Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rusty Nuts?

Bike
    TF125

Bike
    None any more
    There should be laws against posting circular links. Seriously.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    TF125
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher View Post
    There should be laws against posting circular links. Seriously.
    It wasn't before the post before mine got merged. Settle, Petal.

That said, I fucking hate that in Excel.

Bike
    None any more
    Quote Originally Posted by Madness View Post
    It wasn't before the post before mine got merged. Settle, Petal.
    Oh. OK then.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    2004 Honda ST1300 ABS

Unanswered Questions

Yes there are a few. I (too) am prepared to give Lee the benefit of the doubt. He has organised this rally for many years and had provided (with the help of the other Rusty's) thousands and thousands of kms of riding joy for thousands of motorcyclists. There are several questions unanswered. Have we seen our last Grand Challenge? What happened at the last Southern Cross? Is this the end of the Rusty's? I can feel for those who have lost money and I think it could be helpful for Lee to send out an update to everyone on what is going on. I must admit though, that a couple of those wondering or speculating and discussing this with me I have asked them the following question. Would you be prepared to step up and organise the Grand Challenge this year? Normally this was met with a shuffling of feet and the subject being changed quickly. That is part of the problem. For the Rusty's to go on if Lee cannot or will not - someone else is going to have to step up and be counted to head it up. Or I fear (leaving aside my personal nervousness about the Grand Challenge concept) it will be all over...
    Regards

DougieNZ
    J'Ville
    Wellington

Bike
    R1200GS Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by DougieNZ View Post
    I think it could be helpful for Lee to send out an update to everyone on what is going on.
    If the tone of any update resembles that of the info sheet I received before this year's Southern Cross Rally, then I don't want it. I've never read such a rude and aggressive "Welcome to my event, this is how it's going to happen". It entirely consisted of a rant regarding don't do this, that, or the next thing. Unsigned, poorly spelt, and quite unnessessarily disagreeable.

I don't care if Lee has had enough of running events, all he has to do is say so, and the matter will rest. It's the complete lack of any courtesy that winds me up. There are other organisers of events who know how to treat entrants to their events with respect, and in return they are respected.

Bike
    06 Transalp
    Blog Entries

News, but not good news :(

Just got this from the Rusty Nuts webmaster, please don't shoot the messenger.

Hi All

As many of you have noticed, Lee is currently without phone and internet. He's asked me to post the following to the website, and I've opted to send it on to website subscribers.

================================

The 2013 Grand Challenge won't be running this year. This is partly due to continuing problems with obtaining a new venue and partly due to the event just not being affordable to run, and partly due to the unneeded personal stress.

It was fun but 25 years was a good innings, so it's time to call it a day and RNMC will be put into limbo. I know some will not like it but I have to bite the bullet. This is not up for discussion.

RNMC is closed for foreseeable future or ever, whichever comes first. It is affecting my health trying to keep it going.

Thanks to everyone for their participation

- Lee
    Motorbike only search
    YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - CRC AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE CRC. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE

Bike
    None any more
    Very disappointing. So those of us who have parted with coin in readiness can expect a refund?

Bike
    R1200GS Adventure
    Expect away - let us know how you get on.

Bike
    2004 Honda ST1300 ABS

What Next?

I am glad clarification has been forthcoming

I have another interesting question here Hitcher:

Assuming that refunds and outstanding badges are forwarded, that will maybe be the last we hear of the Rusty Nuts Motorcycle Club. I think Lee in particular (and the other Rusty's in general) are due many thanks for the huge effort that has gone in to organising many events over the years. The ones I have attended have been awesone, and from my personal perspective he has been nothing but a gentleman and an efficient organiser who has put many hours in to ensuring participants enjoy themselves. I can undertand others perspectives may be different, but I can only speak from my own experience.

The big question is:

Will one of the Rusty's or the someone else be prepared to take up the challenge and organise the event? Maybe due to timing the Grand Challenge may be out this year - but is the Southern Cross 2015 achievable? The answer is yes - but only if someone is prepared to step up to the plate...
    Regards

DougieNZ
    J'Ville
    Wellington

Bike
    None any more
    While Lee is the driving force and event coordinator, he doesn't do everything for a Grand Challenge on his own. His team of volunteers provides considerable support: Route scoping and mapping; liaison with the constabulary; liaison with fuel stations; scrutineering; checkpoint crews; recovery vehicle/tail-end Charlie sweeping team; catering; venue management and so on. The logistics are considerable.

There's also some investment needed to underwrite the organisation of this too: production of badges and other ceremonial collateral; venue hire; catering costs; running costs for support vehicles and probably much more. Then there's the issue of debt recovery, uncertainty of participation/late cancellations.

Organising an alternative event requires more than just another Lee. It probably needs another 20-odd people prepared to set aside a weekend and some out-of-pocket cash to make a "Grand Challenge" happen.

I'd be happy to throw a hat into a ring to maintain the legacy of this iconic event, but only if there was a bunch of dedicated souls prepared to do likewise.

Bike
    2004 Honda ST1300 ABS

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher View Post
    I'd be happy to throw a hat into a ring to maintain the legacy of this iconic event, but only if there was a bunch of dedicated souls prepared to do likewise.
    Therein lies the problem methinks. I would not help with the Grand Challenge as I fundimentally think it is dangerous (even though I have done one myself). But that is a whole other debate!

But I would be prepared to assist with a Southern Cross. I really enjoyed the last one I did...
    Regards

DougieNZ
    J'Ville
    Wellington

Bike
    Concours 14, S10
    Quote Originally Posted by DougieNZ View Post
    Assuming that refunds and outstanding badges are forwarded, that will maybe be the last we hear of the Rusty Nuts Motorcycle Club. I think Lee in particular (and the other Rusty's in general) are due many thanks for the huge effort that has gone in to organising many events over the years. The ones I have attended have been awesone, and from my personal perspective he has been nothing but a gentleman and an efficient organiser who has put many hours in to ensuring participants enjoy themselves. I can undertand others perspectives may be different, but I can only speak from my own experience.
    I think most who have completed more than one Rusty Ride would agree with that. I'm still after a badge and a ten GC mug but concerned I may never see it.

There is no doubt of the huge amount of work that has been put in over the years and you can definitely understand it getting a bit much after a while.

As much as I like the GC - it is a lot of risk for someone to take on. The Rusty's have been lucky not have had a very serious incident over the years but in these H&S and PC mad times you'd have to ask who wants to take on the risk? A real shame.

Likewise Hitch, I might be able to be called upon in the future to help in some little way.

Bike
    2010 Honda ST1300
    Blog Entries
    Oh well, bloody good to have a definitive answer to the question after all the speculation.

...and for those that need their long ride fix later in the year, albeit little more than a cardboard cutout replica and poor second cousin to a GC, the Capital 1,000 Km Cruise will be on again this year on 09 November and this year, just for the sake of the Northerners, we are looking at a potential start from Putaruru....or somewhere up that aways...maybe?? (That is in addition to starts from Wgtn, Masterton, Napier & Palmy)

It is only a day ride but!...and aimed as an intro ride to potential GC'ers!...so don't expect midnight fangs up goat tracks. But I guess with no more GC's, we'll have to describe it as an intro to the TT2000.

Details should be posted in mid-August.

Damn I'm going to miss my GC fix though.
    How a man wins shows much of his character....How he loses shows all of it!!"
    Knute Rockne

Bike
    R1200GS Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by KoroJ View Post
    But I guess with no more GC's, we'll have to describe it as an intro to the TT2000.
    For those who are interested in the TT2000, the website for next year's ride should be going live in a week (www.tt2000.org), and for North Islanders who are interested I happen to know that there is to be a split start in 2014, with one in the Palmerston North area and the other in Blenheim. 30 NI checkpoints, 60 SI ones, and all riders will finish in Chch.

Thread Information