Page 67 of 337 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977117167 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,005 of 5043

Thread: The Bucket Foundry

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    24 Teeth to 63, also to help keep resonance at bay.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5357.JPG 
Views:	57 
Size:	699.1 KB 
ID:	312075  

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Went on the scrounge today, found a place where they sold welding rods in small quantities, got 12 s/s - that'll keep me going for a while.

Then as I passed the scrapyard (my car insisted on turning in there for some reason) and I got a cardboard box full of reject unused castings - they look to me to be diesel injector pump bodies for Bosch/CAV - probably rejects from setting up for production runs, some ones are labelled Lucas, with some other unidentified castings as well, two unused diesel pistons etc.etc. - one of my lucky days really! I tried a cut on one with my little power hacksaw and they seem to be good strong quality aluminium, and not a spot of oil on them!
    I should have some of them in the pot soon!

Some pics to show that I'm actually doing something, like beginning to try melting ali in the microwave ( got it up to 5 mins now) crucible stinking hot but no melt yet.
    Beginning to think I'll need a good fan to keep the works cool though, wiring can burn!
    Still using the original glass plate and rotator - everything is reasonably cool outside the insulation blanket which I secured properly with fibreglass tape and which stayed intact!
    Something else I bought today in the secondhand shop was a couple of little porcelain cups to contain the crucible packed around with charcoal granules (helluva stuff when you try to break up charcoal into granules - got to wear a good mask! Going to try some of my Raglan magnetite sand mixed with it next, also coke if I can find it - anybody know who sells that? (no smartass remarks please).

My ordinary furnace is ready with it's broken lid replaced with a big pot plant saucer with a hole gouged in the top!

Don't worry Neil,I won't up there challenging you for a while yet

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	129.7 KB 
ID:	312080Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	112.5 KB 
ID:	312081Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	139.4 KB 
ID:	312082Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	175.5 KB 
ID:	312077Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	146.3 KB 
ID:	312078Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	662.4 KB 
ID:	312079

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    Quote Originally Posted by ken seeber View Post
    Ages ago, Suzuki made a race kit for their A100,. These might have also been around in Kiwiland as well.
    They were. A mate and I bought a fully kitted A100 for $50. I wanted the wheels for my 50 and he got the engine. Suzuki NZ had 5 race kit cylinders. We bought them as well for $15ea, in about mid 80s.

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by WilDun View Post
    Went on the scrounge today, found a place where they sold welding rods in small quantities, got 12 s/s - that'll keep me going for a while.

Then as I passed the scrapyard (my car insisted on turning in there for some reason) and I got a cardboard box full of reject unused castings - they look to me to be diesel injector pump bodies for Bosch/CAV - probably rejects from setting up for production runs, some ones are labelled Lucas, with some other unidentified castings as well, two unused diesel pistons etc.etc. - one of my lucky days really! I tried a cut on one with my little power hacksaw and they seem to be good strong quality aluminium, and not a spot of oil on them!
    I should have some of them in the pot soon!

Don't worry Neil,I won't up there challenging you for a while yet

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	129.7 KB 
ID:	312080Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	112.5 KB 
ID:	312081Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	139.4 KB 
ID:	312082Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	175.5 KB 
ID:	312077Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	146.3 KB 
ID:	312078Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	662.4 KB 
ID:	312079
    This might interest you Wil a much better use of the Microwave.

Has some pretty Cool Rockets motors as well
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Yes, but I'm reliably told that a lot of people insist on using aluminium cans and which, although high quality aluminium, it is a totally unsuitable grade for casting - But I'll check it all out just the same!
    I intend to try all the different ways of casting and figure out which is best for me - all good fun of course and maybe in 20 or so years, I'll be right up there with Flettner! - hang on a minute - I'm 71 now ........91 yeah, well maybe!

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by WilDun View Post
    Yes, but I'm reliably told that a lot of people insist on using aluminium cans and which, although high quality aluminium, it is a totally unsuitable grade for casting - But I'll check it all out just the same!
    I intend to try all the different ways of casting and figure out which is best for me - all good fun of course and maybe in 20 or so years, I'll be right up there with Flettner! - hang on a minute - I'm 71 now ........91 yeah, well maybe!
    It was more for the other stuff, it was a bit of fun, I believe that the Cans are poos because they are not cast material.
    The Arc furnace looks esp fun.
    I will see if I can find the kitty litter rocket motors (well not totally kitty litter) but a great potential source of Bentonite clay.

2000FT 70c US
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    ... a great potential source of Bentonite clay.
    Great video. Also a great potential way of losing a hand or an eye, or both.
    I fooled around quite a bit with those ingredients when I was young and reckless. Now that I'm old and reckless, it may be the time to say a few words.
    In this 5 minutes video you will have lots of opportunities to hurt yourself for life. You may not even need two minutes.
    At 1:35 , screwing the lid on can have a surprising effect if a bit of the powder mix is caught in the thread.
    But don't be disappointed if nothing happens; at 1:40 shaking the stuff just might set it off.
    Still no joy? Then at 1:50 pouring it from one plastic container to another could be a fine opportunity for static electricity to throw in a spark.
    If all of the above was without success, then there's 3:20 : hammering it with a mallet. I wouldn't try that if they offered me a million.
    And finally, at 4:05 : drilling. Friction? What friction?...

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Frits Overmars View Post
    Great video. Also a great potential way of losing a hand or an eye, or both.
    I fooled around quite a bit with those ingredients when I was young and reckless. Now that I'm old and reckless, it may be the time to say a few words.
    In this 5 minutes video you will have lots of opportunities to hurt yourself for life. You may not even need two minutes.
    At 1:35 , screwing the lid on can have a surprising effect if a bit of the powder mix is caught in the thread.
    But don't be disappointed if nothing happens; at 1:40 shaking the stuff just might set it off.
    Still no joy? Then at 1:50 pouring it from one plastic container to another could be a fine opportunity for static electricity to throw in a spark.
    If all of the above was without success, then there's 3:20 : hammering it with a mallet. I wouldn't try that if they offered me a million.
    And finally, at 4:05 : drilling. Friction? What friction?...
    Physicist's take all the fun from Chemistry.

If you really want to see something lethal have a look at the Variable speed power supply Scary-a-vac.
    That made me very very scared.
    I was surprised at the lack of American litigation protection stuff.
    Then again I learnt to make Fulminate of Mercury from an old encyclopaedia when I was about 11.
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Husa,
    Sorry Husa,
    Yes it is fun to watch, I hadn't seen all the videos before I replied but I had seen the "can melting " one before
    Been having a look since and I'm amazed at what can actually be done! A far cry from the old lead medals we used to cast in metal jam jar lids when we were kids ....... or is it?
    I do actually have some long carbon rods somewhere in my lifetime collection, these are specifically for welders, so I may drag them out again (I can see a few blown fuses or tripped switches looming though!).
    I do know a few little guys who I wouldn't like to see trying any of this stuff though! - the guy in the videos, although good to watch doing this stuff, makes it look a bit too easy and I do agree with Frits on safety! - the SCARIAC, ....... amazing, lethal? I would like to try that but maybe I shouldn't, should it be on video????

The mini furnace etc. tends to make all my efforts look a bit over complicated but hopefully mine will last (as opposed to a one shot wonder), but I mustn't detract from the sheer ingenuity and simplicity of this guy's stuff!

Bike
    A Japper
    Physicist's take all the fun from Chemistry.

If you really want to see something lethal have a look at the Variable speed power supply Scary-a-vac.
    That made me very very scared.
    I was surprised at the lack of American litigation protection stuff.
    Then again I learnt to make Fulmate of Mercury from an old encyclopaedia when I was about 11.
    Lol, love it!

Bike
    none
    Physicists take all the fun from Chemistry.
    I was more concerned about the reverse situation...

That Scariac didn't scare me all that much. Maybe because I grew up with this system; it was used to control the merry-go-rounds at the fairs.
    But back then they didn't use that dangerous drain cleaner; they just filled the device with salt water. You know, the stuff that emits chloric gas when you send an electrical current through it.
    (Chloric gas nearly killed me when I made it at home as a kid. I was playing with sulfuric acid and bleech and I can now say: don't try this at home. Or anywhere).

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Slowly assembling the parts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5358.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	344.8 KB 
ID:	312110   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5359.JPG 
Views:	75 
Size:	748.8 KB 
ID:	312111   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5360.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	330.2 KB 
ID:	312112   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5361.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	374.7 KB 
ID:	312113  

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Flettner View Post
    Slowly assembling the parts.
    that's not slow when you have designed and made most of it from scratch Neil..............
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Can you add a gearbox to that? I've been wasting my time with my 496 CPI.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    Can you add a gearbox to that? I've been wasting my time with my 496 CPI.
    I have gear clusters in my pattern shop ready for a modified pattern. Will run a ballance shaft.

Thread Information