Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone imported a bike into NZ?

Bike
    2004, Husqvarna TE450

Anyone imported a bike into NZ?

I'm moving back home to chch after living in the UK for many years.

I've got 2 bikes here that I want to bring home with me. I've owned both the bikes for over a year and therefore I can bring them in duty and GST free.

1. 1997 Honda VFR750
    2. 2004 Husky TE450

I've read a few posts on here on the topic where guys have had all sorts of problems with the process. The bikes will be in containers with our other household stuff so the landing costs should be fairly transparent.

My main concern is getting them road registered and WOF'd. Both bikes are road legal in the UK.

I tried to road reg a XR400 once a few years back (holiday bike) and it was such a ball ache I gave up and ended up winging it with a 'borrowed' number plate.

Any advice will be greatly welcomed.

Cheers

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    People only have trouble because they attempt to do all their research after the fact.

http://www.customs.govt.nz/inprivate...fault.aspx?s=6

That's what you need to know. Ignore the multiple opinions you will be given and interface with NZ Customs politely and professionally and you will be pleasantly surprised at how helpful they are.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    Very Modded DR650
    I bought my 888 home with me quite some years ago now. I had all my paperwork in place and found the process relatively quick and easy.
    www.AdventureRidingNZ.co.nz NZ's dedicated Adventure Riding Community
    Forums, free GPS track downloads and much more. Now over 5700 members, are you one of them?

Bike
    Wots I gots.
    Quote Originally Posted by James Deuce View Post
    People only have trouble because they attempt to do all their research after the fact.

http://www.customs.govt.nz/inprivate...fault.aspx?s=6

That's what you need to know. Ignore the multiple opinions you will be given and interface with NZ Customs politely and professionally and you will be pleasantly surprised at how helpful they are.
    I paid a company (Toll Logistics) to move 2 bikes from Singapore to New Zealand door-to-door with all Customs and other issues sorted for me, and indeed they did. There was some back and forth as there usually is but basically, Toll handled this as my agent professionally and according to their predicted schedule.

Where things went very wrong - and it took over a year to sort out - was when I had another place do the VINing and on-road modifications required by the local VTNZ place to be able to register the bikes in New Zealand for road use. Both these bikes came from Singapore, where they drive on the same side of the road as NZ; both are Harleys; standard not modified; and the Singapore government being not known for its casualness with paperwork or on-road enforcement, the bikes were documented to just about the last bolt.

Based admittedly only on my own experience - if you have to deal with your local VTNZ because they have a monopoly, and your VTNZ local staff don't have a clue, it will be a long, drawnout, Kafkaesque, expensive, farcical, frustrating and completely unnecessarily complicated process.

Bike
    2016 Honda ST1300,86/87 XJ900F,
    Bikes from uk should be no problem.
    Make sure they get border checked by NZTA agent at the port or they will not get entered into the NZTA Landata computer system.
    You will need the ORIGINAL V5 UK registration document to prove standards ownership etc .
    As long as bkes are standard with no mods should be easy as

Bike
    Rocket 111 Touring (2010)
    Bring as much paperwork as possible to prove ownership and that it is road legal. Receipts, road tax disks, MOT certificate and insurance all help. Also see if you can get a dealer to write a letter stating everything is standard. I had all this and found it a piece of piss to get a Harley Ultra Classic Glide registered.

Remember that you cannot sell the bikes for 2 years after importing, otherwise you will have to pay back the gst and it is calculated on full new list price.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Yep - I have purchased three brand new bikes over the years - technically they were imported as NZ do not make them. Bawahahahahhahahahahhaahahahahaahhahahahhah

Bike
    KTM 990 Adventure '06
    Yep, bring the original purchase documentation. It was a few years ago now but I seem to recall they worked up the value of mine by conversion to NZ dollar then taxed/ charged me on the NZ value. So my 990 ended up way over new value in NZ (thieving bast..ds) at 4 years old. AND the value included GST paid in Aust!! Talk about double dip. (They add on the value of the tyres etc in the crate to!)

There was a bit of backwards n forwards with paperwork, inspections etc but it ended up fairly straight forward. Mine was broken down professionally crated in a custom made steel framed crate - shitloads of plastic wrap! Problem there was they wanted to check the frame number and inspect it - it was a bit tricky to locate the number in the crate. I had a local agent to process it - more costs but easier I think.

The problem I found was the waiting for the bike to arrive and not knowing exactly where it was. Maybe shipping it around Christmas time wasn't such a clever call.

I took it through a VTNZ to VIN/ Reg/ WoF it (more cost). I had to get a bike shop to certify brakes (more cost). So there was a bit of trailering around. Basically not too painful a process there though. Fairly quick / striaght forward.

Then came the enjoyment of riding it at home....

Bike
    2004, Husqvarna TE450
    Quote Originally Posted by Horney1 View Post
    Yep, bring the original purchase documentation. It was a few years ago now but I seem to recall they worked up the value of mine by conversion to NZ dollar then taxed/ charged me on the NZ value. So my 990 ended up way over new value in NZ (thieving bast..ds) at 4 years old. AND the value included GST paid in Aust!! Talk about double dip. (They add on the value of the tyres etc in the crate to!)

There was a bit of backwards n forwards with paperwork, inspections etc but it ended up fairly straight forward. Mine was broken down professionally crated in a custom made steel framed crate - shitloads of plastic wrap! Problem there was they wanted to check the frame number and inspect it - it was a bit tricky to locate the number in the crate. I had a local agent to process it - more costs but easier I think.

The problem I found was the waiting for the bike to arrive and not knowing exactly where it was. Maybe shipping it around Christmas time wasn't such a clever call.

I took it through a VTNZ to VIN/ Reg/ WoF it (more cost). I had to get a bike shop to certify brakes (more cost). So there was a bit of trailering around. Basically not too painful a process there though. Fairly quick / striaght forward.

Then came the enjoyment of riding it at home....

I bought both bikes 2nd hand of ebay and therefore don't have the original purchase documents, in fact I've got bugger all apart from the V5 (ownership papers).

Hope that doesn't cause me too much grief

Bike
    2004, Husqvarna TE450
    Thanks for all the advice. I'll let you know how it goes

Bike
    XJR
    Best of luck. Mine had numerous mods including a replacement engine. This meant the first digits of frame and engine number didn't match.

Had no customs or VTNZ problems.
    Advice here was easier to understand than the paperwork.

Bike
    KTM690R ,
    I brought a KTM 690 new still in the crate as long as frame / VIN numbers are on your commercial invoice no problems .
    Second hand bikes you may require a NZ break declaration done but bike shops do this for about $ 50.00 before they will VIN it here

Bike
    2002 KTM 640 Adventure

Staements of Complaince

Quote Originally Posted by Tug Boat View Post
    Second hand bikes you may require a NZ break declaration done but bike shops do this for about $ 50.00 before they will VIN it here

Second hand bikes also require a Statement of Compliance. This may sound easy BUT. I was looking at a Husqvarna Te510 in Christchurch. Awesome bike, was cheap, however it had never been imported through a NZ Importer. In fact the e-mail received said "No it isn't on our books it is one of those dirty imports" from Triumph NZ.
    Suffice to say, to get this certificate of compliance see below and read the small print!

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicle/impo...ompliance.html

Note: Statements of Compliance (SOC) will not be issued for motorcycles imported for sale. In the case of private imports by returning New Zealanders or immigrants to New Zealand SOC may be issued by some New Zealand distributors subject to documentation such as proof of ownership. It should be noted that SOC issue is dependent on a number of circumstances and that the most secure approach is to obtain an SOC from the authorised distributor in the country of export before shipping a motorcycle to New Zealand.

The important thing here is that last sentence. I was NOT going to get a SOC from Triumph for the Husqvarna which is obviously sold here, it isn't a pirated copy either...
    So, going back to Sweden to get this and make sure it IS indeed a Husqvarna? Doh!, it ain't rocket science....
    Brake declaration can be done from the owners manual, download a copy of it, take the bike to a local bike shop, get them to read the Dec, measure the pads, rotors etc and sign it. That is all I had to do with a Husaberg Fe450e....
    Mind you, diffferent strokes for different testing stations etc. ALL is subjective and open to interpretation EVEN when there is something written it plain black and white...

Bike
    2014 KTM 690 R

Importing KTM690 from Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Tug Boat View Post
    I brought a KTM 690 new still in the crate as long as frame / VIN numbers are on your commercial invoice no problems .
    I'm looking into bringing home my 690 from Canada.. I'd contacted Main Freight and the price was making it look worth while and quite straight forward.. After reading through the NZ transport site it looks like I might be needing a Statement of Compliance.. Is it an easy process, any help would be appreciated
    Cheers
    Tony

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    How pertinent. Me Dad is coming over in the spring with his UK CRM 250, which he bought 2nd hand so no proof of purchase but proof of ownership, registration, MOT etc. The bike will be staying here. So the brake declaration can be done here but he will need a Statement of compliance issued in the UK? From who?
    I don't think the CRM's were an official import here.
    Manopausal.

Thread Information