Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carb/injection compared?

Bike
    Bikeless.NNnnnooooooooo!
    Blog Entries

Carb/injection compared?

Hi Guys

Back when bikes started coming out with fuel injection.... Did anyone have the same model 4 cyl. road bike twice... one carburettor fuelled and then the other with fuel injection...same cc and advertised power.

What differences did you notice if any?

Thanks

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LBD View Post
    Hi Guys

Back when bikes started coming out with fuel injection.... Did anyone have the same model 4 cyl. road bike twice... one carburettor fuelled and then the other with fuel injection...same cc and advertised power.

What differences did you notice if any?

Thanks
    carbys are baws

Bike
    A
    GSX-R750 for me. Late 80's was a carby version, late 90's was injected. Too many other differences to draw any meaningful conclusion.

One thing I definitely don't miss from the earlier versions was the woeful rubber, never mind how it was fuelled

Bike
    Bikeless.NNnnnooooooooo!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    baws
    Speak English... wots baws?

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    97 GSXR750, and a 98 GSXR750. Only difference between the bikes is fueling. Spent decent seat time on both.

Injected is smooth and useable, carved was peaky and tended to take a lot of getting used to.

Bike
    Blandit 1200, DRZ250 K, Beta xtrainer
    Quote Originally Posted by LBD View Post
    Speak English... wots baws?
    It's a Northland dialect, loosely translated it means " my name is axle and I am a fuckwit who doesn't even own a bike, let alone know anything about them"

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    i thought the 01, and 02 R1 motors were basically the same, apart from the 02 being injected.

supposed to be slightly better power and slightly better economy was my understanding.

injection also supposed to provide more linear power delivery

Bike
    06 scrambler,xrl,
    Blog Entries
    Mate had a carbed GPZ1100, then the early inj one.
    He preferred the carbs.
    The early injection units were pretty basic,

Bike
    Roadstar 1600 & Royal Star Venture
    Quote Originally Posted by tri boy View Post
    Mate had a carbed GPZ1100, then the early inj one.
    He preferred the carbs.
    The early injection units were pretty basic,
    was about to mention that one myself, GPz1100's of the early 80's the injection was thirstier and overall not as pleasant a ride, the Yamaha XJ750 injection.... used the same bodywork as the 750 turbo, seemed an OK attempt. but really no good injection systems around till the late 90's.
    If the road to hell is paved with good intentions; and a man is judged by his deeds and his actions, why say it's the thought that counts? -GrayWolf

Bike
    M109R, GS1200ss, RMX450Z, ZX-12R
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayWolf View Post
    was about to mention that one myself, GPz1100's of the early 80's the injection was thirstier and overall not as pleasant a ride, the Yamaha XJ750 injection.... used the same bodywork as the 750 turbo, seemed an OK attempt. but really no good injection systems around till the late 90's.
    The 84 XJ750D had a Hitachi injection system, fuelled a lot better over the standard carbed Xj750, was more economical & had a couple more hp also; had one of the 1st ones in chch imported by Pacific Motorcycles as a grey import went really well until it fried the ecu (cost half the purchase price of the bike for a new one ex japan). Its the 650 turbo too, the 750d had a full digital dash & fancier computer system....almost identical bikes at a glance but a few differences & one of the best fully faired bikes I've ridden for weather protection

Bike
    Bikeless.NNnnnooooooooo!
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Guys... not much in it and seems to have been different from model to model...

It is the XJR1300 before and after I was particular interested in ... 2005/2006 change to injection

Bike
    2003 Tuono
    I have a 06 Bandit 1200 which was the last year of the oil cooled carbed engines.
    I've removed the carbs and fitted throttle bodies from an injected bike along with a new ECU etc.

Engine is definitely more lively, mainly as the throttle response is now really sharp and as others mentioned fuel economy gets better.

It really depends a lot though on what the carb setup was previously. If they are CV carbs the throttle response will be slightly 'damped' due to how the slides react but if an engine had flatsides or similar the throttle response would be pretty good as it is.
    Also note that a lot of injected bikes have the secondary butterflies which also mellow them down and you might find there isn't all too much in it in a standard setup. This obviously depends on the type of bike as it will be tuned to suit.

Bike
    bandit
    Yeah - I have carbed and injected bandits .. the biggest diference is that when you open the throttle on the injected engines something happens ... on the carbed models there is a delay before something happens ...

But hey - that's bugger all in it and just takes a little difference in riding style .
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    Blandit 1200, DRZ250 K, Beta xtrainer
    I can't do a same model comparo, but my carbed gsx 1200 was a lot smoother and easier to ride smoothly than my FZ01 injected, especially at low throttle openings,but the FZ is a lot quicker with throttle response and power. Same with my Wr250 r v my DRZ250. I find most carbs smoother than injection, except my GSXR, which fuels beautifully.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    As a total side note I find it disturbing how many new bike reviews comment on poor fueling (injected bikes) with a typical factory download later on to cure this. Non Japanese as a rule - Triumph and the assorted Italian beasts. Rushed to the dealers to meet a marketing deadline? Or do their test rider just fang the shit out of them everywhere and don;t give a shit about lower rev stumbles.

Thread Information