Page 19 of 90 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969 ... LastLast

Thread: Canterbury Trail Rides?

Bike
    BSA A10
    Looks like I'll be back into this shortly, little bro is donating me a couple of RMX250 so I should be able to fuck myself up on one of those quite well

I still need to get them down from Blenheim though so might still be a couple of weeks or so before I have them
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    2012 Yamaha WR 450. 2014 Beta 300RR 2t.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
    Looks like I'll be back into this shortly, little bro is donating me a couple of RMX250 so I should be able to fuck myself up on one of those quite well

I still need to get them down from Blenheim though so might still be a couple of weeks or so before I have them

Donations, well your the lucky one, my brothers were never that generous or trusting. You'll get hooked once again.
    Are they both runners? Or is one for parts ? Either way that's great news.
    flashg

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by flashg View Post
    Donations, well your the lucky one, my brothers were never that generous or trusting. You'll get hooked once again.
    Are they both runners? Or is one for parts ? Either way that's great news.
    One is a 1990 which needs a throttle cable and front brake caliper/master cylinder to be a runner and is pretty manky, the other is a 96 in better condition which is all go

The brake caliper is the same 89-96 and common to a lot of Suzuki models along with the master cylinder so shouldn't be to hard to source
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Bike
    One is a 1990 which needs a throttle cable and front brake caliper/master cylinder to be a runner and is pretty manky, the other is a 96 in better condition which is all go

The brake caliper is the same 89-96 and common to a lot of Suzuki models along with the master cylinder so shouldn't be to hard to source

You'll be keen to pick them up asap so you can get back into it. Hope you kept your gear.
    I was looking for a YZ front master cylinder for a mate, plenty around but bloody costly considering the age of the bikes they come off. Best of luck with that, but with one runner, no hurry for you.
    flashg

Bike

Score.

I'm taking something with a tow ball down in the next 2-3 weeks. My trailer is already down there but if your bro can lend you one I can probably throw it on the back of the bus. Not sure if I could take trailer back same trip though but could another time

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazz View Post
    Score.

I'm taking something with a tow ball down in the next 2-3 weeks. My trailer is already down there but if your bro can lend you one I can probably throw it on the back of the bus. Not sure if I could take trailer back same trip though but could another time
    Thanks but he doesn't have a trailer, I'll probably go up weekend after this and get them

Bike
    1996,Yamaha TTR 250 2006, kawasaki KDX20

eek Waipara river ride.

Has any one out there been on a ride lately form the Amberley Beach entrance, state highway 1 bridge, or from the Stringers rd bridge entrance? Could you tell me what the river levels were like ect, as I was wanting to take the family for a ride.
    Cheers

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Motoman View Post
    Has any one out there been on a ride lately form the Amberley Beach entrance, state highway 1 bridge, or from the Stringers rd bridge entrance? Could you tell me what the river levels were like ect, as I was wanting to take the family for a ride.
    Cheers
    I had a nose around (not on bike) last Monday and it was very low. Soft shingle patches are more of a problem in the Waipara usually, but probably more so for things for 4 wheels than two

Not sure on access problems these days (a google will probably answer that) but carrying on up to the gorge is a nice trip.

Bike
    Heading up the gorge is private land and private river. There are council signs up past where the old waipara pub was, stating this. The farmers have had fences across the river with stock camped in the river bed.
    And when it's all over the news about the state of Amberley water supply, you gotta wonder if stock in the river bed is the problem. But they are allowed it seems. Different rules and all that.
    flashg

Bike
    less than I used to have
    ...My mate Ross doing what he does most days, broken foot and leg at time of this vid...Banks Peninsula for those that dont recognise the terrain...

Bike
    Heading up the gorge is private land and private river. There are council signs up past where the old waipara pub was, stating this. The farmers have had fences across the river with stock camped in the river bed.
    And when it's all over the news about the state of Amberley water supply, you gotta wonder if stock in the river bed is the problem. But they are allowed it seems. Different rules and all that.
    Didn't realize it was that bad. Had my finger a little bit more on the pulse on O.R.E a few years back.

Stock in waterways is illegal as fuck.

There is some accommodation place up there that was trying to turn the gorge into their own private retreat at one point from memory. Rumour was they went as far as to move some of those round boulders about too. Might be different owners now.

Just looked it up access wise though:

http://www.waiparariver.org.nz/manage2.html

Any fence across the river should warrant some action going off that...

Anyway, that's further north than SH1, which is a good spin.

Bike
    We on bikes are allowed access basically from SH1 to the beach legally (that's what the signs indicate), but many bikes sneak up to the gorge. The farmers have had taranaki gates in those temporary fences that cross the river for 4x4 access last year. Although I don't know if the fences went up this year. Someone may have got a smack on the wrist tut tut.
    flashg

Bike
    Suzuki DR650, Beta Xtrainer with CLAKE
    We on bikes are allowed access basically from SH1 to the beach legally (that's what the signs indicate), but many bikes sneak up to the gorge. The farmers have had taranaki gates in those temporary fences that cross the river for 4x4 access last year. Although I don't know if the fences went up this year. Someone may have got a smack on the wrist tut tut.
    From Stringers Bridge up to the gorge IS public access by either the paper road up the river or navigable waterways act, I have had run ins with them in the past, they claim all sorts of shit but that's all it is.

Check this web site, http://wams.org.nz/wams_desktop/index.aspx on the left menu go to public access areas, Road (formed and Unformed), also check Hydro Areas furhter down the page.

Some good info on where you can and cant go.

There are many paper roads through farm land which if you really wanted to prove a point you could however out of respect for a working farm contacting the landowner is the only way I would approach that.
    Cheers Paul
    Check out our new website www.motomox.co.nz my very own sand pit with lots of cool toys

My bikes Suzuki DR650 2010, Beta Xtrainer 300 2016, Beta RR498 2014

Bike
    BSA A10
    Thanks but he doesn't have a trailer, I'll probably go up weekend after this and get them
    Mint, Dad was up there this weekend and has bought them back to Cheviot for me so the return trip to pick them up just got about 5-6 hours shorter

Bike
    Mint, Dad was up there this weekend and has bought them back to Cheviot for me so the return trip to pick them up just got about 5-6 hours shorter

Good stuff. Sneak up this week and get them. And then go on the Conway trail ride on Sunday. Or just pick up the good one on your way to the ride. Now there's a plan
    flashg

Thread Information