Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Oxford heated grips?

Bike
    2014DRZ400SM

Oxford heated grips?

hi there i have a gsx650f and want to no what people think of them and witch one to get ...cheers

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    Quote Originally Posted by cfxjason View Post
    hi there i have a gsx650f and want to no what people think of them and witch one to get ...cheers
    I've had Oxford heated grips for five years or so. They've worked perfectly for me. I fitted them myself without fucking too many things up (watch for glue spilling on the paintwork!). I'd recommend them.
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Used them on a couple of bikes over the last 6+ years. One controller failure (on the old rotary dial) and the 4 setting adjustable temp is excellent.

I'd stay away from the sports grip dimpled pattern. Grips wear down fast and I found they got slippery when my gloves were wet. Original swirl type pattern seems to be long lasting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    2007 Triumph Tiger 1050
    Blog Entries
    I have the daytona heated grips.. I like it because it has 3 settings: off, hot (takes a minute or 2 to get there), freakin hot (takes like 30 secs to get there). Also, the grips are comfy.
    "If a million people say a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing." - Anatole France
    "An education isn't how much you have committed to memory, or even how much you know. It's being able to differentiate between what you know and what you don't." - Anatole France
    ZRXOA #9170

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Quote Originally Posted by cfxjason View Post
    The one with the broom?
    If you are a female, yeah get some, I got some for my wife.

Bike
    RATS & RICE
    Blog Entries
    I have the Daytona hot grips on 3 of my bikes,They all have a 4 heat level control and with the big orange button (about 50c coin size) they are easy to use with gloves on.

Bike
    A big Wheel, and a sponge bob scooter :P
    Im about to fit some this weekend! (finaly)

I went for the Oxford Light hot grips...due to having a 90's honda! (There charging systems can be..."temperamental"--they can shit themselves just by looking at them funny! )

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4601.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	25.8 KB 
ID:	282880

These have a 3 amp draw, instead of the standard 4ish amps of the normal Oxford Grips, Yeah, not much diff I know, but it may help..and beside, they only have a 5 deg difference when on high and the switch is smaller so its easier to hide.

For a big bike like the OP's (That has a reliable charging system!), the standard hot grips would be perfect (Just remember to wire them into the ignition so you don't get a flat battery if you leave them on, or when some arsehole walks past ya bike an turns them on for ya!....oh, and use an in-line fuse!
    Last edited by willytheekid; 17th May 2013 at 13:04. Reason: ...I don't know why??

When Life thows me a curve
    ...I lean into it!

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    My experience has put me off Oxford.

Heated grips are great but the problem with the Oxford grips is the crappy quality contoller/switch. I went through several switches with the first pair of grips that I had. The quality was just embarrassing.

On my current bike, Oxford had changed to a new switch type so I thought I'd give them another try. They worked fine until one day the grips started to heat up and couldn't be turned off. I had to disconnect the wire from the battery. A replacement switch was supplied - when I went to start the bike later that day the grips were warm but the battery was flat. The replacement switch had done exactly the same thing.

The next replacement was ok but I didn't use the grips over summer. When I went to turn them on recently they wouldn't work. The switch had failed.

The above story is in the nature of a summary, I have actually lost count of the number of switches I have been through. This is all far too exciting for me so off came the grips and into the shit can they went.

It's a shame about the Oxford stuff, the idea is good but the quality is lacking.

I have no experience with the Daytona grips. I have been told that the only way to avoid the crap quality components is to buy BMW grips but...
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Street Triple R
    my bike had them fitted when I bougth it and after years of scoffing after trying them they are AWESOME.

I did have a controller shit itself and the original install was not thru a relay so it stranded me, but definitely love hot grips. If I was buying them the recommendation seems to be for daytona but what evs.

key point is the relay thing so they cannot draw current without the ignition being on.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    2007 Triumph Tiger 1050
    Blog Entries
    http://www.motomail.co.nz/estore/sty...eatedgrip.aspx

Daytona grips (they dont _all_ have a 4 position switch.. mine has 3)
    "If a million people say a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing." - Anatole France
    "An education isn't how much you have committed to memory, or even how much you know. It's being able to differentiate between what you know and what you don't." - Anatole France
    ZRXOA #9170

Bike
    None any more
    I've had Oxford heated grips on my last three rides. They're magic. I like the built-in gizmo that shuts them off when the bike's voltage drops below 10.5.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    http://www.torpedo7.co.nz/products/T...o-grip-heaters

I have these & they work really well, Switch is cheap but nothing you cant change out,
    What ever brand you end up with heated grips are great

Bike
    2007 Triumph Tiger 1050
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CBR4ME View Post
    http://www.torpedo7.co.nz/products/T...o-grip-heaters

I have these & they work really well, Switch is cheap but nothing you cant change out,
    What ever brand you end up with heated grips are great
    wonder if they would work on a seat?
    ZRXOA #9170

Bike

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by iYRe View Post
    wonder if they would work on a seat?
    I like what your saying

Bike
    my little pony
    13 year old daytonas for me, same pair fitted across 3 different rides.

Thread Information