Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gears stuck?

Bike
    1989 Yamaha FZR400

Gears stuck?

Chinese motorbike, just bought it, has been sitting in somebody's garage for years... yet to fire it up, just turned the ignition on and gears show gear 5. a downshift makes the light go off, will only shift back up to 5 then, wont go up or down any further... whats going on here? if its in 5 and I downshift, it should go 4, not go off. And why is it getting stuck? Kickstart wont move an inch.. suspect because it's theoretically in gear 5. wheels wont move without clutch in (again, obviously because it's in gear 5?) Bike newbie, please help me out. Bike is a ZongShen ZS125-7 ... 125cc. Thanks!

Bike
    2017 Suzuki Dl1000
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielM8 View Post
    Chinese motorbike,....... Bike is a ZongShen ZS125-7 ... 125cc. Thanks!
    There is the main problem. However try changing down while rocking it forwards. Sometimes the dog clutch in the gearbox isn't lined up sufficiently.
    Time to ride

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    if its been sitting it could be a few things . .

first, try ricking the bike forward and backwards as you push the gear shifter down and see if thats makes any difference. can you find neutral?
    if you can find neutral, try the kickstarter again

If you cant find neutral, pull the clutch in, and see if you can move the kickstarter with the clutch in. if not, its probably seized. You can try whipping the plug out and putting a little oil down the plug hole and leaving it for a few days to see if you can free it up a little.

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    How far is it to the tip?

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Yeh get the gears moving around by spinning the rear wheel as you shift through them as the dogs often don't line up, another option is your indicator light is buggered maybe? Hard to tell from what you posted.

Quote Originally Posted by tigertim20 View Post

first, try ricking the bike forward and backwards as you push the gear shifter down and see if thats makes any difference. can you find neutral?

If you cant find neutral, pull the clutch in, and see if you can move the kickstarter with the clutch in. if not, its probably seized. You can try whipping the plug out and putting a little oil down the plug hole and leaving it for a few days to see if you can free it up a little.
    If its been sitting for a while I wouldn't be surprised if the clutch needs a good wack to free up.
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    Too far to ride by the sounds of it
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    1989 Yamaha FZR400
    Thanks! Just rocked in forward each time I kicked the gear lever down, it went 3 down then 3 back up... but its still not doing that little click each time, it feels like its still getting stuck.. in any case, let go of clutch lever, and the bike rolls forward/back now where it got stuck before... tried changing up gear and rolling again... rolled still. up again still rolls. does this mean it's stuck in neutral or is it meant to roll even when in gear? any other advice you can offer, does it need oil/greasing done being it's been 4 years, how do I do this? and do you recommend a newbie to bikes not open the transmission cover on the side or can no harm be done if i reassmble exactly as I deassembled..?

Cheers

Bike
    1989 Yamaha FZR400
    Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    Yeh get the gears moving around by spinning the rear wheel as you shift through them as the dogs often don't line up, another option is your indicator light is buggered maybe? Hard to tell from what you posted.

If its been sitting for a while I wouldn't be surprised if the clutch needs a good wack to free up.
    What other details can I give? I don't exactly know what I'm talking about, and am trying to learn what it all means as it comes to light... it did seem to free up a bit, I'll give it some more goes tomorrow.. rolling it and kicking the downshift.. although it feels like its not freely clicking and it's jamming half the time (but what do I know)

the clutch I think must be fine? as it wouldn't roll before, until I pulled the clutch in, and then the bike would roll fine... this would indicate the clutch is working fine right?

Bike
    2017 Suzuki Dl1000
    While rolling it forward, try changing down without using the clutch.
    Time to ride

Bike
    1989 Yamaha FZR400
    Quote Originally Posted by tigertim20 View Post

I'll have a go kicking it with the clutch in tomorrow when it's light enough (garage isn't very suitably lit at night time)... is it possible it has seized from time? it hasn't been started cranked or driven since it was left to sit 4 years ago.. it had done 150km since new on its first oil change and then left to sit

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    and do you recommend a newbie to bikes not open the transmission cover on the side or can no harm be done if i reassmble exactly as I deassembled..?
    What could possibly go wrong?

It's not like it's ever likely to go again.

Bike
    XT660R / TTR250 / 2 old Montesa's
    I think you have found the reason why it has been sitting for years...

You have to remove the motor from the frame & split it & have a look inside...

forget about the pushing /pocking/wobbling it.... It's more than that tool box can fix..
    if it hasn't free up by now chances are it's not going to...

Its a good bike to learn about what goes on inside a motor... Pull the fucker apart...
    Pete

90% of all Harleys built are still on the road... The other 10% made it back home...
    Ducati... Makeing riders into mechaincs since 1964...

Bike
    1989 Yamaha FZR400
    Quote Originally Posted by pete-blen View Post
    I think you have found the reason why it has been sitting for years...

You have to remove the motor from the frame & split it & have a look inside...

forget about the pushing /pocking/wobbling it.... It's more than that tool box can fix..
    if it hasn't free up by now chances are it's not going to...

Its a good bike to learn about what goes on inside a motor... Pull the fucker apart...
    A Few half second taps of the starter motor and it has come free now. Seems it was only slightly stuck.

Bike
    So old you won't care
    A Few half second taps of the starter motor and it has come free now. Seems it was only slightly stuck.
    Well be careful - its rare to only slightly hurt yourself if it all goes pear shaped....

Bike
    Forza 155 SE Pit Bike
    What could possibly go wrong?

It's not like it's ever likely to go again.
    I have a sneaking suspicion you're being ignored mate.
    Vote David Bain for MNZ president

Thread Information