Page 40 of 337 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090140 ... LastLast

Thread: The Bucket Foundry

Bike
    whatever I can get running - dirt/track/
    Do the air set/no bake and CO2 moulding sands allow use of less draft than green sand?

I drew up the Webco head and the long (2 1/4") upper fins have about 1.25-1.5 degrees of draft, while the short fins on the underside of the head are about 5 degrees. I'd thought that 5-7 degrees was pretty common, but I found a reference saying 1/8"/12" could be used, though it didn't specify which type of sand that was for.

I suspect the Webco heads were sand cast, though I've never seen mention of what process was used.

cheers,
    Michael

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    FLETTNER,
    I'm impressed with how those Co2 head castings came out, guess the draught/draft?? (or whatever ) wouldn't really have come into the equation in this case, (enough clearance being created by the wriggling action maybe ?) I wouldn't have believed that was possible, so now maybe I should review my options!
    BTW, when did you cast those?

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    No, you still need taper and the fins need to be smooth with no undercuts. I used CO2 sand for these heads, about two years ago.
    I'm sorry if I've been a little quiet on the pattern making front, I've been off most weekends riding, VMX and trail rides. This weekend is the Acerbis four hour ( Meagan and I as a team ) then no more motorbikes until next year. I think no more Kawasaki at all, it's just too hard on me, I can't walk for a week after riding it! This weekend gone I rode the Kawasaki, VMX, a sod of dirt flicked up and turned the ignition off, it stopped! My hip is so bad now I can't start it ( compression is high for the ethanol ). Thats when I decided I'm just too old for this shit, I give in.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Time to build another Bucket?
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Guess buckets are a lot of fun, but there comes a time, as in my case ( not suggesting that you guys are in my age group you understand) when you have to toss up between whether you want to be pushing yourself round in a wheelchair all pissed off and grumpy or getting on with your experimenting in the workshop while the brain is still fully operational!
    I know what it's like just falling over at my age, compared to falling off a bike at high speed in my twenties - much easier and safer doing that back then I must say!

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Anyway, seeing as there's a lull, here's where I am at the moment with my endeavour.......
    The furnace still needs a few things done and the weather needs to be better on the days when i am able to fit it in!

i have been playing around with machinable wax (no ill effects from my little fiery incident) and feel that I have hit the jackpot today with a very strong wax which machines beautifully,Recipe still secret as yet though - I'm damned if I can remember the exact recipie (a bit of this and a bit of that and she'll be right I guess) - it' still there in my head somewhere I know and no doubt will come back to me when I do another batch!

Possible problem is expansion in the mould (cracking) - it seems that at meltout, the wax can expand beforei it melts and runs out, also shrinkage of the wax will possibly be an issue, ie if casting the pattern in wax rather than machining it but as we know, there is always a way round every problem!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	foundry 8.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	102.9 KB 
ID:	304769Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wax 1.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	114.1 KB 
ID:	304770Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wax 2.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	105.2 KB 
ID:	304771Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wax 3.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	103.6 KB 
ID:	304772

The wax in the pictures, even though they machine perfectly look like they need another melt down and a good stir up.

AND don't ask me how I got those pictures on, i can't remember!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Foundry 1.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	85.3 KB 
ID:	304767   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Foundry 2.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	70.8 KB 
ID:	304768  

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by WilDun View Post
    Anyway, seeing as there's a lull, here's where I am at the moment with my endeavour.......
    The furnace still needs a few things done and the weather needs to be better on the days when i am able to fit it in!

i have been playing around with machinable wax (no ill effects from my little fiery incident) and feel that I have hit the jackpot today with a very strong wax which machines beautifully,Recipe still secret as yet though - I'm damned if I can remember the exact recipie (a bit of this and a bit of that and she'll be right I guess) - it' still there in my head somewhere I know and no doubt will come back to me when I do another batch!

Possible problem is expansion in the mould (cracking) - it seems that at meltout, the wax can expand beforei it melts and runs out, also shrinkage of the wax will possibly be an issue, ie if casting the pattern in wax rather than machining it but as we know, there is always away round every problem!

The wax in the pictures, even though they machine perfectly look like they need another melt down and a good stirr up.

AND don't ask me how I got those pictures on, i can't remember!
    Wil, when you are whipping up your next batch try having your plastic ground into small pieces.
    Only reason I say this is when they are recycling plastic to use, say for drums or polypipe they use fine ground material.
    You could try the Wifes food processor (when she is out of course)
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    Wil, when you are whipping up your next batch try having your plastic ground into small pieces.
    Only reason I say this is when they are recycling plastic to use, say for drums or polypipe they use fine ground material.
    You could try the Wifes food processor (when she is out of course)
    Yeah, tried the food processor - that useless thing won't even start to chop plastic -waste of time!
    Doesn't matter how fine it is really, it will all clump together on the bottom and stirring seems to be the only way, but it works ...... eventually.
    The wooden spoon can also be used for disciplining kids ... shhh! don't tell anyone!
    A new "secret" ingredient which I discovered at my grandson's school ( grandparent's day) actually seems to be a quantum leap in the right direction, doing tests at the moment!

Bike
    YLR150RR and a RD350LC
    Is the secret ingredient when your false teeth fell into the mix ?

Your furnace looks like a bought one, you should be well pleased with that.

PM me your address and Ill send you some "stuff"
    My neighbours diary says I have boundary issues

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by WilDun View Post
    A new "secret" ingredient which I discovered at my grandson's school ( grandparent's day) actually seems to be a quantum leap in the right direction, doing tests at the moment!
    Playdough ?

Bike
    husaberg
    sand from the pit?
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    sand from the pit?
    Nope, all wrong,
    I may disclose it one day but it'll have to remain secret till I'm certain the foundry supply people aren't going to hunt me down!

Thanks YL, as they say, the proof of the pudding is in the eating! - I'll send a PM.

Bike
    1944 RE 1

Water and Molten Metal.

This video is a must if you're a little nervous about melting metal (I'm not sure I believe it!).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kho0iVN0wg

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Try that with aluminium.

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Flettner View Post
    Try that with aluminium.
    To be honest, I wouldn't be game to try it with anything!

Thread Information