Thread: Honda TLM50 idle and throttle troubles. Please help!

Bike
    1988 Honda GL145

Honda TLM50 idle and throttle troubles. Please help!

I have recently acquired a mid 80's (not sure of exact year) Honda TLM50 2stroke 50cc. I have been fixing it up and i have got it running. The bike starts after a good few kicks (sometime more than a few) and will idle for about 10 seconds then bog out. Also, if i open the trottle it will usually splutter and die straight away. Occasionally (if the bike doesn't die out) when i open the throttle it doesn't rev consistently, it sort of pulses, like wuub....wuub....wuub....then will die soon after. I gave the carb a good clean and also adjusted the air/fuel mix screws but it didn't seen to make a difference to any of my problems.

This is my first bike project so i'm fairly new to it all. Any insight would be very much appreciated! Need help!!

Bike
    1989 Yamaha FZR400
    Welcome to the world of old small engines. If its cdi ignition.. test your cdi still works. This can cause cutting out issues. Also check the choke (is it manual or auto Choke? The Autos break easily.. manual is not likely to be the issue

Also it should not be hard to kickstart at all and It.should run Evenly. Wonder if it could be your valves/timing

P.s when youve had your fun and learnt about these small engines, do yourself
    a Favour and buy a good condition working one. Old 50cc scoots will never do you any favours

Good luck

Daniel

Bike
    Suzuki RG400 Yamaha ST125 Yamaha TDR250
    Blog Entries
    Replace the pj
    "more than two strokes is masturbation"
    www.motoparts-online.com

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    by that I assume he means Pilot jet (small one down that tube in float bowl). Take it out & see if you can see through it & the hole to the carb throttle. Carbs can be difficult to clean of old gummed up petrol.

Also change the sparkplug.
    Again,

with another new one.

really.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Thread Information