Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone imported a bike into NZ?

Bike
    bucket of rusty old Italian bolts
    Thread revival :/

Short version of a long protracted story. I am currently based in Perth, Australia. 4 years ago I bought a motorcycle from England that upon arrival turned out to be an old bucket of knackered Italian bolts. I stripped the thing down to the bare frame. It is now packed up in boxes until I return home to NZ in 3 years time. I have the sales documentation proving I paid for the thing, and the frame and engine numbers are on the paperwork. It has never been registered for the road in Australia, and I don't have any paperwork for the last time it was registered for the road in England ( 2009 ). I am not sure which country it was originally sold in because I have tracked it back to being in Holland prior to England.

I want to bring this thing home and rebuild it. All previous info have been about complete running bikes. Is any of the info different for a bike dismantled and in boxes? Over the last 4 years I have slowly been picking up NOS items as I find them so I have a bit more than 1 bike, probably about 1 1/4 total bikes worth of parts, but 1/2 or the original parts are rooted.

I have another complete, running, and registered ( in Australia ) bike I will be bringing home at the same time, but that seems to not be a problem if I follow the advice already given.

Any advice appreciated.

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Quote Originally Posted by MGST View Post

Short version of a long protracted story. I am currently based in Perth, Australia. 4 years ago I bought a motorcycle from England that upon arrival turned out to be an old bucket of knackered Italian bolts. I stripped the thing down to the bare frame. It is now packed up in boxes until I return home to NZ in 3 years time. I have the sales documentation proving I paid for the thing, and the frame and engine numbers are on the paperwork. It has never been registered for the road in Australia, and I don't have any paperwork for the last time it was registered for the road in England ( 2009 ). I am not sure which country it was originally sold in because I have tracked it back to being in Holland prior to England.

I want to bring this thing home and rebuild it. All previous info have been about complete running bikes. Is any of the info different for a bike dismantled and in boxes? Over the last 4 years I have slowly been picking up NOS items as I find them so I have a bit more than 1 bike, probably about 1 1/4 total bikes worth of parts, but 1/2 or the original parts are rooted.

I have another complete, running, and registered ( in Australia ) bike I will be bringing home at the same time, but that seems to not be a problem if I follow the advice already given.

Any advice appreciated.
    I remember a guy doing that with racebikes out of Japan, before he hooked up with a car dealer to put them inside vans...
    Remember him saying something along similar lines that even disassembled if its all there its regarded as a bike not parts, so maybe forks and fromt wheel on one consignment, then engine and frame in another etc...

BTW did you buy from UK dealer? mate just brought a ducati in and the fuel pump is missing from tank!
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Wish I could contribute but I'm still waiting for a bike, ex UK, to hit the docks. Should have been here mid October but that was recently revised to today.
    The logistician is a wall of silence.
    I feel my problems are only just beginning.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    OK so if I bring all the boxes of bits in at the same time they regard it as a complete bike, that 's fine, but if I send it a couple of boxes at a time over 6 months say, then it's parts only? So then once I've rebuilt the thing, how would I get it registered? I'd have no paperwork to explain how it ( the completely rebuilt and running bike ) is in the country, all I'd have is the purchase paperwork from Australia when I was living there ( which had my Australian address on it ), and a couple of post office receipts for some boxes of parts I sent to NZ.

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    Wish I could contribute but I'm still waiting for a bike, ex UK, to hit the docks. Should have been here mid October but that was recently revised to today.
    The logistician is a wall of silence.
    I feel my problems are only just beginning.
    Assuming you've used some kind of freight forwarder.
    It will be in a shipping container with other peoples consignments. Once it actually lands at the port it will be taken to a bonded customs store at some random time based on how busy the port and the container trucks are.
    Once at the bonded store it may or may not have to be fumigated.
    It will be unloaded at random by the store staff. Luck of the draw may be inspected by customs officer.
    The freight forwarder or shipping agent will be advised the consignment is here once customs releases it for delivery.
    A trucking company will then pick it up and freight to you.

Any of the above stages can be held up by the slightest mistakes in paperwork or someone having a crappy day and not enough donuts.
    Despite how much you want the bike there will be genuine urgent freight items ahead of you in the que where the customer has paid for a premium service level etc.

It doesn't hurt to ring up the freight forwarder or shipping agent and enquire at various stages but be polite and have ALL the details ready of the consignment.

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    OK so if I bring all the boxes of bits in at the same time they regard it as a complete bike, that 's fine, but if I send it a couple of boxes at a time over 6 months say, then it's parts only? So then once I've rebuilt the thing, how would I get it registered? I'd have no paperwork to explain how it ( the completely rebuilt and running bike ) is in the country, all I'd have is the purchase paperwork from Australia when I was living there ( which had my Australian address on it ), and a couple of post office receipts for some boxes of parts I sent to NZ.
    oh yeah... as mentioned the other guy was bring in racebikes, not needing rego etc...

Bike
    Africa Twin DCT.
    A busted arse gas plant ?

Its still early for me but wonder how much drama bringing 8 bikes back would be.

Bike
    In a land far far away, where we wear white silk robes cos its' so hot

Bike
    Roadstar 1600 & Royal Star Venture

Any advice appreciated.
    I doubt if much has changed, when I moved over here (from UK) we brought both a car and bike with us,, (too new to sell and lose money) If you had owned the vehicle LESS than 9 months before YOU (owner) left the country, it was charged import duty (consisting of purchase price, shipping and insurance costs) as the bike fit that category (owned 10 months before I left grrrrr) It was assessed but payment was deferred as long as I kept it for a stipulated time (2 yrs I think).
    If the road to hell is paved with good intentions; and a man is judged by his deeds and his actions, why say it's the thought that counts? -GrayWolf

Bike
    Africa Twin DCT.
    Fair enough.
    Blacktip NT - Pluto - Macedon - Wheatstone, was supposed to go back up to Darwin but looking at Gorgon or can go back to Wheatstone.
    Plenty of hay to make for a few more years

Bikes are easy to get into Australia (pre 88 from the USA anyway) getting them back to New Zealand might be different, time will tell.

Bike
    Time for another thread revival.

I was talking to some shop in Auckland, and they said if I bring the bike into the country in bits, even if all the bits are in the same box, I won't be able to register it when I've put it back together. In order to register it, it must come into the country as a complete assembled bike. F*#k. They also said to try and get the old UK rego papers, but it'll still mean massive delays while they converse with England to confirm "stuff".

On the other hand, they said my other bike, which is registered in Australia, will be no problem to register here, straight in no worries ( because of the Australian registration ).

So I thought fuck it, I'll put the pile of crap back together and get it registered in Australia. I've nearly finished that, should be able to get it registered before the end of the year hopefully. Then bring it home, register it, then pull it all to bits again and do the original restoration. Cos I've got nothing better to do than disassemble and reassemble bikes for the hell of it.............

Hopefully the rules don't change again in the next 18 months...............

Bike
    Triumph Tiger
    Time for another thread revival.

I was talking to some shop in Auckland, and they said if I bring the bike into the country in bits, even if all the bits are in the same box, I won't be able to register it when I've put it back together. In order to register it, it must come into the country as a complete assembled bike. F*#k. They also said to try and get the old UK rego papers, but it'll still mean massive delays while they converse with England to confirm "stuff".

On the other hand, they said my other bike, which is registered in Australia, will be no problem to register here, straight in no worries ( because of the Australian registration ).

So I thought fuck it, I'll put the pile of crap back together and get it registered in Australia. I've nearly finished that, should be able to get it registered before the end of the year hopefully. Then bring it home, register it, then pull it all to bits again and do the original restoration. Cos I've got nothing better to do than disassemble and reassemble bikes for the hell of it.............

Hopefully the rules don't change again in the next 18 months...............
    Sounds like you have the solution, ironic given your signature line!

"If you can't laugh at yourself, you're just not paying attention!"
    "There is no limit to dumb."

"Resolve to live with all your might while you do live, and as you shall wish you had done ten thousand years hence."

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Macktheknife View Post
    Yeah it's not the way I wanted to do it, but looks to be the only way I will be able to get it registered.

Bike
    CB1300
    Quote Originally Posted by Macktheknife View Post
    Long time since I have seen that handle!

Sent via tapatalk.

Bike
    CB1300
    Yeah it's not the way I wanted to do it, but looks to be the only way I will be able to get it registered.
    My understanding is you can also declare it a home built bike and get it an lvv. Talk to the certifier not the shop.
    At least one patron did it that way when I worked at the bike shop.

Sent via tapatalk.

Thread Information