make sure there's not too much slack in there. But don't leave too little either!
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    What oil did you put it in? Its generally caused cos the clutch plates will stick to each other a bit even when there is no spring pressure (lever pulled in), the clunk is just the energy it takes to free em up getting applied through the driveline. I'm guessing its at its worst when you start it up in the morning than it is when sitting at the lights?
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    1991 Kawasaki ZXR400L1
    Or your clutch is just dragging a little. Try tightening your clutch cable using the adjusters next to the lever and see if that makes any difference.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    adjust that clutch like a motherfucker.

also, if you put in thicker oil, you mighta fucked it.

Bike
    Ducati 1198s
    Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    What oil did you put it in? Its generally caused cos the clutch plates will stick to each other a bit even when there is no spring pressure (lever pulled in), the clunk is just the energy it takes to free em up getting applied through the driveline. I'm guessing its at its worst when you start it up in the morning than it is when sitting at the lights?
    Yup, worse in the morning

I used Pennzoil 10-40

Bike
    XT660R / TTR250 / 2 old Montesa's
    Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post

What he said...................

My XT660R was doing that... Changed to Motul oil.. prob solved...
    Pete

90% of all Harleys built are still on the road... The other 10% made it back home...
    Ducati... Makeing riders into mechaincs since 1964...

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Will also be worse with a fast idle
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Warm it up and sit at the lights with the clutch in. Then it wont be an issue when you put it in gear.

But if you insist on not doing that ... try clicking up to second gear before you put it in first to take off .... the clunk will be less.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Thread Information