Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Oxford heated grips?

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Maha View Post
    The one with the broom?
    If you are a female, yeah get some, I got some for my wife.
    General gripe is that they only keep your palms warm, fingers still get cold etc, if you must go this way, add some hand guards for the best protection.
    Oh dear god! this thread should be in Biker Angels
    Not if you use hairspray/lipstick (flavoured) nail polish (any colour) a powder puff and or hair removing wax.... apparently
    I know of four people who use heated grips and all have said the same , that they (heated grips) feel good but don't warm the whole of your hands, it's the placebo effect where, because you have heated grips, your hands must be warm.
    I wear summer gloves all year round without girly grips, I stand by the placebo effect comment because of what those who have girly grips, have said about them.

''they're not magic and obviously your finger tips can still get cold'' different wording but what I said about them.

Hands in gloves get cold because of wind chill, eliminating that factor out of the equation cannot be done by heated grips alone.
    I have never said that I don't ride in bad weather, I have said that if it's shit weather I would not gear up and go for a ride, please be a little more factual when quoting what I say. And where have I used the the term pussies in regards to this subject?

The second and third sentence's don't even get a reply.

You should stick to the off road forums instead of continually quoting me with your own 'opinionated bullshit'.

Heated grips are obviously fine for some of those who use them, not all....fact.
    I don't own and never will own a Ducati, does that mean I cannot comment on them?

''grips only do so much'' and ''they're not magic and obviously your finger tips can still get cold'' is what I have been saying

My first post today ''General gripe is that they only keep your palms warm, fingers still get cold etc, if you must go this way, add some hand guards for the best protection.''

You pro heat grip guys need to 'chill' a tad... see what I did there?
    Man I wonder if this guy likes heated grips. If only he would post some more about them.

'girly grips'
    I used a different word, you got me, you were clearly implying something completely different.

Not going out when the weather is bad yet waffling to make out you're some sort of hardcore assless chaps wearing biker to people who like to use something you don't, I got that all wrong as well.

If I have to see your threads trying to be high and mighty while whinging like a kid regarding site content I'm going to call you out on filling threads with the exact thing you complain about, crap. Plus I'm out of coffee.

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazz View Post
    Fill ya boots, and thanks for taking the time in a sad attempt to justify your limp ravings.

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Quote Originally Posted by James Deuce View Post
    Heated grips make my hands tingle and go numb. I don't like them.
    How dare you have an opinion on heated grips, you'll upset the children, when does school go back?

Bike
    So old you won't care
    I'm a type 1 diabetic. Despite having good control my nerves, especially at the extremities gradually suffer and I have found I cant tolerate the cold now in them (and feet) anything like I could even 10 years ago... Heated grips help. Yes - hand guards also help but at the moment heated grips are enough.

Having warmth in my hands allows me to feel I have better control over the throttle and braking and makes me more confident. So - IMHO Heated grips are very good. Besides, If they were not good - they would not sell as many of them as they do...

ps - the old Oxford ones last about a year. The latest ones look a LOT better quality and design wise. They should last longer.

Bike
    Fill ya boots, and thanks for taking the time in a sad attempt to justify your limp ravings.
    Chin up. When do you start your heated grips blog? Can't wait.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1329400761728436582.gif 
Views:	10 
Size:	33.1 KB 
ID:	313544

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    I remember coming back from a fairly decent ride (Wellington - Castlepoint) and having the weather turn to a southerly halfway back. Strong winds, sleet, 2 hours riding to get home... winter gloves and all, by the time I got back I could hardly work the clutch / brakes / switchgear. Arms were numb from the elbow down. Never again.

I've got the latest generation Oxfords on the Ducati and can't imagine life without them, they're awesome. Am wintering on the bike while working on the car, ride no matter what the weather. Got to have them to know.

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazz View Post
    How many guys do you actually stalk on here? It's stating to rank up there with hair pulling...creepy.

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    The last set I had started coming on by themselves and couldn't be turned off except by disconnecting the battery. The switch was replaced under warranty but when I went to pick the bike up, the grips were warm and the battery was flat. Into the bin they went.
    That is a messed up install!
    There should be no power to the grips when you turn the key off, otherwise you invite the situation of accidentally leaving the grips on when you turn the bike off and flattening the battery.
    I have Oxford grips on both my bikes and had them on 2 previous bikes, both current bikes have grips turn off when bike is off, 1 previous bike had grips that stayed on when the key was off so I got a relay in there that ONLY fed power to the grips when the key was on.

My view on heated grips: some riders may be OK using the grips with summer gloves but I personally would still do the sane thing and wear winter gloves, I feel that I would otherwise have warm fronts of hands/fingers but cold backs of hands/fingers. I actually go with winter gloves, rain-off overgloves (to block the wind) and hot grips, this is for going to work at 3am when it is -2° Celsius. I ride 350km per week for 52 weeks (minus holidays) each year, regardless of weather - I wouldn't be without heated grips.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    I realised that having 105kg of man sliding into my rear was a tad uncomfortable
    "If the cops didn't see it, I didn't do it!"
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Bike
    Look at moi! Look at moi!
    Is stalking where you follow people around thread to thread positing shit about how much you love goats?
    Remind me, was that before or after you had a melt down about the lack of good content on here.

If so (considering it took me 30 seconds and I didn't have to leave this thread to find all your crap above) the way I read it:

Maha and his goats - 1
    Tazz - 0

You're a grown man right?

Anyway, your nut job self can have the last word here and once again tell us all how much you love to not use heated grips, in a heated grips thread, in case someone missed your cry for attention by not caring the first time you said it and called them names

Bike
    Hornet 900
    So assuming I am going to replace my older Oxford heated grips, should I go with the newer Oxford model?
    I can't seem to find many other options...

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Kendog View Post
    So assuming I am going to replace my older Oxford heated grips, should I go with the newer Oxford model?
    I can't seem to find many other options...
    I have Daytonas on the Bandit. Seem good and reliable. Kept my hands warm tonight in the rain and cold tonight.

Older Oxfords had a fault in the control box that went under the tank. They corrode. I have the new ones on my Hawk and they seem to be lasting well.

Guess your fingers could get cold if you are a Girly rider that rides with fingers covering the levers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    Mine
    Quote Originally Posted by p.dath View Post
    I haven't had heated grips for a while, but they always kept my whole hands warm. The whole grip is heated, and you fingers wrap around the grip - so why wouldn't they keep your hands and fingers warm.
    Ever sat by a bonfire on a cold night? One side toasty and the other freezing. Same effect.

My wife is one of the people Maha is talking about. Her fingers were toasty on the inside and cold on the outside. And she doesn't cover the levers. She's got hand guards on here current bike. We may well add heated grips at some stage.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

"Live to Ride, Ride to Live"

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by swbarnett View Post
    Ever sat by a bonfire on a cold night? One side toasty and the other freezing. Same effect.
    Stand still and you freeze ... only the lazy and stupid will ...

My wife is one of the people Maha is talking about. Her fingers were toasty on the inside and cold on the outside. And she doesn't cover the levers. She's got hand guards on here current bike. We may well add heated grips at some stage.
    I have never had heated grips on any motorcycle I've ever owned. Good quality gloves are cheaper and more reliable than any electrical aid you can install.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR

Captain Obvious strikes again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    Mine
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    I have never had heated grips on any motorcycle I've ever owned. Good quality gloves are cheaper and more reliable than any electrical aid you can install.
    Agreed. I've never had them either for the same reason.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

"Live to Ride, Ride to Live"

Thread Information