Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Crashes, Falls and Drops

Bike
    2008, Honda CBR600RR
    Blog Entries

Crashes, Falls and Drops

How often do these really happen around us?

Reason I'm asking is that I have really only been riding for just over a month. And in that time I've had around me 5 crashes, falls or drops.

A friend wrote off his bike doing 30 round a corner (for once doing nothing stupid)
    Same friend just wrote off his new bike (we suspect) tonight. As soon as he text me I called him before my helmet was even off.
    Another friend brought me his mates written off bike that had happened on the Harbour Bridge that afternoon. So that I could see what happens when one goes over a car that stops suddenly.
    A club that I belong to sent a news letter out and in it mentioned that someone had crashed and was in surgery.
    At work a person that was meant to be interviewing dropped his bike in Orewa and was in hospital.

This has all happened in the space of a month. And tbh for a learner is a little daunting. Yes I am learning my lesions from others mistakes. But some of these riders were/are seasoned riders that know what they are doing.
    What's the point in living if you don't feel alive?

Toying with ones mortality shouldn't be this much fun.

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    I think you might be causing crashes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Alloy, stainless and Ti polishing.
    Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    It was on the good
    Quote Originally Posted by Juniper View Post
    Yes I am learning my lesions from others mistakes.
    I am pretty sure that you can get a cream for that.

Bike
    2015 HD Street 500
    I would be looking for a different group of people to ride with for a start.
    The group I ride with has has 3 offs in 8 years that I know of,
    Thats a group numbering around 60 different riders of all levels of experience
    To be old and wise, first you must be young and stupid.

Bike
    A fast one
    Then there is someone like me who in 5 years of riding (from nothing, not even a car) has never dropped or crashed a bike, seen an accident happen or know of anyone involved in an accident.

I just hope that trend continues

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    It depends on the group you're in, the riders, and the attitude etc.

On a blunt note, be happy it's just crashes. I ended up having to find more friends, as too many died or gave up after having friends die. I think it was about 6 deaths of people I knew in 4 years, or thereabouts.

Group I ride with now (well, when all schedules allow) encourage skilled riding, and even a ticket is a bit of a talking point as they don't occur too often. Doesn't mean you can't have fun, but you won't see us barrelling along at 200 clicks.

Find a group that suits you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Do you ride with your tits out or something? You're only supposed to do that when all riders are stationary.
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    S1000RR
    Wow Katman will love your friends.

If you can make it on Kiwibiker you can make it anywhere.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    ..but you won't see us barrelling along at 200 clicks...
    Jeezuz, old man. I reckon you think barrelling is for bourbon. By 200 you must mean miles?

I'll pretend I'm still young and do the freaky speeds at track days. 200 kph is a weekday ride through the 'rapa.
    Quote Originally Posted by James Deuce View Post
    Don't argue with the pigs, man. They'll tap your phones and steal your weed and make your old lady do things she won't do for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher View Post
    Sexually transmitted diseases are one thing, sexually affected carnage is something else entirely. Ladies, if his cock's that small that he's prepared to put you at risk for a root, look elsewhere. Seriously.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by blackdog View Post
    I'll pretend I'm still young and do the freaky speeds at track days. 200 kph is a weekday ride through the 'rapa.
    I had a moment of ... uh ... clarity, when standing in front of the judge pleading for a work licence after I collected too many collectables too quickly.

Stressful, need my licence for my job... noticed it's a damn sight cheaper staying within the law on many fronts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    2008, Honda CBR600RR
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Subike View Post
    I would be looking for a different group of people to ride with for a start.
    The group I ride with has has 3 offs in 8 years that I know of,
    Thats a group numbering around 60 different riders of all levels of experience
    It depends on the group you're in, the riders, and the attitude etc.

Find a group that suits you.
    Oh sorry I don't know the other examples but the one who dropped last night. He's been riding 14 years full time and done a couple of silly drops in his time mainly when he was a kid but never written off.

Bike
    2008, Honda CBR600RR
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    Do you ride with your tits out or something? You're only supposed to do that when all riders are stationary.
    I've almost caused crashes checking out, but never being checked out that I know of.

Bike
    2008, Honda CBR600RR
    Blog Entries

On a blunt note, be happy it's just crashes. I ended up having to find more friends, as too many died or gave up after having friends die. I think it was about 6 deaths of people I knew in 4 years, or thereabouts.

6?! That is a lot of death to be around 1 person at this age. I think that really does lift the curtain on the Rose tinted glasses.

I'm not quitting. Even after what I knew in the background, but what I thought was only a rare occurrence, has been amplified in reality.
    I will just learn to be much more aware of my environment.

Bike
    2008, Honda CBR600RR
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by The End View Post
    Then there is someone like me who in 5 years of riding (from nothing, not even a car) has never dropped or crashed a bike, seen an accident happen or know of anyone involved in an accident.

I just hope that trend continues
    I'll hang around you then!! Hope your trend rubs off.

Does lying on my driveway laughing with the bike on top o me count as a drop? We were pretty much stationary.

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Quote Originally Posted by Juniper View Post
    I'll hang around you then!! Hope your trend rubs off.

Does lying on my driveway laughing with the bike on top o me count as a drop? We were pretty much stationary.
    Drops (unlike crashes) happen to almost everyone at some stage. I have a had my license for 34 years an never had an accident. I have however, dropped bikes (stationary drops) on two occasions.
    Four rider deaths off the top of my head, have been so the because of the rider. Vigilance wins every time over complacency.

'seasoned riders that know what they are doing'... I know of someone in that category that has dropped/crashed more bikes than I have own. Nobody is exempt from the odd failure.

Thread Information