Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Drug testing?

Bike
    '09 Bandit 1250s

Drug testing?

This is causing drama on fb. SNZ is now drug testing by taking urine samples. People are complaining because they can't get stoned the week before a race meeting.

Do you think it's fair to drug test people who are operating bikes which are capable of killing and harming people?

Side note, mouth swabs have been offered as an alternative to check if any drugs have been taken recently, but will a swab show drugs taken through injection, snorting or up the bum? And should SNZ give a shit if the drugs were taken recently or is any indication of drugs enough to justify a ban?

Bike
    Nowt any more
    Ah shit, I thought you were going to say you had some and wanted to share......

Answer to question is a bit of a no-brainer I would think....
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." John Ono Lennon.

"If you have never stared off into the distance then your life is a shame." Counting Crows

"The girls were in tight dresses, just like sweets in cellophane" Joe Jackson

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Bring it on.....

Bike
    '09 Bandit 1250s
    You would think it was a no brainer, but according to a 40+ year old, my comments about it making racing safer for everyone makes me immature?

I'd rather not be on a race track with a person who isn't 100% sober. When you race, another competitor can cause you serious injuries. On drugs the risk of that happening increase.

And no I'm not giving away drugs lol

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    I'd rather race against someone who was stoned the night before than one who was pissed to the eyes.

The whole "drugs" issue studiously avoids "legal" drugs.
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

Bike
    KX450 Motard/Flat Track KTM150SX H2R
    Quote Originally Posted by haydes55 View Post
    This is causing drama on fb. SNZ is now drug testing by taking urine samples. People are complaining because they can't get stoned the week before a race meeting.

Do you think it's fair to drug test people who are operating bikes which are capable of killing and harming people?

Side note, mouth swabs have been offered as an alternative to check if any drugs have been taken recently, but will a swab show drugs taken through injection, snorting or up the bum? And should SNZ give a shit if the drugs were taken recently or is any indication of drugs enough to justify a ban?
    MNZ have drug tested for a long time, there was a very well known racer that got banned for a year for testing positive for recreational drugs, have not seen them around the mx tracks for a few years,

I know i got put though a drug and alcahol test at huntly speedway a few years ago when i was racing their, , think it was a club thing tho,

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    The presence of THC in one's system does not necessarily indicate impairment.

Bike
    None
    Drug test the ''mechanics'' as well. I bet more than a few riders have come to grief because of improperly prepared machines ( loose caliper bolts etc ) That's a real potential to injure or kill a rider and others in his/her path.

Ph: 06 751 2100 * Email: robert@kss.net.nz
    Mob: 021 825 514 * Fax: 06 751 4551

Bike
    Bikes!
    Will it include legal that warn of impairment on the box, like antihistamines? Does that mean that racers affected by hayfever can no longer race in the summer?

Bike
    Bikes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Taylor View Post
    Drug test the ''mechanics'' as well. I bet more than a few riders have come to grief because of improperly prepared machines ( loose caliper bolts etc ) That's a real potential to injure or kill a rider and others in his/her path.
    The powers that be would be highly negligent if this was not the case! I mean, it's an identified hazard, and they're already providing testing facilities... to not carry it out on mechanics as well would be effectively wasting the effort putting into testing the riders.

Bike
    2011 Suziki V strom 650
    Blog Entries
    Do you drug test yourself and your mechanics? I agree loose calliper bolts can have the same effects on road bikes. I thought the scrutineering process would pick up loose bolts, as well as those that haven't been lock wired. Perhaps we should drug test the scrutineers too
    Legalise anarchy

Bike
    '09 Bandit 1250s
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post

It is impossible to tell if a person tests positive to THC whether they are or aren't impaired.

If a fatality occurs and an involved competitor tests positive for THC, would the police charge the competitor? Whether impaired or not, police would lay charges.

Bike
    '14 Multistrada 1200S
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    correct, it remains in the system for weeks
    F M S

Bike
    '09 Bandit 1250s

good thing we have no brakes haha.

90% of the time riders are their own mechanics. Usually if a rider has a mechanic they are their father. All bikes are scrutineered and I know myself when I rode I would double check anything someone else touched.

Bike
    '09 Bandit 1250s
    Quote Originally Posted by imdying View Post
    Will it include legal that warn of impairment on the box, like antihistamines? Does that mean that racers affected by hayfever can no longer race in the summer?

a doctors note is accepted for antihistamines and codeine. Being a urine sample, a positive result for explained substances won't stop you from racing the meeting but it may be tested after the positive reading to test the level of the drug in your system (too much codeine to be explained will be a ban).

Thread Information