Page 86 of 337 FirstFirst ... 3676848586878896136186 ... LastLast
Results 1,276 to 1,290 of 5043

Thread: The Bucket Foundry

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Meanwhile they were told Stalin was a top bloke and onions were an acceptable diet.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    Meanwhile they were told Stalin was a top bloke and onions were an acceptable diet.
    Well he was a top bloke, he scored more points than Hitler in the people killing stakes, and what the hell is wrong with onions?

Bike
    '76 RD-400C
    The smoking blue coils were just for fun, the first time I found out how big a cut I could take. Chip-breakers after that. But I still use HSS a lot, out of long habit I guess, and knowing how I want them ground.

MikeT1, is there another forum where you have photos of your Pietenpol? (For others, who were intrigued by the idea of an airplane powered by a Ford Model A engine, the same designer offered an even simpler, cheaper, single-seat version (this was during the Depression) to be powered by a Model T engine!!!).

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by seattle smitty View Post
    But I still use HSS a lot, out of long habit I guess, and knowing how I want them ground.
    cheaper, single-seat version (this was during the Depression) to be powered by a Model T engine!!!).
    HSS is definitely much more versatile and much cheaper for the home workshop.

Hadn't heard of the Pietenpol with a Model T engine!

Another 'story' (which I think I mentioned before somewhere - getting old and starting to repeat myself!).
    When Pietenpol built his plane with a Model A up front, the experts of the day had said it couldn't be done. Asked by reporters afterwards what he thought of that, he replied that if only he had known it was impossible, he would never have attempted it.

Bike
    home made steam bike
    Hi Smitty, I haven't really posted much in the way of what I'am doing with the Pietenpol, would prefer to get it closer to being a functioning reality, it has taken much longer than I anticipated, age is slowing me down a little, grandchildren living with us take a lot of my time. The wing requires assembly, the rest of the aircraft is near complete, needs wiring and power plant installation, I will test fly the airframe with a subaru engine, which is what I used in a previous aircraft. The boiler and water tanks are completed, the engine is in the late design stage, need to finish working drawings, then make patterns for casting the major components.
    The single seat 30 hp Model T powered sky scout was never as popular as the two seat 40 hp Model A powered aircamper, later the aircamper was fitted with the 100 hp Chev corvair flat six and performed even better.

Bike
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by WilDun View Post
    When Pietenpol built his plane with a Model A up front, the experts of the day had said it couldn't be done. Asked by reporters afterwards what he thought of that, he replied that if only he had known it was impossible, he would never have attempted it.
    It's the story of the bumblebee all over again.
    It has been scientifically proven that a bumblebee can't fly (body mass versus wing area and all that), but nobody told the bumblebee .
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	omdenken 03.gif 
Views:	22 
Size:	9.3 KB 
ID:	313558

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Mike,
    No doubt we'll see the Pietenpol flying around Papakura or Pukekohe - we'll probably hear the Subaru coming but not sure what sort of noise the steamer will make, maybe we'll hear the prop or the wind whistling around the struts! - I do understand about looking after the grandchildren.
    Can't be a lot of Corvair engines left, they are all in aircraft!
    Frits,
    You do wonder how a bumblebee does fly, but it does and that's the only explanation I need!
    It's great to see the doubters being silenced sometimes, even those who say that there can't be free energy.
    Some things may take more than a lifetime to work out but so what, a lot of fun was had trying! (a lifetime of being cynical can't bring a lot of joy!).

Bike
    '76 RD-400C
    Surely some of the Pietenpol builders who use a Model A engine have one of the later variants (Model B and C, IIRC) with full pressure oiling, and there are lots of aluminum heads for that engine, plus you could save more weight by building your own manifolds from tubing. Upgraded in this way, that plane might climb out with some energy, especially if pilot and payload stay Depression-era-skinny.

But a Pietenpol steamer!! That will really boil along!! Very cool, I mean hot, project

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by seattle smitty View Post
    Surely some of the Pietenpol builders who use a Model A engine have one of the later variants (Model B and C, IIRC) with full pressure oiling, and there are lots of aluminum heads for that engine, plus you could save more weight by building your own manifolds from tubing. Upgraded in this way, that plane might climb out with some energy, especially if pilot and payload stay Depression-era-skinny.

But a Pietenpol steamer!! That will really boil along!! Very cool, I mean hot, project
    There are several aftermarket full pressure oiling conversions available for the Model A. Most of the owners of restored A's i've met at Vintage car gatherings have done it just to keep up with modern traffic.

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    I'm a little worried about the drive sahft size

Shortened Bedford Truck shaft.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5381.JPG 
Views:	78 
Size:	535.2 KB 
ID:	313572   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5382.JPG 
Views:	70 
Size:	355.7 KB 
ID:	313573  

Bike
    Exercycle
    By comparison, the engine mounts look a tad flimsy...

Reminds me of a speedway car a family friend had. Kept breaking driveshafts or joints till they asked the old man to have a look...
    His first question was "who told you to put the joint yokes at 90 degrees to each other ?"

Bike
    STRIKE trike & KTM300 EXC TPI

Exclamation

Neil,
    I'm not gunna say the shaft will shit itself (cos it's way strong), but I reckon that a big juicy flywheel on the engine would be a good thing for the benefit of the engine, the splined shaft, U/Js and the dyno. A single would be much worse, but even a twin can strain things.
    From what I saw, the best couplings were 6 hole rubber discs, 3 equispaced holes for an input flange and the other 3 equispaced holes for the output flange, the shafts being centred with s spigotted spherical bearing. Mercedes use these, 100 years ago. I think, these were a standard fitment with the Schenck eddy current dynos we used.
    "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.”

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Flettner View Post
    I'm a little worried about the drive sahft size

Shortened Bedford Truck shaft.
    Neil as always your output is amazing (see what I did there)
    Being from where you are though I thought you would have gone more agricultural theme.
    I am not going to tell my father you have Bedford bits either.

Name:	DNE-1356104.gif 
Views:	16 
Size:	213.0 KB 
ID:	313578
    slip clutch used on slashers

Name:	$T2eC16R,!yME9s5qHBV2BRv)vVBcqQ~~60_35.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	5.7 KB 
ID:	313576
    One way clutch used on Non live drive such as Fergies

Name:	COM059_pto_drive.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	12.5 KB 
ID:	313577
    Pto shaft
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by ken seeber View Post
    From what I saw, the best couplings were 6 hole rubber discs, 3 equispaced holes for an input flange and the other 3 equispaced holes for the output flange, the shafts being centred with a spigotted spherical bearing.
    Amen to that.

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Taken care of.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5357.JPG 
Views:	65 
Size:	699.1 KB 
ID:	313579  

Thread Information