Results 2,236 to 2,250 of 5043

Thread: The Bucket Foundry

Bike
    STRIKE trike & KTM300 EXC TPI
    You blokes are shaping up ok..

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Flettner View Post
    Found the wifes old camera, who remembers these beasts, fit for purpose. Saved it from heading off to the scrap yard 20 years ago. fitting the 250F clutch to the 250T gearbox. Clutch cover pattern is under construction, this weekends job to finish it. Water pump will be in the clutch side case run off the ballance shaft, these engine cases are water cooled.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Moore View Post
    Shapers are cool! I had a Rhodes 9" from the early 1920s but it was just too small for the things I'd want to do (like fitting a good-sized rotary table as in your photo). I've got a lot of shaper info on my website:

http://www.eurospares.com/shapers.htm

It is nice to see a shaper being put to work. Most people don't need a shaper, but when you've got a shaper job, you need a shaper.

Nurserys probably need to have shapers, the sound of a shaper peeling off chips should put a baby to sleep for an entire night, they are so soothing/mesmerizing.

cheers,
    Michael
    I had to google

Its motion kind of reminds me of something, not sure what

That's right a Gane milking plant..........
    and get ya minds out of the gutter
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    Even dirty minds can suffer from Oldtimer, eh, Alzheimer. Is this what you had in mind Husa? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0odVz...ature=youtu.be

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    Trade Cert question: How is the motion of a shaping machine generated?

Was supposed to be "With a bull wheel" But most wrote "Hydraulics" because they'd never seen a proper one.

I did my time on a massive Canadian Bertram planer, (tools stay still and the work moves back and fwd on a big table).

Had 4 electromagnetic clapper boxes, two on the bridge uprights and two on a traveling horizontal beam.

The table was driven by an AC driven DC generator connected to a large DC motor driving a pinion driving the table via rack.

You could take a 1/2" x 1/2" cut in SG iron on that thing.

Occasionally the controller would shit itself, much noise, smoke, right behind the driver. Then you got to run, because the table wasn't going to stop at the end of it's stroke...

Table ran on oiled ways, weighed maybe 5 ton. Used to have to get a crane in and cut a hole in the roof to get it back on again. The divots are still there in the floor 45 years later.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Moore View Post
    Shapers are cool!
    It is nice to see a shaper being put to work. Most people don't need a shaper, but when you've got a shaper job, you need a shaper............. the sound of a shaper peeling off chips should put a baby to sleep for an entire night, they are so soothing/mesmerizing.
    cheers,
    Michael
    Yeah, Michael, I agree with everything you have said about shapers, I never used them much after my apprenticeship classes but they fascinated me!
    Bought a small one which I was going to recondition a few years ago but it fell of a plank as I was trying to slide it into my basement workshop through a window - It wouldn't have been so bad if it hadn't used me as a cushion to break the fall! - Eventually I ended up selling it with all my other stuff when I moved house.

Flettner, nice to see your progress, with everything looking very professional and of course it's good to see you still use a shaper - they never really died out - nor should they!
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Quote Originally Posted by WilDun View Post
    Yeah, Michael, I agree with everything you have said about shapers, I never used them much after my apprenticeship classes but they fascinated me!
    Bought a small one which I was going to recondition a few years ago but it fell of a plank as I was trying to slide it into my basement workshop through a window - It wouldn't have been so bad if it hadn't used me as a cushion to break the fall! - Eventually I ended up selling it with all my other stuff when I moved house.

Flettner, nice to see your progress, with everything looking very professional and of course it's good to see you still use a shaper - they never really died out - nor should they!
    Yes the old shaper, handy even if you only use it once every few years I've set it up with a feed auto stop micro switch, for facing, but never used it They are the sort of machine that can get wildly out of hand if you are not carefull though

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Yes the old shaper, They are the sort of machine that can get wildly out of hand if you are not carefull though
    Sort of like the HCCI engines, easy to start, hard to stop :
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Sunday afternoon sitting in front of the fire, sanding. Clutch side case for the Donkey engine. Pen line around the clutch bump is the real height, I will trim that back at the end. This pattern is mostly just pine, all sides are three degrees although it dosen't look like it in the picture. These things always take longer than you think!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5525.JPG 
Views:	77 
Size:	407.0 KB 
ID:	322553   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5526.JPG 
Views:	81 
Size:	422.6 KB 
ID:	322552  

Bike
    STRIKE trike & KTM300 EXC TPI
    Fletto, the roll pins. Did you pitch out the centres on some other plate/board and use this to centre each of the wooden bosses? And also, what shrinkage did you allow for?

Sitting in front of a fire. Not that cold is it? I guess it's a good place to chuck all the offcuts (and cock ups) in.

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Being that this is not a CNC (or even computer drawn, or for that matter even drawn) part everything has to be done the cunning way. I do have the hole coordinance written on a piece of paper somewhere. But in this case I used sharpened up grub screws just protruding from the engine case to locate the hole centres. Put a piece of ammour board over it and give it a hit, all the centers are now transfered to the board. Drill the board and attach the wooden (threaded) lugs on the opposite side of the board and thats the begining of the pattern. Lugs are drilled off center and turned so the larger part is away from the center of the pattern, this is to allow for shrinkage. Once the pattern had been built enough to have some of the lugs attached I used the 3/16" (just on 5mm outside size) to locate the pattern back onto the engine block for final fitting, that would be running all the sealing edges around. About 1.5% / 2% bigger for shrinkage.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5530.JPG 
Views:	49 
Size:	491.6 KB 
ID:	322565   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5529.JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	493.1 KB 
ID:	322566   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5528.JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	626.1 KB 
ID:	322567   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5527.JPG 
Views:	58 
Size:	536.6 KB 
ID:	322568  

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Being that this is not a CNC (or even computer drawn, or for that matter even drawn) part everything has to be done the cunning way.
    That's all good logical thinking and not a hi tech machine in sight! - makes some of us amateurs feel that we can still achieve the goals, instead of giving up!

Ken, it is that bloody cold here but hopefully it'll just be temporary and last only for a couple of months or so!
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Quote Originally Posted by ken seeber View Post
    Fletto, the roll pins. Did you pitch out the centres on some other plate/board and use this to centre each of the wooden bosses? And also, what shrinkage did you allow for?

Sitting in front of a fire. Not that cold is it? I guess it's a good place to chuck all the offcuts (and cock ups) in.
    The irony, using Pine for the patterns and burning all the Oak in the fire

Bike
    a shed full of crazy shit
    Being that this is not a CNC (or even computer drawn, or for that matter even drawn) part everything has to be done the cunning way. I do have the hole coordinance written on a piece of paper somewhere. But in this case I used sharpened up grub screws just protruding from the engine case to locate the hole centres. Put a piece of ammour board over it and give it a hit, all the centers are now transfered to the board. Drill the board and attach the wooden (threaded) lugs on the opposite side of the board and thats the begining of the pattern. Lugs are drilled off center and turned so the larger part is away from the center of the pattern, this is to allow for shrinkage. Once the pattern had been built enough to have some of the lugs attached I used the 3/16" (just on 5mm outside size) to locate the pattern back onto the engine block for final fitting, that would be running all the sealing edges around. About 1.5% / 2% bigger for shrinkage.
    Bloody cunning. Recently I was ponder how one would undertake this exercise. Even tried to doctor goggle to see if there was a simple solution (no nothing really). And once again you come up trumps.
    Look forward to this story evolving.

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Another trail ride under the F9's belt or should that be another notch. 42 K loop and I would say at about 21 K's the nut holding the drive sprocket fell off. Long down hill, at the bottom no gears, bugger. Found a suitable tree and sat for a while, what to do? I thought I wonder what the chances are of finding that nut? Five minutes later back up the track ( a few bikes had been through too) there it was just sitting there waiting, couldn't believe it! The locking system is crap, I'll have to devise a never come undone lock ( accept for when I want it to) , the original locking tab was all but shot and now gone. I would imagine Kawasaki don't stock them any more.
    So finger tight and had to stop about every half K to re tighten, got me home, so doesn't count as a DNF.

Bike
    Exercycle
    I'd bet the lockwashers are available. Something will have that spline. Z1 lockwashers for the same job are still available - common to a lot of Suzuki's too.

Thread Information