Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hi all. Newbie here.GN250 or yamaha Scorpio 225 (Guns and Harley's :))

Bike
    Nothing yet :(
    Blog Entries

Hi all. Newbie here.GN250 or yamaha Scorpio 225 (Guns and Harley's :))

Hi all I'm new to this so here i go . I just did my basic handling skills test and my theory is booked in for tomorrow .I'm looking at these two bikes......

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-605292190.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-607761376.htm

I'm about 6.1ft tall weigh about 110kg. I an use to driving farm bikes (DR200). I rode the yamaha scorpio for my basic handling test and found it a pretty nice little bike ,easy to Handel, light and still had a little up and go

I'm trying to make my mind up between the two and yes I know there are better bikes out there but they aren't as cheap. I live 50km up taihape rd so anything I get has to be able to keep up with traffic on the open road .

Any advice on witch one to get would be great thanks .

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Quote Originally Posted by Guns and Harley's :) View Post

I'm about 6.1ft tall weigh about 110kg. I an use to driving farm bikes (DR200). I rode the yamaha scorpio for my basic handling test and found it a pretty nice little bike ,easy to Handel, light and still had a little up and go
    Are you sure you're not Haydn something from us?

Bike
    2006 Suzuki Hayabusa
    Yamaha for the win. Would be riding one if they weren't so expensive

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    Are you sure you're not Haydn something from us?
    What do you mean ?

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by The Reibz View Post
    Yamaha for the win. Would be riding one if they weren't so expensive
    Hey the Reibz why the yamaha ?

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    What do you mean ?
    clearly not a classical fan.

Unsurprising given you admit to liking harleys.

Bike
    Kate
    If you like Harleys then the GN has a more cruiser style. An old GN250 dragged my fat arse over 27ks twice a day for several years on SH1 motorway into Wellington, and that included Ngaranga Gorge. Of course having owned a GN, but not a Scorpio, I am biased.

If you are coming from the more upright style of the DR then perhaps the Scropio is a better choice. More so than with a car, the style of the bike is more related to the personality of the rider.
    Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people. --- Unknown sage

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    clearly not a classical fan.

Unsurprising given you admit to liking harleys.
    Hahahaha yea problem is I don't have the money for something like a yamaha virgo (well the only one for sale in hawkes bay)and there's not that much around that's LAMS approved in cruiser style in hawed bay plus from what I hear the yamaha virgo is a bit small for some one my size.
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-598353067.htm

This is the only one in the hawkes bay

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Don't mind Akzle, his Bach is worse than his bite.

Bike
    bandit
    Quote Originally Posted by oneofsix View Post
    If you like Harleys then the GN has a more cruiser style. An old GN250 dragged my fat arse over 27ks twice a day for several years on SH1 motorway into Wellington, and that included Ngaranga Gorge. Of course having owned a GN, but not a Scorpio, I am biased.

If you are coming from the more upright style of the DR then perhaps the Scropio is a better choice. More so than with a car, the style of the bike is more related to the personality of the rider.

Yeah .. I agree .. but at your height the ginny (fucken road lice - I hate them) may be a bit cramped - your link didn't go to any bike so it's hard to say .. but Ginnies with the higher bars handle like shit and will cramp you up for sure ... replace them with lower bars and you may be fine ...

The Scorpio is probably a better bet from that perspective ..

plus from what I hear the yamaha virgo is a bit small for some one my size.
    Yeah .. and so to the Ginny ...
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    KTM
    Quote Originally Posted by Guns and Harley's :);bt5750
    Hey jeff thanks for the comment do these bikes pop up very often ??as I want to get mobile ASAP . Do you think the GN and Scorpio would be to small for me to do the 50km trip on ?
    Hey dude,

ATM there are about 5 Bandit 250's on Trademe, Auckland, Wellington, and everywhere inbetween, from $1.8 here
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-592188151.htm

to $2.3 here
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-608712728.htm

and more options if you poke around here -
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Cate...ch_suggested=0

I dunno when I was 110kg and on my learners the Bandit 250 I had was PERFECT for 100kph riding, as well as being nippy in the city.

Anything smaller like the GN250 and ya might just wish you'd gotten something a little bigger.

The bandit is easy to ride, and cheap to maintain too!

Just another option in your price range to look at

Bike
    2000 Honda Hornet 600
    I started off on the Scorpio and it is a good bike. Easy to handle, reliable and stays at 110kph comfortably (even with my 110kgs and 6' 1" height). Not the most comfy for tall riders but better than a "crouching tiger"-style sports bike.

Both bikes are not made of the best materials so rust can set in easily if you don't keep them clean (older GNs are apparently better made). The Scorpio's made in Indonesia and the GN in China nowadays.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behaviour does.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Banditbandit View Post
    Yeah .. I agree .. but at your height the ginny (fucken road lice - I hate them) may be a bit cramped - your link didn't go to any bike so it's hard to say .. but Ginnies with the higher bars handle like shit and will cramp you up for sure ... replace them with lower bars and you may be fine ...

The Scorpio is probably a better bet from that perspective ..

Yeah .. and so to the Ginny ...
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-607761376.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-605292190.htm

Here's the links again hope they work

Bike
    Suzuki
    Hi, I bought the Scorpio you mention from Hastings Honda yesterday for my son who has just got his learners. I had a good ride on it and was quite impressed. I am 6ft 3inches tall and found the leg room acceptable on a 60km ride, it does need better handle bars but would handle the Taihape Rd ok for a low powered bike. I think the GN would be a little small for you but they are still good learner bikes. The scorpio has a bit more grunt than the DR200 you have been riding.

Bike
    1999 Honda Hornet CB600FX
    With your height and weight I would not recommend the Ginny. I'm half your weight and much shorter and it's great for me. But you would be cramped and the bike would be dead slow (to the point where you possibly can't keep up with road traffic which makes it dangerous, too).

Can't say much about the Scorpio, but it does have only 225 cc and I don't think it will be a much better bike (or worse bike) than the GN. Seat height might be slightly higher than the GN's.

Have a look at those Bandits Jeff Sichoe was talking about. Although I'm not sure about their seat height (internet says 76 and 80) which is quite a difference. These bikes have a power to weight ratio that is much better suited for you. And they are not much more expensive than the GNs or Scorpios.

Thread Information