Page 145 of 337 FirstFirst ... 4595135143144145146147155195245 ... LastLast
Results 2,161 to 2,175 of 5043

Thread: The Bucket Foundry

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    The Ryger, not sure anyone knows whats happened, although it would seem someone opened their mouth too early on in development. It does have something special going on but also can't stay together for long. The Ryger team are away at a secret location at this moment, changing the laws of physics to suit themselves.
    It's a neat idea and has potential but needs a lot more work yet. I think some of the proposals we put up might be more workable but good on Ryger for getting us thinking!

Bike
    bsa. honda. aprilia
    Quote Originally Posted by Flettner View Post
    The Ryger, not sure anyone knows whats happened, although it would seem someone opened their mouth too early on in development. It does have something special going on but also can't stay together for long. The Ryger team are away at a secret location at this moment, changing the laws of physics to suit themselves.
    It's a neat idea and has potential but needs a lot more work yet. I think some of the proposals we put up might be more workable but good on Ryger for getting us thinking!
    maybe they need one of your linear crank set ups?

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Most well thought out things (within reason) will work eventually with hard work and enthusiasm ...... also with time and money of course, but it can't be rushed or talked about too much - or even be suggested as a breakthrough.
    Once the general public get a sniff of it, then the pressure will be on - I'd say give it a chance, however I feel that if it does reappear, it will be quite different in some areas!

BTW Neil, pleased to hear that the (ex) Bighorn has been reborn and that it is almost too much for you to handle - maybe you need an apprentice on that, as well as in your workshop?
    I reckon that's a good example of painstaking development, one step at a time over the years!
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Quote Originally Posted by WilDun View Post
    Most well thought out things (within reason) will work eventually with hard work and enthusiasm ...... also with time and money of course, but it can't be rushed or talked about too much - or even be suggested as a breakthrough.
    Once the general public get a sniff of it, then the pressure will be on - I'd say give it a chance, however I feel that if it does reappear, it will be quite different in some areas!

BTW Neil, pleased to hear that the (ex) Bighorn has been reborn and that it is almost too much for you to handle - maybe you need an apprentice on that, as well as in your workshop?
    I reckon that's a good example of painstaking development, one step at a time over the years!
    Will, good to see you back.
    Yes the Bighorn, painstaking or just pain! It is good to have the old bugger up and running again, so many things to look at when developing I totaly forgot to check the ignition, all sorted now. Although it has brought with it new problems, now I fell I need to get in and finish the reverse cylinder EFI 360.
    https://scontent-syd1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...25&oe=57A5A1E6

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Just starting to think about getting the furnace into action again - missed out on the great summer we had (been crook throughout the summer with hardly any inclination to work at all) and now no doubt I'll be restricted by the shitty weather about to happen!
    Hope to start off by making a proper lid for the furnace and read up and revise Flettner's methods again till I can do it all without fear of the unknown .
    Here's hoping anyway!

Where do all you enterprising foundry guys stand in your quest for greater two stroke performance these days? - found other forums?
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Will, my foundry has been packed away for the moment, I'm too busy at work.
    But I have managed to spend the last few Saturdays gyro flying (a tandem, ELA) had forgotten how much fun it is, it's been sooo long.
    So thought I was ready to fly the Autoflight 700 twin but on inspection it seems the nickasil has pealed. These development cylinders have been around a while and seen some action (holed pistons etc) and they are made of CC601, dosen't plate so well. It was only a prototype anyway so I've caned it. I have a spare Heat Ranger engine (a mark two if you will) that is quite servicable, I'll prepare that engine. All cylinders I've cast after these first two are LM13 and plate very well, we live and learn!
    These new engines have a cast lug above the exhaust port to accept a power valve blade, the exhaust timing is a little higher also at around 180 degrees. The Ignitech will run the power valves no problem, I'm leaving the exhaust eye ports (lower timing than the main port) free with no valves. Wobbly tells me this should work alright. Not that I need it but 100 ish HP might not be out of the question. It's been a long hard road to get these 700's a flyable engine.
    Anyway that's my story.

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Will, my foundry has been packed away for the moment, I'm too busy at work.
    It's been a long hard road to get these 700's a flyable engine.
    Sounds good - I'm intrigued by the fact that LM13 is good for plating - I'm told that it's a good alloy for casting too. Often I've had to machine the stuff and I found it difficult to do, but then it's probably easier to do now with the modern machinery etc.
    So do you get your plating done here in NZ? - is it done straight on the LM13?
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Sounds good - I'm intrigued by the fact that LM13 is good for plating - I'm told that it's a good alloy for casting too. Often I've had to machine the stuff and I found it difficult to do, but then it's probably easier to do now with the modern machinery etc.
    So do you get your plating done here in NZ? - is it done straight on the LM13?
    Yes the high silicon content in LM13 is hard on tooling but worth the effort as it's so much better to plate and less growth (distortion) with heat.
    I get my cylinders done at NZ Cylinders in NZ, good work, fast turn around and they know what they are talking about something you don't often get these days.

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Yes the high silicon content in LM13 is hard on tooling but worth the effort as it's so much better to plate and less growth (distortion) with heat.
    I get my cylinders done at NZ Cylinders in NZ, good work, fast turn around and they know what they are talking about something you don't often get these days.
    Don't suppose you'd be willing to disclose approximately how much it would cost to have say a couple of small cylinders done?
    Maybe I missed it, but what sort of lubrication do you use, pump or mixture .... or both? - it's always a bit of a worry if someone (especially a flyer) puts the wrong mixture in the tank I guess.
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    Exercycle
    Don't suppose you'd be willing to disclose approximately how much it would cost to have say a couple of small cylinders done?
    Maybe I missed it, but what sort of lubrication do you use (pump or mixture .... or both) - it's always a bit of a worry if someone puts the wrong mixture in the tank I guess.
    NZ Cylinders in Ashburton are very approachable and seem happy to give an estimate too. They're down the road from me - about 1 3/4 hours down the road - and i've been in there a couple of times. Used them to diamond hone a marked nicasil barrel recently.
    They asked me if I knew this guy Neil who kept sending them weird stuff.....

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    NZ Cylinders in Ashburton are very approachable and seem happy to give an estimate too. They're down the road from me - about 1 3/4 hours down the road - and i've been in there a couple of times. Used them to diamond hone a marked nicasil barrel recently.
    They asked me if I knew this guy Neil who kept sending them weird stuff.....
    Who? weird Neil? Perhaps, but at least I'm certified
    Cost of cylinders? Priceless to cast and machine (wouldn't have a clue) but nicasil? You would have to ring them (Grant), they are not too bad price wise.
    Grumph, who would you use in Christchurch to do castings for you, I want best quality and of coarse to pay nothing Production gearbox castings for our PSRU's (prop speed reduction units). I'm getting them done in Auckland at the moment, rough AND expensive But I have to say they are at least sound casting.

Bike
    Exercycle
    Cost of cylinders? Priceless to cast and machine (wouldn't have a clue) but nicasil? You would have to ring them (Grant), they are not too bad price wise.
    Grumph, who would you use in Christchurch to do castings for you, I want best quality and of coarse to pay nothing Production gearbox castings for our PSRU's (prop speed reduction units). I'm getting them done in Auckland at the moment, rough AND expensive But I have to say they are at least sound casting.
    ChCh foundries have just about died out. I hear good things about the one in Rangiora but haven't used them. The work I have seen and admired is the foundry in Nelson who do TT Industries work. They did quite a bit for Bob Densem and Colin Lyster too. I aimed Husa at them but i think they were too dear for him..They're casting gearbox shells and covers as well as - I hear - investment casting shift forks for the range of bike and car gearboxes.

Another thought - do you do anything for or with Pegasus engineering here ? They were doing prototyping for a small aero engine - basically half a VW.
    They were getting cases and reduction boxes cast somewhere here so may well be worth asking.

Bike
    none
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	insanity.gif 
Views:	38 
Size:	13.1 KB 
ID:	321860. . . . .

Bike
    honda ct now FXR SCORPA SY 250
    Quote Originally Posted by Frits Overmars View Post