Page 1 of 77 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Adventure pushies

Bike
    FransAlp 700

Adventure pushies

Fitness training for "proper" adventure biking of course...

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Looking on TM for a full suspension frame to start building a "new" MTB.
    My Diamondback Ascent with front suspension is not ergonomically suited to me at all.

The crosser is really nice to ride but gets hammered on the rocky tracks around here.
    If I do the Rainbow Rage next year, its the bike I'll be using.

There's an XL Giant Trance X3 frame I've got my eye on though...

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Just sorting a mountain bike now (Kona Cinder Cone)... I've accepted that I need to do something to get some semblance of fitness back, plus bicycles can go places motorcycles aren't allowed... at some point a mate or two and I will tour the South and explore a few of the places...

Interesting cycle going from road cycling over a decade ago to discovering engines, to getting a mountain bike (definitely no interest in cycling on the road again)...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Enfield cr250r
    Blog Entries
    I'm leaving may 13th to go around Japan , the bike is nothing special, 26 inch foldable Chinese made
    Added a wowee pro speaker but. I will say I like the suspension set up. Photo later

StephenClick image for larger version. 

Name:	563x338-2008071800002-2.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	45.7 KB 
ID:	281424
    "Look, Madame, where we live, look how we live ... look at the life we have...The Republic has forgotten us."

Bike
    3 black ones
    too old for this now. heres a pic of TA when i went on a wee ride with him
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0217.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	904.2 KB 
ID:	281422  

Bike
    91 R80GS
    Quote Originally Posted by cynna View Post
    too old for this now. Here's a pic of TA when I went on a wee ride with him

Ah yes the old "bugger this hill" look I've had that once or twice

We're pretty bloody lucky with the riding over here really.

Nordie I don't think it would be economical of you to make a bike up these days - a ready made bike would prob work out cheaper for you - maybe not as much fun but cheaper. I reckon with your height & strength you'd be a contender for a 29er.
    In life as in dance Grace glides on blistered feet

Bike
    Honda FT500, Yamaha WR250R
    Seeing as my GT200 is sparkless at the moment I'm spending more and more time on my mountain bike, night riding isn't something I'd really considered, but seeing as bedtime is 7ish for the boys it could be a good way to get a mid week ride in... I'll leave this here for later!

http://dx.com/p/ssc-p7-3-mode-900-lu...-4-18650-50947

I too am considering the leap to a full suspension something...

Something interesting for me is that my downhill riding has improved significantly since I started riding motorbikes. The realisation that the inertia of spinning wheels keeps you up right!

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    29er would be optimal but if I can get a frame and forks to suit, I can cannibalize my old bike for the rest of the parts.

Should be able to be out riding for <$500.

I'd rebuild the Diamondback V-Link which was a very nice ride but the frame is far too small.

I'd rebuild the Cannondale V-3000 as the size is perfect but the ride was awful from the back end. It looks really cool though.

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    29er would be optimal but if I can get a 2nd hand frame and forks to suit, I can cannibalize my old bike for the rest of the parts.

I'd rebuild the Diamondback V-Link which was a very nice ride but the frame is far too small.

I'd rebuild the Cannondale V-3000 as the size is perfect but the ride was awful from the back end. It looks really cool though.

Bike
    KTM 640 Enduro
    Quote Originally Posted by Willdat? View Post
    night riding isn't something I'd really considered, but seeing as bedtime is 7ish for the boys it could be a good way to get a mid week ride in... I'll leave this here for later!

!
    One on the helmet & one on the bars works mint. They'd probably outshine the 640's headlight. Went for the season's first night ride last week. The awesome Redwoods/Whakarewarewa MTB area is literally out the back gate from Rosie's work.

Cheers
    Clint

Bike
    91 R80GS
    Quote Originally Posted by clint640 View Post
    One on the helmet & one on the bars works mint. They'd probably outshine the 640's headlight. Went for the season's first night ride last week. The awesome Redwoods/Whakarewarewa MTB area is literally out the back gate from Rosie's work.

Cheers
    Clint
    Whaka forest is one of the few things I miss about about the Nth island. It's supposed to be even better now.

What kind of lites are people using now?

Bike
    91 R80GS
    Quote Originally Posted by Willdat? View Post

I too am considering the leap to a full suspension something...
    !
    Thanks Will I just went back & saw that. looks bloody cheap deal actually with free shipping to NZ too!!

The jump to a squish is very life-changing. Some hardcore hard-tail racers don't like the bobbing effect when climbing however I found more traction uphill with the squish. I started with a Gen 1 Trance - 4inch travel then went to a Santa cruz Nomad with about 6inch travel. I couldn't keep up with the fit technical guys I was riding with anymore so stopped doing the big knarly stuff & now lonewolf it nana style - much more fun. Consequently I swapped bikes back to a 2005 Speccy Stumpjumper & I love it. It is like a Toyota corolla or DRZ400- nothing particularly special about it but handles everything I can throw at it & is soooo comfortable, reasonably light & responsive.

If you are looking at a fully sus I would be looking at something around the $2K mark second hand unless you know of someone that looks after their bikes well. I just paid out $90 for a couple of bits of rubber for the front brake reservoir.

Bike
    KTM 640 Enduro
    Quote Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
    Whaka forest is one of the few things I miss about about the Nth island. It's supposed to be even better now.

What kind of lites are people using now?
    Yep, Whaka is great. There have been quite a few new tracks go in over the last few years & they get better at building them every time. If any of the adventure crowd are visiting Rot & are keen on a ride PM me or Rosie.

The Deal Extreme lights linked above are used by a lot of our mates too. Or you could pay 3x as much for half the light at T7

I've been thinking about fitting a diffuser lens of some sort to get more of a flood beam out of the one on my bars but they're pretty good really. Way more light & way less weight & bulk than the old 7Ah gel cell plus 20W Halogen setups we used to use.

Cheers
    Clint

Bike
    Agent Orange
    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    29er would be optimal but if I can get a frame and forks to suit, I can cannibalize my old bike for the rest of the parts.

Hey Fran,
    I've been looking for a 29er mtb or frame for a while now and they're too new gen for most to be selling yet. The ones that do sell are normally $2K plus.
    Is the XL Trance you've got yr eye on a 26" wheel option or 29er?
    I had a 2008 Trance but found it too energy sapping as a XC bike, ok as all mountain but for XC fast stuff, get an Anthem.
    If you want a 2007 Kona Kikapu fully, with RP3 rear shock, 5 inch Marzocchi Bombers on front, mint condition, let me know....cheap as bro

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyFrog View Post
    Hey Fran,
    I've been looking for a 29er mtb or frame for a while now and they're too new gen for most to be selling yet. The ones that do sell are normally $2K plus.
    Is the XL Trance you've got yr eye on a 26" wheel option or 29er?
    I had a 2008 Trance but found it too energy sapping as a XC bike, ok as all mountain but for XC fast stuff, get an Anthem.
    If you want a 2007 Kona Kikapu fully, with RP3 rear shock, 5 inch Marzocchi Bombers on front, mint condition, let me know....cheap as bro
    It's a 26" as far as I can tell. $250 for frame and shock.

Thread Information