Page 27 of 337 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777127 ... LastLast

Thread: The Bucket Foundry

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Flettner View Post
    Yes the uniflow style engine ( of which this is one ) has a much cleaner cylinder fill even at low speeds, it makes the engine tune much like a fourstroke. You can have them quite lean or rich and they will run clean, ie no fourstroking.
    The amazing thing about Ricardos sleeve design is that it requires no top ring. Apparently the sleeve expands untill it transfers heat to the cylinder surface, self regulating. The top of the sleeve ( 2mm thick ) will get pushed down with combustion pressure, it's the top of the sleeve that uncovers the exhaust ports.
    That theory is amazing - guess it's more than just a theory, especially the bit about the area at the top of the sleeve (which I hadn't considered).
    When I asked about the sealing, I thought that maybe it was a bit of a long shot and might make me look ridiculous, but there you go, someone already had it all sussed!

BTW, re: the drum. please send a PM.
    Thanks, Will.

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    WilDun, by the time you read this, your drum will be at ESE HQ. To be collected at your convenience.

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    WilDun, by the time you read this, your drum will be at ESE HQ. To be collected at your convenience.
    Just checking the thread before shutting down - that's great! I'll get in touch with them asap - as I understand, they are only a few kilometres away. Might not be able to do it for a couple of days though.
    Many thanks.
    Will.

Bike
    YLR150RR and a RD350LC
    Interesting casting technique and media, you can do foundry work in the kitchen

My neighbours diary says I have boundary issues

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Yow Ling View Post
    Interesting casting technique and media, you can do foundry work in the kitchen

Sure worth a try, but I think his technique needs just a little refinement here and there. Wonder how the welder would stand up to it?

Also it seems that you can melt aluminium in an ordinary microwave (microwave being protected by surrounding the crucible with appropriate material of course). - best to buy a microwave specially for the job and use it in the workshop, don't use the one in the kitchen!!

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Collected the drum, it is just the one I was looking for - also had a look at Rob's dyno etc. (first time I ever saw a dyno would you believe!).
    Thanks very much to both you guys, very much appreciated.

Bike
    Suzuki GP125 Bucket
    Quote Originally Posted by WilDun View Post
    ... had a look at Rob's dyno etc. (first time I ever saw a dyno would you believe!).
    The dyno belongs toTeam ESE's Chambers and NedKelly, Rob (TeeZee) is probably the one who has used it the most though.

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by bucketracer View Post
    The dyno belongs toTeam ESE's Chambers and NedKelly, Rob (TeeZee) is probably the one who has used it the most though.
    Yes I met Chambers and Rob, still haven't met Ned Kelly.

Nice to meet people who share the same interests as myself. I would like to be more involved in the scene but i can't ride anymore and I can't really contribute much as I don't know the finer details of what makes today's machines tick, (ie,unless the foundry I'm slowly trying to set up works better than anticipated).

No doubt I'll learn by making a lot of mistakes!, but all good fun especially when i'm being helped by all you guys.

I'll probably meet a few more of you when I finally decide to go along to some race meetings.

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    I've got most of the stuff needed to get the foundry in operation now, but progress has stalled a little, however, if I can find some time, a couple of days work should see it in action and properly fired, (weather permitting - rain showers and furnaces are not a good combination and you can't put a roof over it!).

Managed to score an old Soda Stream to provide CO2 for hardening cores (sand and sodium silicate), each refill should last a long time and it only costs $12 for an exchange cylinder at Countdown!

Learning to use the moulding flask and also preparing and mixing the moulding sand will probably need a bit of practice! ( Will be using Bentonite clay and Silica sand mix which I'm hoping should be a lot less smokey than oilsand ). This should keep me on better terms with my neighbours!

Flettner's drum will be used to make my Mk 2 furnace - that's a little way off yet of course.
    I'm calling this one "The Pig's Arse" but I reckon it'll still do the job ok.

Probably post a couple of pictures soon.

I still have to re-acquaint myself with pattern making, everything is on course but progress is slow, I do think I need to rearrange my "workshop" so I can actually move about in it!

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    I've got this stack of jobs to do for people, can hardly get in the workshop door having to step over them! It's time to clear this door obstruction, TZ I'll have your head machined next week plus the acid is on to get the RG cylinder finished so I'll post some pictures of the pattern building, not much has happened since the last pattern photos I posted.
    Sleeve crank case and 360 rotary valve, injected engine will have to just wait for now.

Bike
    RG50 and 76 Suzuki GP125 Buckets
    Thanks, I am looking forward to getting back to the air cooled RGV125 project.

Bike
    Castings

Thumbs up casting

metal casting stuff

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    After looking at the above stuff, I am wondering if it means that the thread is petering out and has hit rock bottom?

Bike
    I just lost count
    Quote Originally Posted by WilDun View Post
    After looking at the above stuff, I am wondering if it means that the thread is petering out and has hit rock bottom?
    Man you need to visit some other threads round here. This one has a long way to go before we get near rock bottom. It is even realitivly still on topic

For the record Qkkid was in my bed, not the other way round

Quote Originally Posted by Yow Ling View Post
    Pumba is a wise man.

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pumba View Post
    Man you need to visit some other threads round here. It is even realitivly still on topic
    Yeah, guess you're right, sorta on topic,
    Haven't looked much beyond the Bucket threads as yet - enough for me here for the moment!

Thread Information