Page 162 of 196 FirstFirst ... 62112152160161162163164172 ... LastLast
Results 2,416 to 2,430 of 2931

Thread: MotoGP 2014

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    Moto GP hasn't really been around that long...if you want to see long careers have a look at several guys who won GP's in the 1930's and came back and won post war up to the mid 1950's.
    Umm this is how Dorna see it,

Boasting 65 years of history, MotoGP is the oldest of all motorsports World Championships - its first annual competition having been held in 1949.
    From the early 1900s motorcycle Grands Prix were held in various countries and in 1938 the predecessor to the current FIM, the FICM (Fédération Internationale des Clubs Motocyclistes), announced a European Championship. However, the start of the Second World War interrupted the competition and it then took some time after the war for fuel to become available, before a truly international series could be created.

EARLY DAYS
    When the first formal World Championship was held in 1949 Grand Prix racing comprised four solo classes, with the inaugural ‘premier class’ 500cc title being won by British rider Leslie Graham on AJS machinery. Another Brit, Freddie Frith (Velocette) took the first ever 350cc World title, while Italians Bruno Ruffo (Moto Guzzi) and Nello Pagani (Mondial) were the first 250cc and 125cc World Champions respectively.
    A 600cc sidecar championship in the same season was won by Britons Eric Oliver and Denis Jenkinson with Norton machinery, though the sidecar category became a 500cc competition in 1951.

Robert Leslie (Les) Graham DFC was a Lancaster pilot in the war. There is a memorial to him on Snaefel in the IoM, the memorial though is not at the site of hs accident.
    His road racing career started in 1929 and ended tragically in 1953. So thats a span of 24 years. As Grumph suggests Rossi has a way to go, but not *that* far - he started in 1993.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Oh almost forgot, as an aspiring curmudgeon - although some may dispute the aspiring part - Nick Harris' pronunciation of "Bastianini" got up my nose again last night.
    So I sent a message to Dorna asking that they please get someone to tell Harris how to pronounce the name.

Then during the MotoGP race he started to pronounce Tavullia as Tavoola. Now I'm worried. That's the same "ia" combination that defeats him in Bastianini's monicker.
    I hope he doesn't have a reading disability because then I'll feel bad. Well, just a little. If he isn't sure he could at least ask his co-commentator.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Aprillia RSV1000R 92 KX500
    Blog Entries
    Yep, that was great seeing Rossi put the bit between his teeth and win a straight up fist fight! Racing is such a confidence game, it would be great to see him put the gloves on every race now!

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    Umm this is how Dorna see it,

Boasting 65 years of history, MotoGP is the oldest of all motorsports World Championships - its first annual competition having been held in 1949.
    From the early 1900s motorcycle Grands Prix were held in various countries and in 1938 the predecessor to the current FIM, the FICM (Fédération Internationale des Clubs Motocyclistes), announced a European Championship. However, the start of the Second World War interrupted the competition and it then took some time after the war for fuel to become available, before a truly international series could be created.

EARLY DAYS
    When the first formal World Championship was held in 1949 Grand Prix racing comprised four solo classes, with the inaugural ‘premier class’ 500cc title being won by British rider Leslie Graham on AJS machinery. Another Brit, Freddie Frith (Velocette) took the first ever 350cc World title, while Italians Bruno Ruffo (Moto Guzzi) and Nello Pagani (Mondial) were the first 250cc and 125cc World Champions respectively.
    A 600cc sidecar championship in the same season was won by Britons Eric Oliver and Denis Jenkinson with Norton machinery, though the sidecar category became a 500cc competition in 1951.

Robert Leslie (Les) Graham DFC was a Lancaster pilot in the war. There is a memorial to him on Snaefel in the IoM, the memorial though is not at the site of hs accident.
    His road racing career started in 1929 and ended tragically in 1953. So thats a span of 24 years. As Grumph suggests Rossi has a way to go, but not *that* far - he started in 1993.
    As an old bastard, i don't consider that dorna had any right to adopt the previous history of world championship motorcycle racing and call it "Moto GP".....I'm very sure that the people who competed previous wouldn't recognise it now. But that's just my opinion....

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    - Nick Harris' pronunciation of "Bastianini" got up my nose again last night.
    So I sent a message to Dorna asking that they please get someone to tell Harris how to pronounce the name.
    Good ,he gives me the shits every GP pritch !
    Then during the MotoGP race he started to pronounce Tavullia as Tavoola. Now I'm worried. That's the same "ia" combination that defeats him in Bastianini's monicker.
    I hope he doesn't have a reading disability because then I'll feel bad. Well, just a little. If he isn't sure he could at least ask his co-commentator.
    I thought last night that if he would just shutup or talk slower and half as much it would be an improvement.
    Who's the other dude,he was better ?
    Anyway pritch , great racing ,I enjoyed the lot. Vale winning was a bonus.

You'd never go hungry with Nigella Gaz.
    If it weren't for flashbacks...I'd have no memory at all..

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    As an old bastard, i don't consider that dorna had any right to adopt the previous history of world championship motorcycle racing and call it "Moto GP".....I'm very sure that the people who competed previous wouldn't recognise it now. But that's just my opinion....
    While unsure of the exact legal details I believe Dorna run the World Championship for the FIM.
    Basically it's still the FIM championship but the day to day running and marketing has been taken over by Dorna. Especially the marketing...

Things have changed though, riders didn't used to have big motorhomes, they used to sleep in vans or with their bikes in tents. One used to sleep in the back of a Mark VII Jag. Then again over half a century has passed and the whole world has moved on. I am nervous about the big money that motivates the sport now. But I'm loving the racing and the fact that I can get it on my computer or my TV while it's actually happening. That's different to how it used to be too.

Bike
    22"Z900rsSE, Z1R, FZR1000, KTM 2 smoker
    Dunno why but I've never really liked him his moves always seemed a bit desperate/dangerous? His interviews a little I love me??
    I reckon he's lucky Aprilia has saved his ass.

Right choice you reckon???

Bautista joins Aprilia for 2015 season

Bautista joins Aprilia for 2015 season
    Monday, 15 September 2014
    Spanish rider Alvaro Bautista will ride one of the official Aprilias that will race next year in the MotoGP™ Championship, managed by the Aprilia Gresini Racing Team.
    The agreement with Bautista is valid for two years, for the 2015 and 2016 seasons. A rider with vast experience, Bautista – born in Talavera de la Reina on 21 November 1984 – took his first world championship steps astride an Aprilia 125cc, which he rode to victory as World Champion in the "eighth litre" class in 2006.

In his fifth year in the top category, MotoGP™, Bautista boasts 3 podiums and one pole position and his trophy case includes a total of 16 wins, 33 podiums and 18 pole positions.

The signing of Alvaro Bautista comes just a few hours after the official announcement that the Aprilia brand will return to the MotoGP™ World Championship – already in 2015, one year ahead of the previously announced plan – through a four year cooperation with the Gresini Racing Team and Aprilia Racing manager, Romano Albesiano, commented with satisfaction.

"This represents another step in defining the team that will take the Aprilia bikes onto the track for the next MotoGP™ season" said Mr Albesiano. "On Friday we announced our return to the championship with Gresini Racing. Today we have inserted another very important tile in the mosaic by announcing Bautista's signing. I am particularly satisfied because Alvaro has been confirmed on a team that he already knows well, creating the basis for that rapidity in finding maximum competitiveness that led us to moving up our plans to return to MotoGP™".

"I am happy to be able to continue working with Bautista - confirmed Fausto Gresini - Alvaro has significant experience in MotoGP™ so his contribution will certainly be essential in developing the new projects with Aprilia in the best possible way. I believe very much in him and his potential and I am confident that he will be able to bring us the results we are expecting. Also, this two year agreement will allow us to maintain continuity in the bond between Alvaro and Gresini racing which was formed in 2012 and that has been strengthened over the years".

Also enthusiastic about the new project is Alvaro Bautista: "I am very happy to have signed an agreement with Aprilia or the next to MotoGP™ World Championship seasons. Working in close contact with a manufacturer is what I wanted for my future and Aprilia has offered me a great chance. I am also very motivated to embark on this new adventure because I am coming back to a brand that has brought me great satisfaction in the past and with which I have shared some great times. Above all, the cooperation between Aprilia Racing and Gresini Racing will allow me to stay on a team that I've been racing with already for three years and which has become like a family to me. I have worked directly for a manufacturer in the past and I really liked developing a new project together. Knowing that I'll be able to count on the support of so many engineers and technicians is exciting and I can't wait to get started working with them".
    On a Motorcycle you're penetrating distance, right along with the machine!! In a car you're just a spectator, the windshields like a TV!!

'Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out! Shouting, ' Holy sh!t... What a Ride!! '

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reckless View Post
    Dunno why but I've never really liked him his moves always seemed a bit desperate/dangerous? His interviews a little I love me??
    I reckon he's lucky Aprilia has saved his ass.
    Right choice you reckon???
    [I]Bautista joins Aprilia for 2015 season

The signing of Alvaro Bautista comes just a few hours after the official announcement that the Aprilia brand will return to the MotoGP™ World Championship – already in 2015, one year ahead of the previously announced plan – through a four year cooperation with the Gresini Racing Team and Aprilia Racing manager, Romano Albesiano, commented with satisfaction.
    ]
    I followed him a bit in 250 Reckless, he had some good rides there.But he does seem a loose unit in Motogp. He has been involved in a few bingles.
    I met his personal trainer this year and he seemed to think that the potential is there.
    Maybe he has contacts or brings money to Gresini ??/

Bike
    Normally Suzuki
    He has huge potentuall and the proffessionals in the sport know that or he would not be there still or with a new factory contract.
    shaun@motodynamix.co.nz

I love my job Call 0223210319--AKA Shaun

Bike
    F3 racebike, Ducatis
    Quote Originally Posted by sugilite View Post
    Yep, that was great seeing Rossi put the bit between his teeth and win a straight up fist fight! Racing is such a confidence game, it would be great to see him put the gloves on every race now!
    Looks like Yamaha drive and top end now pretty good too - bonus!

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    Quote Originally Posted by codgyoleracer View Post
    Looks like Yamaha drive and top end now pretty good too - bonus!
    I'm going out now to put in some laps ,but it's a bit damp for quick times on the RC13R Husqvarna.

But seriously ,yes the Yam did seem to be improved Huh.

Bike
    F3 racebike, Ducatis
    Quote Originally Posted by roogazza View Post
    I'm going out now to put in some laps ,but it's a bit damp for quick times on the RC13R Husqvarna.

But seriously ,yes the Yam did seem to be improved Huh.
    Those have to be the Gayest pushers of MM bike seen yet ........

Bike
    RD350 KTM790R, 2 x BMW R80G/S, XT500
    Quote Originally Posted by codgyoleracer View Post
    Those have to be the Gayest pushers of MM bike seen yet ........
    Vale's home town is 5km away.
    MM's lucky they didn't set fire to it...

Bike
    It was on the good
    Quote Originally Posted by Moto-Dynamix View Post
    He has huge potentuall and the proffessionals in the sport know that or he would not be there still or with a new factory contract.
    His eyes are too close together.

Bike
    Nowt any more
    Eugene Laverty to Aspar Honda 2015.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." John Ono Lennon.

"If you have never stared off into the distance then your life is a shame." Counting Crows

"The girls were in tight dresses, just like sweets in cellophane" Joe Jackson

Thread Information