Page 69 of 337 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179119169 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,035 of 5043

Thread: The Bucket Foundry

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Can fairy-dust be non magic? I've watched a fair bit on the subject recently thanks to the kids Tinkerbell movies, invariably this dust seems to be of the magic variety or it doesn't cut it. It does however come in different colours.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    Can fairy-dust be non magic? I've watched a fair bit on the subject recently thanks to the kids Tinkerbell movies, invariably this dust seems to be of the magic variety or it doesn't cut it. It does however come in different colours.
    Yes, I've had it right up to here with Magic fairy dust, Sophia,Henry Hugglemonster, Jake and the Neverland Pirates etc.etc. can't ever get to see a bike race at a decent time anymore!

Flettner, does that ceramic fibre lining ever singe a little? The stuff I'm trying in the microwave smells a bit and actually seems to singe and apparently even melts where it's exposed to the heat of the crucible in the microwave.

Now got it up to stinking hot after about 20 mins (still no molten metal - too scared to do it for longer as yet in case of overheating).
    I now have it raised up a little with a heavy duty hairdryer running on cold pointing into the air inlets underneath it, that seems to be stopping any overheating of the magnetron.
    Now ready to try out other setups and suseptor materials, perhaps will get better results. ie. after I've done a pour with the main furnace.

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Quote Originally Posted by Frits Overmars View Post
    I knew you would have your reasons, Neil.
    Next question: what is "Dad and dave"? Oh well, let's save that for another occasion. Maybe when I visit NZ (if I can find a sponsor ).
    No problem, I'm sure Husa will put you up on the wild west coast, might be subject to the Valcan mind probe though
    And I'm sure I could do with a workshop "bitch" that I can order around. Might even teach you some stuff about twostrokes

Bike
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by Flettner View Post
    No problem, I'm sure Husa will put you up on the wild west coast, might be subject to the Valcan mind probe though
    Valcan mind probe?? I feel so ignorant...
    And I'm sure I could do with a workshop "bitch" that I can order around. Might even teach you some stuff about twostrokes
    That is more or less how I started what I'm doing now. Back in the day I was a technical editor in Holland and I spent my holidays driving to Italy and making a nuisance of myself in the Garelli racing department, trying to convince Jan Thiel of my wild ideas and picking up gems of his experience in return.

Bike
    Exercycle
    Valcan mind probe?? I feel so ignorant
    The West Coast version is simply to keep feeding you beer and questions....Happened to me many years ago at the hands of people I'm sure husa knows.
    Given the piss poor West Coast beer and the results the following day, I stay sober over there now.

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Valcan mind probe?? I feel so ignorant...
    Think Star Trek
    I think also it was a drink at the officers club at Ohakea ( NZ's air force base, Frits ). I would think, why would you drink somthing you could set fire to.

Bike
    none
    I think also it was a drink at the officers club at Ohakea ( NZ's air force base, Frits ). I would think, why would you drink something you could set fire to.
    That's not a problem then. I'll drink anything as long as it'll burn. So that excludes beer.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Think Star Trek
    I think also it was a drink at the officers club at Ohakea ( NZ's air force base, Frits ). I would think, why would you drink somthing you could set fire to.
    Good greif, those tuning sessions the night before the GPs at Ohakea on the govt subsidised drinks were memorable or sometimes not. Irresponsible but that was a long time ago.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    Good greif, those tuning sessions the night before the GPs at Ohakea on the govt subsidised drinks were memorable or sometimes not. Irresponsible but that was a long time ago.
    What was another one? "Suzi Chain Lub", loaded with Kahlua, those were the days

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    What was another one? "Suzi Chain Lub", loaded with Kahlua, those were the days
    The things we did, the stuff we drank, the things we said, makes you cringe!

Flettner do you think I should forget Greensand and do Silica Gel/CO2 instead? - looks like you're having good results with that. I've still got to develop a feel for this mould making, but doing better than I thought I would.

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by WilDun View Post
    The things we did, the stuff we drank, the things we said, makes you cringe!

Flettner do you think I should forget Greensand and do Silica Gel/CO2 instead? - looks like you're having good results with that. I've still got to develop a feel for this mould making, but doing better than I thought I would.
    Not silica gel. Sodium silicate. (water glass to the old timers)
    Although you can make it from Silica gel.

The chemist or potters supply will also have it.
    Its not that expensive to buy and less likely to get you in trouble with the misses than making it would.
    The rest Neil can answer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    I only use co2 setting sand, best results, can use much less taper on the pattern.

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    Not silica gel. Sodium silicate. (water glass to the old timers)
    Yeah Husa, just said "silica gel" because my feeble old mind wasn't remembering the proper name at that time of night!
    I actually have some on hand (from the pottery supplies) also have a full cylinder of CO2 but hadn't finally decided which type of moulding sand to use.

Neil,
    The greensand is giving me lot of experience and practice in moulding techniques - I can destroy each one and do it over again easily, so I'll carry on with that and then try CO2 next.
    It does look like I should take your lead and eventually go the CO2 way, (they don't fall apart so easily and there is always the possibility of transporting them to wherever I'm doing the pouring).

The tongs which took a while to perfect now work fine (we'll see anyway) - Just made from bits and pieces I had lying around plus a bit of trial and error!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Open.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	164.8 KB 
ID:	312534Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Closed.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	411.0 KB 
ID:	312535Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Liftout.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	130.1 KB 
ID:	312536Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pour.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	164.0 KB 
ID:	312537

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Autoflight Ltd trying to save the world from global warming, by shifting the planet out to a higher orbit

First of the two heat ranger engines on the test stand, electric throttle testing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5370.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	420.0 KB 
ID:	312681  

Bike
    husaberg
    Autoflight Ltd trying to save the world from global warming, by shifting the planet out to a higher orbit

First of the two heat ranger engines on the test stand, electric trottle testing.
    You should convince them to do a Ethanol version pretty sure they could refine a way of making that with what they have on hand.
    Oddly I pictured it with a much larger horizontal prop?
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Thread Information