Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The new (20 year old) ride and the progress thread

Bike
    VT1100C 1993 /DRZ400E
    I finally got around to sorting a mount for the camera on the bike..... Probably keep forgetting to turn it on like on the 750 but its now able to be used

Used a scope torch mount and milled a scope ring to fit in the camera guide to attach to the mount, I had to get some longer screws to fit it around the indicator rubber but I am quite happy with the way it works.... just need to test it in daylight now, the video below was taken in half light... just before dark. (the test ride was to test the mount not the camera as I have used that on other bikes)

the view it gives, taken on dusk so not showing how good the camera is but the mount seams OK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxLp...ature=youtu.be

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by leathel View Post
    the view it gives, taken on dusk so not showing how good the camera is but the mount seams OK
    It is better at showing how good it is if anything with the way it copes with the dark and headlights coming at it. Mind sharing some details? Nice work on the mount too. Is the camera powered off the bike yeah?

Bike
    VT1100C 1993 /DRZ400E
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazz View Post
    It is better at showing how good it is if anything with the way it copes with the dark and headlights coming at it. Mind sharing some details? Nice work on the mount too. Is the camera powered off the bike yeah?
    The camera is in built battery powered, charges when hooked to the computer and seams to last OK. I have used it on another bike and it used to handle a couple of hours OK, never run it flat.

Its a cheaper camera I got of DX.com when they discounted it.... nothing flash but from memory did 1080....Not sure what its set on and need to find the book to see how to change it, I remember different colour lights on top to the style and quality of recording but cant remember what each means

Bike
    mutton dressed up as lamb and a 73 XL250
    Nice work indeed fella,bike really does look good.Good on ya.
    Be the person your dog thinks you are...

Bike
    VT1100C 1993 /DRZ400E
    OK so my video mount was too tight for the rubber indicator mount... started parting company, removed the camera and used the Glue I use to fit windscreens to fix the indicator..... Got a Cell phone holder that had a clamp that will work on my 32mm bars..... so got 2 clamps and modded one for the camera

Some footage from the bars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0l0...s6uuuS9NA9Jygg

(soundtrack is Mark"Fatt Max" Hill)

Just got to watch the speed while mounted there, some movement too but not too bad... the cell bracket should work on a indicator as well as it wont be too tight to squash the rubber, or will fir over the actual hard section

I will take some pics when I get a chance

Bike
    VT1100C 1993 /DRZ400E
    Adding a couple of updates that didn't find there way here

After fitting the LED spots a ways back I have been thinking High Beam could do with more distance... I have been looking for a replacement headlight I like with a deeper dish but most are to $$ or plastic and being this bike has very little of that I want it to stay that way

HID headlight would be a good options but there was doubt in legality for a Warrant of fitness

While in a shop I came across a 100/55 watt headlight bulb, Big difference between high and low isn't a good idea as its like turning the light off on dip but my LED spots flood very well on dip (Fog lens fitted so they can be used on dip) so that wont be an issue (I hope)

Running a high watt bulb will load the switch up and loose brightness and cook the switch so I figured a Relay feed battery source would sort that out

shit everywhere ... just to change a bulb

Relay tucked in to the frame nicely

cover on hides it all

Power feed from the battery to inline fuse, to the relay, relay activated by the high beam wire that used to headlight that I cut at the plug, power to the light via a heavier wire from the relay .

I have been running with the light setup for a while now and I must say I like the extra punch it has to light up the reflectors well down the road

Bike
    VT1100C 1993 /DRZ400E
    Pre Thunder beach I did a little tweaking of the carbs... The bike went well on the Hamilton North Special Needs School run and used less fuel than ever before but still had the power

I had the bike pretty much ready then Karen mentioned she may not go to the Thunder beach run.... and with Rose as pillion and iffy weather forecast I thought I better get a pack rack fitted to give me more space to fit gear on.

I went a bit old school school for it .... and I also fitted the front floor boards

Barrel bag is easy to remove and put it on top of the pack

A couple of pics from the trip

Bike
    CB1300
    Cool thread.

Stupid phone / Tapatalk, apologies in advance.

Bike
    VT1100C 1993 /DRZ400E
    Well after my starter Died on the way back from New Plymouth (last stop fortunately) and a push start got me home (Thank you Caseye and phreak)

After an inspect I ordered new x states, the year later was available in NZ but wrong spline.

Last night I rode it, 100 mile night ride

Good to be back on the road after nearly 3 weeks of no road riding

New Braided brake line, new brake master, New starter....all good to go, go the shift the bike on the jack, grab the throttle and it slides off!

Fark glad that didn't happen on the road, the heated grip I fitted have the throttle sleeve built in and I assumed it would be one piece...but no, the cable section is glued on

So to get me on the road for my Thursday night ride I put the std one back on and I will look at the heated grip when I get a moment

Some pics... didn't happen unless pics are posted .... right?

Old starter

New starter in place

http://www.oemcycle.com/Item/product...007/noRediR=1/

I hope that starter will last well?

Grip that fell to bits

I broke the gasket when I took the starter gear cover off, Not sure if I will get another of just seal it, wanted to make sure the starter was all good before sealing so is back together.... but it is leaking .... probably just seal as no gasket locally and freight is way dearer than the gasket

Bike
    XT660R / TTR250 / 2 old Montesa's
    Quote Originally Posted by leathel View Post
    The camera is in built battery powered, charges when hooked to the computer and seams to last OK. I have used it on another bike and it used to handle a couple of hours OK, never run it flat.

Its a cheaper camera I got of DX.com when they discounted it.... nothing flash but from memory did 1080....Not sure what its set on and need to find the book to see how to change it, I remember different colour lights on top to the style and quality of recording but cant remember what each means
    the boy has a yellow one of those on his helmet... give a dam good image for a $60 cam
    we only get around a hour out of it !!!
    Pete

90% of all Harleys built are still on the road... The other 10% made it back home...
    Ducati... Makeing riders into mechaincs since 1964...

Bike
    VT1100C 1993 /DRZ400E
    WOF time again and the rear rubber was too low

The Commander II was OK but in the cold and wet roads its a bit sketchy until the rubber warms up so I tried a ME880 but that didn't last very long at all....... a little over half the distance the Commander II got but it is better on the wet roads when still cold..... But I would like it to last longer. After some research I decided to try the Pirelli Night Dragon..... Gets a good rep for traction in the wet but not sure it would last any onger than the 880 but I guess I will find out soon :P

the last two tyres I have had fitted, The Commander II is the std size for the bike the smaller is the ME880, I went lower profile to gear the bike down a little.... Interestingly the 880 flattened of more than the C II ?

Today I managed to put 300K's on the new rubber, Looks like its got good traction, I didn't set out to do that distance but I managed to keep skirting around the showers so I kept riding

Bike
    Kawasaki Vulcan
    Yeah those ME880 tyres aren't to flash when it comes to longevity. They flatten out through the centre too easily, especially for a cruiser tyre.

I've dumped them in favour of Bridgestone equivalent, better all round for our sled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
    VT1100C 1993 /DRZ400E
    Quote Originally Posted by ruaphu View Post
    Yeah those ME880 tyres aren't to flash when it comes to longevity. They flatten out through the centre too easily, especially for a cruiser tyre.

I've dumped them in favour of Bridgestone equivalent, better all round for our sled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ran the Bridestone Exedra's on the 750, they held in wet OK and wore OK but they followed the road imperfections so I stayed away from them on this bike, ME880,s and CM II have been great for not following Tar edges

Thread Information