Page 48 of 337 FirstFirst ... 3846474849505898148 ... LastLast

Thread: The Bucket Foundry

Bike
    husaberg
    Left: The Norton Rotary cylinder head fitted to a Manx Norton motorcycle engine.
    The cylindrical valve at the top is driven by bevel gears from a vertical shaft, which is driven from another vertical shaft via two small pinions. The second vertical shaft is driven by bevel gears from the crankshaft. The mystery of why two vertical shafts were used has been solved by Jean-Fran�ois Depau, who points out that in his book "Built For Speed", John Griffith writes: "As the head is wider than that of a "Manx" unit, the vertical shaft of the bevel drive had to be stepped out to reach the end of the rotor. A virtue was made of this necessity by installing a gear-type oil pump at the "step", so that the drive went in on one shaft of the pump and out on the other."

This book was published by Temple Press, second impression in 1965. John Griffith was a journalist in the 1950's, writing for Motor Cycling magazine. His specialty was road testing the motorcycles of the day, but he had a special interest in historic racing motorcycles.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nortrotheada.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	16.9 KB 
ID:	306318Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nortrotdwga.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	70.0 KB 
ID:	306319

this page has a few
    http://way2speed.blogspot.com/2012/0...n-engines.html
    http://hooniverse.com/2011/03/02/enc...valve-systems/
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    FLETTNER
    I sent a PM.

Having now fired up my furnace (it took 24 hours to cool down enough to touch) so this suggests that the insulation is A1 !

Except for two insignificant cracks, it all came out very well. Trying to sort out my bandsaw at the moment, but I should have my tongs finished today and need to finish off the lid which just needs a sheetmetal covering over the wool insulation, then I'll maybe try a melt. - then, I need somewhere to pour the stuff of course, better get on to that - too many things to consider! - then, there's safety measures ...... hell!

I need to spend less time on the computer and more time on the foundry stuff, now that it's all starting to look promising!

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    WilDun, you got that furnace going? I might need to get some stuff cast. Mine is still just plans, didn't order anything yet. Too many patterns to finish first.

Just been machining out the bottom cases ( patterns ) for the sleeve engine but a catastrophy, machined the wrong part out ( clearly I can't measure ). Thats why I don't machine out of solid alloy because with just a bit of glue and wood we are back to new again.
    If I was better at drawing solid models this wouldn't be a problem, I tend to intergrate lots of smaller cut paths and sometimes they don't match up. Trying to shortcut the process to speed things up, two steps forward, one back.

Bike
    Exercycle
    I don't think you do too badly....Pattern making is imagining a shape in 3D - inside out. The occasional error when trying to programme a machining path is only to be expected.

Has anyone else seen the ad on TV for "kinetic sand" a Xmas "must have" for kids ? I immediately wondered what the binding agent is and what temperature it would take....Must have a look next time I'm at the Warehouse.

Bike
    a shed full of crazy shit
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    I don't think you do too badly....Pattern making is imagining a shape in 3D - inside out. The occasional error when trying to programme a machining path is only to be expected.

Has anyone else seen the ad on TV for "kinetic sand" a Xmas "must have" for kids ? I immediately wondered what the binding agent is and what temperature it would take....Must have a look next time I'm at the Warehouse.
    Funny you should say that Grumph, those same thoughts popped into my head too...

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    Funny you should say that Grumph, those same thoughts popped into my head too...
    Silly Putty sand is the brainchild of a Sweden-based arts and crafts company called Delta of Sweden. They call it Deltasand, but have sold the license to several toymakers who will probably change its name. One notable toy company now selling Silly Putty sand is Colorado-based WABA Fun. They've decided to call it Kinetic Sand.
    What gives Kinetic Sand, which is actually 98 percent silicon dioxide (a fancy word for sand), its malleable form? It has polydimethyl siloxane, or PDMS, in it. PDMS belongs to a group of polymeric organosilicon compounds and is most notably used as an anti-foaming agent in industrial process liquids.

But if you've ever held Silly Putty in your hand, you know what PDMS is. Or, as Core 77 notes, if you've ever eaten chicken nuggets at McDonald's or Wendy's, you've encountered it there, too. The fast-food chains use it to, we're assuming, keep the chicken nuggets from foaming.

And according to the Kinetic Sand safety data sheet, if you swallow it, there's "No need for first aid."
    but does it hold its shape?

latter
    When you described it I thought of a Mythbusters episode where they used Gauva gum and some other non newtonian fluids, the ingredient in silly putty is polydimethylsiloxane a viscoelastic liquid.
    they were a liquis that becomes a soild when pressure is applied ie hitting with a hammer or squeezing with your hands they revert to a liquid otherwise

Silly Putty is a toy based on silicone polymers that have unusual physical properties. It bounces, but breaks when given a sharp blow and can also flow like a liquid. It contains a viscoelastic liquid silicone, a type of non-Newtonian fluid, which makes it act as a viscous liquid over a long time period but as an elastic solid over a short time period. It was originally created by accident during research into potential rubber substitutes for use by the United States in World War II.

The name Silly Putty is a trademark of Crayola LLC; the company's manufacturer is based in Easton, Pennsylvania. Other names are used to market similar substances from other manufacturers.

Contents [hide]
    1 Description
    2 History
    3 Other uses
    4 See also
    5 References
    6 External links

Description[edit]

As a bouncing putty, Silly Putty is noted for its unusual characteristics: it bounces, but breaks when given a sharp blow; it can also float in a liquid and will form a puddle given enough time. Silly Putty and most other retail putty products have thixotropic agents added to reduce the flow and enable the putty to hold its shape.

File:Sillyputty.ogg
    Play media

Video showing Silly Putty bouncing
    The original coral-colored Silly Putty is composed of 65% dimethyl siloxane (hydroxy-terminated polymers with boric acid), 17% silica (crystalline quartz), 9% Thixatrol ST (castor oil derivative), 4% polydimethylsiloxane, 1% decamethyl cyclopentasiloxane, 1% glycerine, and 1% titanium dioxide.[citation needed]

Silly Putty's unusual flow characteristics are due to the ingredient polydimethylsiloxane (PDMS), a viscoelastic liquid. Viscoelasticity is a type of non-Newtonian flow, characterizing material that acts as a viscous liquid over a long time period but as an elastic solid over a short time period. Because its apparent viscosity increases directly with respect to the amount of force applied, Silly Putty can be characterized as a dilatant fluid.

Silly Putty is also a fairly good adhesive. When newspaper ink was petroleum based, Silly Putty could be used to transfer newspaper images to other surfaces, possibly after introducing distortion. Newer papers with soy-based inks are more resistant to this activity.

Silly Putty will dissolve when in contact with an alcohol; after the alcohol evaporates, the material will not exhibit its original properties.

Silly Putty shown as a solid cube
    Generally, Silly Putty is difficult to remove from textured items such as hair and clothing. Hand sanitizers containing alcohol are often helpful. The maker, Crayola, suggests WD-40.[1]

If Silly Putty is submerged in warm or hot water, it will become softer and thus "melt" much faster. It also becomes harder to remove small amounts of it from surfaces. After a long period of time, it will return to its original viscosity.

Silly Putty is sold as a 13 g (0.46 oz) piece of plastic clay inside an egg-shaped plastic container. It is available in various colors, including glow-in-the-dark and metallic. The brand is owned by Crayola LLC (formerly the Binney & Smith company), which also owns Crayola crayons. As of July 2009, twenty thousand eggs of Silly Putty are sold daily. Since 1950, more than 300 million eggs of Silly Putty (approximately 4,500 short tons or 4,100 tonnes) have been sold.[2] Other brands offer similar materials in larger size containers and in a wide variety of colors, such as pink, blue and yellow, or with different properties, such as magnetism and iridescence.

History[edit]

During World War II, Japan invaded rubber-producing countries as they expanded their sphere of influence in the Pacific Rim. Rubber was vital for the production of rafts, tires, vehicle and aircraft parts, gas masks, and boots. In the U.S., all rubber products were rationed; citizens were encouraged to make their rubber products last until the end of the war and to donate spare tires, boots, and coats. Meanwhile, the government funded research into synthetic rubber compounds to attempt to solve this shortage.[3]

Credit for the invention of Silly Putty is disputed[4] and has been attributed variously to Earl Warrick, of the then newly formed Dow Corning; Harvey Chin; and James Wright,[5] a Scottish inventor working for General Electric in New Haven, Connecticut.[6] Throughout his life, Warrick insisted that he and his colleague, Rob Roy McGregor, received the patent for Silly Putty before Wright did; but Crayola's history of Silly Putty states that Wright first invented it in 1943.[3][7][8] Both researchers independently discovered that reacting boric acid with silicone oil would produce a gooey, bouncy material with several unique properties. The non-toxic putty would bounce when dropped, could stretch farther than regular rubber, would not go moldy, and had a very high melting temperature.

Wright found that the substance did not have all the properties needed to replace rubber, so it was not used for any purpose. In 1945 Wright sent samples to scientists all around the world, but no practical use was ever found.

In 1949, the putty reached the owner of a toy store, Ruth Fallgatter. She contacted Peter Hodgson, a marketing consultant. The two decided to market the bouncing putty by selling it in a clear case. Although it sold well, Fallgatter did not pursue it further. However, Hodgson saw its potential.

Already $12,000 in debt, Hodgson borrowed $147 to buy a batch of the putty to pack 1 oz (28 g) portions into plastic eggs for $1, calling it Silly Putty. After selling over 250,000[9] eggs of silly putty in three days, Hodgson was almost put out of business in 1951 by the Korean War. Silicone, a main ingredient in silly putty, was put on ration, harming his business. A year later the restriction on silicone was lifted and the production of Silly Putty resumed.[2] Initially, it was primarily targeted towards adults. However, by 1955 the majority of its customers were aged 6 to 12. In 1957, Hodgson produced the first televised commercial for Silly Putty, which aired during the Howdy Doody Show.

In 1961 Silly Putty went worldwide, becoming a hit in the Soviet Union and Europe. In 1968 it was taken into lunar orbit by the Apollo 8 astronauts.

Peter Hodgson died in 1976. A year later, Binney & Smith, the makers of Crayola products, acquired the rights to Silly Putty. By 1987, annual Silly Putty sales exceeded two million eggs.

Silly Putty was inducted into the National Toy Hall of Fame in 2001.

Other uses[edit]

After its success as a toy, other uses were found. In the home, it can be used to remove substances such as dirt, lint, pet hair, or ink from various surfaces. The material's unique properties have found niche use in medical and scientific applications. Physical therapists use it for rehabilitative therapy of hand injuries. A number of other brands (such as Power Putty and TheraPutty) alter the material's properties, offering different levels of resistance. The material is also used therapeutically for stress reduction. Because of its adhesive characteristics, it was used by Apollo astronauts to secure their tools in zero-gravity.[10] Scale model building hobbyists use the putty as a masking medium when spray painting model assemblies.[11]
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Flettner View Post
    WilDun, you got that furnace going? I might need to get some stuff cast.
    Haven't looked in much lately - thought the thread had died but got a pleasant surprise, having just had a look in.

Well, yes, sort of ready but i hope to have it going over the holidays (at another venue). - Ha ha, - yes you'll no doubt get the best quality castings in NZ from here!

That "sand" is extremely interesting stuff I must say, but is there anywhere at all it could be used for casting and foundry work?

Bike
    husaberg
    just found this
    http://www.abcstuff.com/deltasand.php
    ◾Spread flat and trace letters and words using your finger or a stylus, or shape into letters using our alphabet molds.

◾ After making shapes with DeltaSand or stamping with an alphabet mold, you can bake DeltaSand in a 250 degree oven and the shape will harden and can be painted. Just reheat Delta Sand in the oven and crumble while warm and it becomes reusable, moldable sand again.
    ◾Non-toxic, never dries out, nothing to wear out.
    ◾Sanitize DeltaSand by spraying a mist of a spoonful of chlorine bleach mixed in a quart of water, and let air dry before use.
    Because the soft, wax-coated sand sticks together and never dries out, anything your child sculpts can be baked in a 250-degree oven. Once cooled it becomes a durable work of art or a permanent prop in his imaginative play. But reheat it again and crumble while warm, and it reverts to the moldable, squeezable sand.
    http://www.timberdoodle.com/DeltaSand_p/782-023.htm
    MAKE A SOLID SCULPTURE IN COLOUR! 1. compact some soft Deltasand onto the back of a ceramic tile. 2. Shape it into a rough version of the shape you want. 3. Bake in a conventional kitchen oven at 125°c/250°F for 60 min per kg (30 min per lb). 4. Let it cool off inside the oven. 5. Remove from the oven and sculpt the baked Deltasand with the mirett or other carving tools. 6. Paint with water-based paints.
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    just found this
    That's incredible! - but (and there's got to be a "but" in there somewhere), why hasn't it been used before as a serious tool in the foundry industry? -I don't think it's a completely new discovery.

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by WilDun View Post
    That's incredible! - but (and there's got to be a "but" in there somewhere), why hasn't it been used before as a serious tool in the foundry industry? -I don't think it's a completely new discovery.
    I don't think it can replace a refactory sand, due to it being unable to cope with the heat of casting, but I think it does have applications in making pattern for lost wax or plastic, as a reusable silicon........
    Then again clay could work plus be able to make resin sand core patterns
    the other thing is silly putty has not long turned 50 coincidently which is how long patents traditionally last..........
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    How re useable is it after 750 degrees attacks it? At that type of setting temp you will still need a metal die to set it in. How will you get the sand into the steel die?
    Whats wrong with shell moulding sand, sets at 280 / 300 degrees, can handle 750 while the alloy cools ( keeps its shape ), runs like water into the die ( even better with air assistance ), runs like water after the casting is done and you need to get the stuff out of your cylinder you just cast.
    If you want cold setting sand ( for in wooden boxes ), just use the CO2 type, cheap and easiy to use.
    Concetrate on making stuff ( casting aluminium ), there is a LOT of things still to be made using tried and true methods.

What a pitty to see hours of work go up in smoke because the medium was not up to the job.

Hey just my two cents worth

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    Actually, from you that's probably about 23cents worth

Bike
    STRIKE trike & KTM300 EXC TPI
    Got to agree with Neil on this. Shell core is pretty good. For small sections, they harden almost instantaneously, are very hard, durable and long lasting. The downside is that you need metal coreboxes. My experience with CO2 cores is that they are not very strong, soft and breakdown after a couple of days, so need to be used pretty soon after setting. Resin sand is somewhere in between. The upside of these processes is that timber & plastic (especially 3D printed coreboxes) can be used. Horses for courses
    Pics show the main central core used for the ARC (Australian made kart engine). These are over 15 years old, still strong and still hard to even scratch with the fingernail.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ARC main core 1.JPG 
Views:	61 
Size:	112.5 KB 
ID:	307011   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ARC main core 2.JPG 
Views:	46 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	307012  
    "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.”

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Sleeve valve crank case patterns. Bit of a half assed way to build them but too bad this is how it's going to be. Note the cavity to house the balance shaft. Gearbox is YZ250.

Name:	IMG_5157.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	781.6 KB 
ID:	307324   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5158.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	770.8 KB 
ID:	307325   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5159.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	762.6 KB 
ID:	307326   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5160.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	783.6 KB 
ID:	307329  

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    This is whats been holding up progress, my new gyro / bike trailer. I just finished it, outside ramps are for the gyro wheels.

Name:	IMG_5102.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	885.8 KB 
ID:	307327   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5103.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	881.1 KB 
ID:	307328  

Thread Information