Page 63 of 337 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573113163 ... LastLast

Thread: The Bucket Foundry

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by Flettner View Post
    yes, I met him once years ago. He had a sidecar made from sheet alloy and a Suzuki twin engine I think?
    He built many chairs - but that is the one which did his leg...He was incredulous at the price the DHB was paying for Ti screws, immediately pointed them at a cheaper supplier.

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    He built many chairs - but that is the one which did his leg...He was incredulous at the price the DHB was paying for Ti screws, immediately pointed them at a cheaper supplier.
    Yes, as soon as they see that it's for aviation or health ( with the government footing the bill), the price immediately soars about fourfold, but will the 'powers that be' listen to a lowly engineer, no way!

Flettner, need to listen to what the physio etc.says (ie. what not to do) because even though they are often wrong, Murphy's law states that it will happen, Murphy and I often clashed - Murphy always won!
    My wife is a well experienced medical person and she does get slightly exasperated with me sometimes (read really pissed off)
    I have a broken back shored up with steel rods screwed into the spine (permanently) and I broke it a second time falling off some steps trying to drag a table up to my decK, result, longer steel rods, another long stay in hospital and a severe talking to.
    Also my chances of ever riding a bike again gone!
    Luckily my spine didn't snap, it just cracked and stayed in line in each case. but they said that was pure luck.
    So I'm not the big brave boy I used to be anymore and I won't go into all the other mishaps I've had through being too bloody stubborn.
    I have learn't from my mistakes but it took a little too long for that to filter through to be of much use!

Husa, and you other guys,thanks for the directions for the charcoal, will go and have a look tomorrow.

I've now got my special patented tongs, made off the top of my head as I went - who says you can't make a pig's ass out of a sow's ear!!

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Found some charcoal in the pet shop, costs an arm and a leg there and it's being discontinued
    It was $10 for a little bag not much bigger than your hand! - got to be a better price somewhere, must try to find an alternative supplier or maybe I should try good quality barbeque charcoal and see what happens.

In the meantime, I've got to forget it for now and head off to ANZAC parade.

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by WilDun View Post
    Found some charcoal in the pet shop, costs an arm and a leg there and it's being discontinued
    It was $10 for a little bag not much bigger than your hand! - got to be a better price somewhere, must try to find an alternative supplier or maybe I should try good quality barbeque charcoal and see what happens.

In the meantime, I've got to forget it for now and head off to ANZAC parade.
    http://www.commoditiesnz.co.nz/index.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    Thanks Husa, had found that one, only about 25 mins away from me at Manukau, so I'll be off there on Monday - main Warehouse based in Foxton I believe.
    I think I might try silicon carbide as well also magnetite sand, - my son is staying at Raglan this weekend and there's an endless supply of that (black magnetite sand) in Raglan so that shouldn't cost me!

Neil, is that hip working properly yet? we need you here !on the thread!

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Thanks Husa, had found that one, only about 25 mins away from me at Manukau, so I'll be off there on Monday - main Warehouse based in Foxton I believe.
    I think I might try silicon carbide as well also magnetite sand, - my son is staying at Raglan this weekend and there's an endless supply of that (black magnetite sand) in Raglan so that shouldn't cost me!

Neil, is that hip working properly yet? we need you here !on the thread!
    No, third dislocation, buggar this! Seems back to Hospital on Tuesday for another "hack".
    Got rid of the YZ yesterday, TT will probably go this week, think I might be over bikes, I've lost all confidance.
    I'm alright just got a bit of a shock, not what I expected.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    That's a real bugger Neil. Just decided to park the race bikes for a while at least after my last stay in hospital. Back on Tuesday for a plate.

Perhaps put the money into a Trials bike for pottering around the section on. Lots of fun to dabble.

Hope they sort that hip out.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    That's a real bugger Neil. Just decided to park the race bikes for a while at least after my last stay in hospital. Back on Tuesday for a plate.

Perhaps put the money into a Trials bike for pottering around the section on. Lots of fun to dabble.

Hope they sort that hip out.
    That's the problem, bikes are such drug, not too easy to give up just like that.

Bike
    YLR150RR and a RD350LC
    That's the problem, bikes are such drug, not too easy to give up just like that.
    Will you be able to continue flying ? Will this just heal up, how long has it been like 1 week?
    We did a sprint race this morning and an endurance race this arvo, would be hard giving this up, but for one reason or another we all have to pack it in sometime, I only wish I had started racing 20 years earlier.

I was dreading the Le Mans start today , usually by the time I get away im already rooted, got a reasonable start today thanks to an awesome helper.
    My neighbours diary says I have boundary issues

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    No, third dislocation, buggar this! Seems back to Hospital on Tuesday for another "hack".
    not what I expected.
    Yes, you sure have had an unexpected turn of events there! Probably they can remove it and relocate it more easily now than further down the track. Seems that the bone grows on to the prosthetic part eventually so none of that would have happened yet.
    My ones are the old polyethelene/stainless type, glued in and more or less usable straight away, but which wear out in 10 - 15 years. The surgeon reckoned that I didn't need the flash new type because I wasn't likely to to be too energetic at my age!.

It would no doubt get a bit tedious having to go in time after time to get it fixed, hospitals are not the most exciting places to be! -
    Hope it gets sorted soon, we're just marking time here, waiting for some more Flettner photos.

Just getting a couple of small moulding boxes finished today and fine tuning the tongs, now got to mix up some sand and try to pour a couple of ingots, but it's likely to piss down tomorrow so another delay! Still don't know if my burner will get it hot enough.
    Microwave still on the horizon.

Bike
    husaberg
    Have a look here I am only up to page four. Well worth a look
    http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...-casting-parts
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Have a look here I am only up to page four. Well worth a look
    http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...-casting-parts
    Although it took just a little over 3 years to do, it was really a massive undertaking,(ie for someone who at the beginning said that he didn't have a clue). I do think he probably already had a bit of experience with patternmaking etc though.
    It would probably take 3 years for me to read it and check it out properly!

I guess it's all got more to do with just getting on and doing it - changing things and fine tuning all coming later, total perfection is the best way to stop you taking it right through to the finish - an impossible dream!

Flettner would not be all that happy with the steel crucible and I'm not sure if a venturi (on the burner) is actually necessary, but it all seemed to work. (wonder how Neil got on with the hip?)

Bike
    husaberg
    Although it took just a little over 3 years to do, it was really a massive undertaking,(ie for someone who at the beginning said that he didn't have a clue). I do think he probably already had a bit of experience with patternmaking etc though.
    It would probably take 3 years for me to read it and check it out properly!

I guess it's all got more to do with just getting on and doing it - changing things and fine tuning all coming later, total perfection is the best way to stop you taking it right through to the finish - an impossible dream!

Flettner would not be all that happy with the steel crucible and I'm not sure if a venturi (on the burner) is actually necessary, but it all seemed to work. (wonder how Neil got on with the hip?)
    The crucible I think is Stainless steel though in his defence.
    I haven't got to the end of the tread but the stuff with the lost foam is pretty interesting.
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    The crucible I think is Stainless steel though in his defence.
    Yes I see now that he also said that he would be using a graphite crucible for the "stressed" parts which would require a lot of strength!

Bike
    STRIKE trike & KTM300 EXC TPI
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Finished manifold.JPG 
Views:	76 
Size:	636.5 KB 
ID:	311363

Finally finished the manifold using 4 castings made from a 3D printed model moulded in a 2 part rubbery, allowing waxies to be poured to which small riser and pouring cup to be added which were then set in three plaster/sand moulds and one in ceramic investment. These were melted out and burnt out and when still hot, poured.

As to the stainless crucible, he is right in that this is not the way to go for high stressed parts are required. This issue is iron transfer from the stainless into the aluminium by the steel dissolving into the melt. This alters the properties of the alloy, leading to brittleness etc. Mind you, it certainly is more efficient in terms of a short melt time. I believe mild steel is ok for magnesium and maybe the stainless though. Years ago, we once used a bare stainless scraper to remove the dross and stuff in the bottom of the crucible at the end of a pouring session, half of it was gone, into the alloy. We now use mild steel, but heavily coated in a dye coat spray.

Neil, hope you are on the mend and quietly learning your 3D design package and drumming up some new designs to keep us all going.
    "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.”

Thread Information