Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Music app for bikers

Bike
    2005 Suzuki GZ250

Music app for bikers

Hey guys, this is a follow-up to the poll asking whether you listen to music from your Android/iDevice while riding.

The results were pretty positive, so I went ahead with this idea of a new music app for bikers that reads out information in between songs. The first version has just been released - currently it will read out new text messages, missed calls, the time and your phone battery. Of course there's lots of potential for other useful info while you're riding, like weather/wind warnings, traffic congestion, etc. These are in development but I'm interested to hear other ideas as well.

To use it you can literally just open it and hit the play button - it'll shuffle all the music on your phone and give you notifications from time to time or when new messages come in.

If you have an Android phone, give it a go and let me know what you reckon. Feedback is welcome - the more detailed the better.

To get it just look up "Radiodrive" in the play store on your phone or go here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...dev.radiodrive

It's a free app on Android for now - an iPhone version will depend on how this one goes. It's also exclusive to NZ at this stage (keen to have it totally "developed in NZ"...)

Cheers, Matt

Disclaimer: I'm not encouraging anyone that doesn't already listen to music while riding to try this app. Obviously there may be extra risk involved and if you choose to do so it's probably best to keep the volume reasonably low.

Screenshots:

Bike
    Awesome idea man. Will nab it now and give it a crack starting from tonight =)

Could you get it to disable any alarms you have set that require you to touch the screen to disable too and just turn it into a wee voice thing or something if possible?
    Just for those of us too dumb to remember to turn recurring ones off haha

Bike
    Rocket 111 Touring (2010)
    Looks like a good idea and I wish you luck. Unfortunately I have an older version of Android so can't try it.

Bike
    A fast one
    This looks really cool! Downloading it now and will give it a go and report results

Why do you have it set to be exclusive to New Zealand only?

Bike
    Superduke 990
    Thanks Matt. This looks really good. I like how customisable it is, and the interface is very intuitive. The design is clean and simple. I'll have more if a play with it this week and give some further feedback. Hoping I can exclude some music folders.

Now the problem is going to be battery life. Been thinking about getting one of thise 10k MaH back-up batteries for rides. I think that riding rurally drains battery especially quick as phone searches for signal and switches between network types.

WELLINGTON: Tag-o-rama

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by FLUB View Post
    Looks like a good idea and I wish you luck. Unfortunately I have an older version of Android so can't try it.
    Bugger, me too =(

Bike
    2005 Suzuki GZ250
    Thanks everyone. Yeah this version is just for Android 4.0 and up. Supporting 2.3 (gingerbread) is a bit of extra work but seems to be something I should look into.

@rustyrobot Yeah battery life is definitely a problem. The app does have a feature to auto-pause when the battery gets low, although testing it today on my LG Optimius One it isn't 100% reliable. The battery issue is only made worse by turning on GPS, which is unfortunate because a lot of cool features will need that.

@Tazz I'll look into disabling alarms, not sure if it's possible though. Haha I can imagine having your alarm going off in your ears while riding would be a bit of a hazard...

Bike
    Dont have one now
    Way cool. iPhone one please

Bike
    2000 kawasaki zzr1100, 88 1500 goldwing
    Quote Originally Posted by rustyrobot View Post
    Now the problem is going to be battery life. Been thinking about getting one of thise 10k MaH back-up batteries for rides. I think that riding rurally drains battery especially quick as phone searches for signal and switches between network types.
    welcome to my world real simple fix tho, couple of options, those back up batteries are great and you can slip em in to your pocket with ya phone, but it is also extremely easy to fit an accessory plug on a bike, on my zzr i have one on a wire fitted under the seat and on the wing i mounted one in the front compartment box and am about to mount one in one of the rear compartments for SWMBO

never a problem, only a solution waiting to be found

Bike
    Superduke 990
    Quote Originally Posted by russd7 View Post
    it is also extremely easy to fit an accessory plug on a bike, on my zzr i have one on a wire fitted under the seat and on the wing i mounted one in the front compartment box and am about to mount one in one of the rear compartments for SWMBO
    Yeah, I had considered that but am a little hesitant about being "wired to the bike". Not least because I can imagine myself forgetting, jumping off and wrenching some cord from somewhere. How do you find this?

Personally I blame Thomas Edison for ruining the career of Nikolai Tesla and his potential cordless energy source/device.

On topic: Just used the music player while mowing the lawns and it was great to get the time updates. No one sent me a text though - Nigel NoMates. Also thought about some additions to the application/service like feeds for traffic issues in the local area, or serious weather warnings for the region.

Didn't run the battery low, so no update on whether it works with my phone, but will let you know.

WELLINGTON: Tag-o-rama

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    interesting concept. might give this a go!

Bike
    2000 kawasaki zzr1100, 88 1500 goldwing
    Yeah, I had considered that but am a little hesitant about being "wired to the bike". Not least because I can imagine myself forgetting, jumping off and wrenching some cord from somewhere. How do you find this?

Personally I blame Thomas Edison for ruining the career of Nikolai Tesla and his potential cordless energy source/device.

On topic: Just used the music player while mowing the lawns and it was great to get the time updates. No one sent me a text though - Nigel NoMates. Also thought about some additions to the application/service like feeds for traffic issues in the local area, or serious weather warnings for the region.

Didn't run the battery low, so no update on whether it works with my phone, but will let you know.
    when i was using head phones with my MP3 i had the player in tank bag, now with bluetooth off phone if i need to charge again i just put phone in tank bag and no wires to me anyway.
    might have to get one o those android things so i can try this out, it looks good

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by maraudingkiwi View Post
    Thanks everyone. Yeah this version is just for Android 4.0 and up. Supporting 2.3 (gingerbread) is a bit of extra work but seems to be something I should look into.

@rustyrobot Yeah battery life is definitely a problem. The app does have a feature to auto-pause when the battery gets low, although testing it today on my LG Optimius One it isn't 100% reliable. The battery issue is only made worse by turning on GPS, which is unfortunate because a lot of cool features will need that.

@Tazz I'll look into disabling alarms, not sure if it's possible though. Haha I can imagine having your alarm going off in your ears while riding would be a bit of a hazard...
    Probably easier for us to upgrade me thinks. Been meaning to reset my phone to fix a few things anyway.

As for the alarm, I use an alarm clock app (extreme alarm clock or some such). Rather than fark around making it suit 100's of different phone alarm setups, maybe just tailor it to the most popular alarm app and if people want to use the feature, they just need to nab that specific app?
    I don't really know if many would find it handy or if it would be worth your time, but food for thought as they say.

I don't like the idea of that either, however you could either have your spare battery on the charger (probably only handy for 'adventure' riders?), orrrrr, have wireless/bluetooth headphones/helmet setup

Spare battery is probably the easiest and cheapest route if you don't mind pulling over to swap it and are organized enough to always have the spare charged. I'm going to give wireless a go at some stage though personally.

Bike
    Rocket 111 Touring (2010)
    I have a Galaxy Note that I use on the bike and in the car all the time to play music using Bluetooth. Battery lifetime is not an issue because the most power hungry part of smartphones (apart from calls) is that nice big bright display, which will be off to save power.

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries

The magnetic connector as used in MacBooks would be good. I suppose Apple have the idea completely locked up with patents.
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Thread Information