Page 46 of 337 FirstFirst ... 3644454647485696146 ... LastLast

Thread: The Bucket Foundry

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    Ahh c`mon, young whippersnappers like you its all PlayStations and chasing girls.
    We didn't need playstations (we had bikes) and the girls chased US!

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    Windows 8.1 and the printer/scanner being no longer on the control panel anymore. That plus I had started to tidy the book collection, so it was kind of hidden on the floor of the office.

I will do the plastic engine tonight. (PEEK)

In the first paragraph or so it says the guy doesn't look like an engineer on account of his beard and glasses, i'm reading it and its like er.........that's what they do all look like.

I see they do some peek/carbon and ceramic composites now. might have been what John Britten had Greg
    I found the issue of Classic mechanics with the PEEK engine in it - you forgot the very dodgy character on the cover holding a piece like he stole it...
    Asked the right people here about the Britten stuff. It basically was what they now call "hairy bog". May have been brewed locally from cut up CF mat and an HT epoxy. Eurodave reckons it's easy to make if i want to cast something in it. Recommends using a mat reinforcement if it's slightly structural...No heat required to set either apparently but until they increased the draft on the moulds it was a bit difficult to get the finished piece out.

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    I found the issue of Classic mechanics with the PEEK engine in it - you forgot the very dodgy character on the cover holding a piece like he stole it...
    Asked the right people here about the Britten stuff. It basically was what they now call "hairy bog". May have been brewed locally from cut up CF mat and an HT epoxy. Eurodave reckons it's easy to make if i want to cast something in it. Recommends using a mat reinforcement if it's slightly structural...No heat required to set either apparently but until they increased the draft on the moulds it was a bit difficult to get the finished piece out.

I think did pretty well remembering that the mag was yellow and had a ES2 on it, i should get points for that.
    I am guessing it was not a sucess anyway as we are not overflowing with PEEK pistons.

So what did they make with the "hairy BOG" though. I found some stuff like that on the net mainly for repairing CF bodywork.
    Also was it machinable (with propper breathing gear)
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    1944 RE 1

Back on track?

Must say I'm finding all this stuff fascinating (ie. all this oddball engine stuff) and I wouldn't want to miss it for the world, but is there a niche for this somewhere?

Unfortunately the thing is getting way off track - the foundry thread is good, especially with the experienced input we so often get here, but all the valuable foundry info could be swamped amongst other stuff and become a free for all if we're not careful! - the ESE thread is extremely busy already.

Trouble is the whole forum is supposed to be about Bucket Racing and this sort of stuff doesn't fit in with that totally either (loosely maybe).
    Is it possible for someone to start a thread, maybe called " Oddball Engine Prototypes" or similar and maybe transfer this (great) current conversation to it without it being looked on as not being "Bucket Material" ?

What does YOW LING think?

What does the Moderator think?

What does anyone think?

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by WilDun View Post
    Must say I'm finding all this stuff fascinating (ie. all this oddball engine stuff) and I wouldn't want to miss it for the world, but is there a niche for this somewhere?

Unfortunately the thing is getting way off track - the foundry thread is good, especially with the experienced input we so often get here, but all the valuable foundry info could be swamped amongst other stuff and become a free for all if we're not careful! - the ESE thread is extremely busy already.

Trouble is the whole forum is supposed to be about Bucket Racing and this sort of stuff doesn't fit in with that totally either (loosely maybe).
    Is it possible for someone to start a thread, maybe called " Oddball Engine Prototypes" or similar and maybe transfer this (great) current conversation to it without it being looked on as not being "Bucket Material" ?

What does YOW LING think?

What does the Moderator think?

What does anyone think?
    done
    http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...post1130797063
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Hey, this is just fill in stuff untill the next big foundry thing comes along, I say it's good!

Bike
    YLR150RR and a RD350LC
    Yea , I think its good, no maths or intelectual stuff, almost all of it has foundrywork involved.
    I like it more than endless discussions on the RSA125, but there is a seperate thread for that.

I love big semi diesels, and old stationary engines, weird shit, Yamaha 2 strokes, fiat 500's
    machine tools, tractors and farm machinery

So I guess you can post anything here as long as its interesting, and we can still post foundry stuff when we have something to post

Think of it as life support for the thread
    My neighbours diary says I have boundary issues

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    That was quick, didn't expect that my post would have even been noticed yet! However, it seems to have faded away again (unless its my computer playing up).
    I can see that not everyone will agree - that's fair enough and maybe there are not too many enthusiastic foundrymen around of course, but it is a great learning tool for those who might be keen to discuss foundry things, there was also quite a bit of interest from overseas too.

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    I am keen to get back to pattern work but I've had my time taken up finishing my bloody gyro. I need to get the Autoflight twostroke test run some more but then it will need to fly. All the little bits take soo long although it is close now.
    Priced up a crucible yesterday, might have to get my own foundry up and running again I think. Do my own test castings without anyone watching. ( the mistakes )

Bike
    YLR150RR and a RD350LC
    I have been using my furnace for a different job, I recently foo'd up the sleeve in my 2 stroke , it used to take ages to warm it up in the oven or head it with a 4500 watt heat gun till the sleeve dropped out , now i just put it in the furnace and its done in just a few minutes, popped a blank sleeve in , waited for it to cool down and chucked it in nitric acid to etch the ports, should really let it cool more next time , the fumes were brown and a bit intimidating. New sleeve about half done
    My neighbours diary says I have boundary issues

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    I suggested the thread ( Oddball Engines & Prototypes) and was expecting a debate of the pros and cons on my hands, however, HUSA thought it was good and set it in motion anyway - no pissing around here! just do it I guess!

I hope it doesn't detract anything from this thread, but the idea was to open stuff up about old forgotten engine designs and show them to some younger enthusiastic guys who might be inspired to make some improvements, or be inspired to come up with new designs.

Let's hope it doesn't get canned as it's not necessarily motorcycle material, let alone Bucket material (but could be). There's a wealth of stuff which has been forgotten and which doesn't appear on the net anymore and which only exists in old scrapbooks etc. and I'm sure a lot of people in the forum will find something interesting.

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Flettner View Post
    Priced up a crucible yesterday, might have to get my own foundry up and running again I think. Do my own test castings without anyone watching. ( the mistakes )
    Flettner,
    Good to see you're having another try at casting your own, hope you've got another drum left for a new furnace!
    Pity about all the good foundries having to close down, but some good comes out of everything I guess.
    Hope it'll be a big success, like the patternmaking - I'd say quite a few people will be interested.

Yow Ling,
    Interesting to see you used your furnace for other stuff as well, guess you had to be careful your cylinder didn't turn into a 'blob' !

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    I meet a guy over at thames foundry ( when it was running ) who was making a cylinder head for his raceing car, not sure what type, but the rules stated that the original head must be used. He did use the original head but melted it down and reformed it ( cast ) into a new style of head ( four valve I think ), good thinking as he was within the rules!
    just thinking about your cylinder melting yow ling.

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Flettner View Post
    He did use the original head but melted it down and reformed it ( cast ) into a new style of head ( four valve I think ), good thinking as he was within the rules!
    Good one! - but could he prove it?

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Yow Ling View Post

Think of it as life support for the thread
    Yes I do think you are right of course and perish the thought that the engine design stuff should disappear from this thread.
    My thinking was that the engine design stuff needed some space of it's own, otherwise it could take over completely and make some of our foundry stuff look decidedly mediocre, ie the real world stuff which is "actually happening" is often not seen to be as spectacular as stuff that "could be" or "could have been".
    (Then, as always, I could be wrong!).

Thread Information