RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Will I need a Pari-Dakar tank?
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Quote Originally Posted by Flettner View Post
    I have gear clusters in my pattern shop ready for a modified pattern. Will run a ballance shaft.
    And a 24 / 7 reed system.
    We don't speak of fuel burn.

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    More pictures, ballance shaft and drive.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5362.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	366.3 KB 
ID:	312333   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5364.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	357.4 KB 
ID:	312334   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5365.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	337.0 KB 
ID:	312335   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5366.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	411.1 KB 
ID:	312336   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5367.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	365.5 KB 
ID:	312337   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5368.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	372.2 KB 
ID:	312338  

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Water outlets
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5369.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	380.1 KB 
ID:	312339  

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    More pictures, ballance shaft and drive.
    That looks very impressive, you've done a massive lot of work on it lately and if it all works out it'll be a great coup for NZ!
    It looks like the parallel twin with the balance shaft has won the battle over both the tandem types whether contra rotating or not, have you given up on them completely?

I'm still practising mould making and have already made about five of them, using a small wooden no-name pattern which I concocted, each one was better than the one before and the last one was perfect except that I hashed it up a little when I cut the gates into it, but next one should be great, I'm using using greensand which I mixed myself - (all tradition style casting to begin with), microwave will have to wait till next week as I need to do a bit more research on it.
    Also doing a wooden pattern on the lathe - something more functional, I already know the lathe and have done a little on patterns etc. which will help, but the moulding part is entirely new to me and will take a bit of learning to get it just right!
    Hats off to you guys who have got it right - it's a skill which needs hands on learning!

Bike
    STRIKE trike & KTM300 EXC TPI
    Neil,
    Absolutely fantastic. You're a legend. Something about Kiwis. Must be something in the water.
    There's rewards for passion , dunno what they are, but certainly job satisfaction 100%. Fuck unions, gov't grants, gov't incentives, health and safety crap, do gooders, nimbys, blah, blah.... just get into it and do it. I love it.
    Goodonya, Kensational
    "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.”

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by ken seeber View Post
    Neil,

There's rewards for passion , dunno what they are, but certainly job satisfaction 100%.ve it.
    Goodonya, Kensational
    Passion for this business which will probably still be there even on on THE big day, is probably the best reward there is, as far as he and people like him are concerned anyway.

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI

casting cylinders at our secret development department, deep behind the iron curtain.

Bike
    none
    Neil, I know next to nothing about casting so this may well be a dumb question, but why do you pour the molten metal from the top of the crucible, where the impurities are floating, instead of from the bottom, like a tea pot?

Another question: have you ever considered letting the counter balance gears rotate around the engine's exit shaft? It might make for a shorter engine.

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Quote Originally Posted by Frits Overmars View Post
    Neil, I know next to nothing about casting so this may be well a dumb question, but why do you pour the molten metal from the top of the crucible, where the impurities are floating, instead of from the bottom, like a tea pot?

Another question: have you ever considered to let the counter balance gears rotate around the engine's exit shaft? It might make for a shorter engine.
    You want my secrets

Real foundrys probably have such crucibles but I don't, we clear the inpurities off before pouring plus you can use ceramic filters in the sand moulds for that very reason. I don't because I don't have any. You just be careful when you pour.

Yes I was looking at running the bob weights around the output shaft but it would have meant putting gear drive at each end of the engine, one for each bob weight. This way I only use one drive, the bob weight drive is under the carbs anyway.

By the way the furnace runs on spare Kawasaki F9 fuel, ethanol with a hint of castor, perfume!

I know this all looks a little "Dad and dave" but it works for me.

Bike
    none
    You want my secrets
    Real foundrys probably have such crucibles but I don't, we clear the inpurities off before pouring plus you can use ceramic filters in the sand moulds for that very reason. I don't because I don't have any. You just be careful when you pour.
    Yes I was looking at running the bob weights around the output shaft but it would have meant putting gear drive at each end of the engine, one for each bob weight. This way I only use one drive, the bob weight drive is under the carbs anyway.
    By the way the furnace runs on spare Kawasaki F9 fuel, ethanol with a hint of castor, perfume!
    I know this all looks a little "Dad and dave" but it works for me.
    I knew you would have your reasons, Neil.
    Next question: what is "Dad and dave"? Oh well, let's save that for another occasion. Maybe when I visit NZ (if I can find a sponsor ).

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by Frits Overmars View Post
    I knew you would have your reasons, Neil.
    Next question: what is "Dad and dave"? Oh well, let's save that for another occasion. Maybe when I visit NZ (if I can find a sponsor ).
    If you can beg, borrow or steal an interesting/significant/historic bike to bring out - and demonstrate - there are a couple of Classic/Post Classic race meetings which could be interested in covering costs....

Dad and dave was a radio serial based on life down on the farm...very basic, crude by todays standards. Neil might have the location - and the gumboots - but he definitely doesn't match the rest.

Bike
    1944 RE 1

What are those moulds made of? they look remarkably intact and take quite a knock to get them to fall apart.

Also, I'm sure you told us somewhere before, but what is the flammible powder you put on the sprues and runners to keep them from solidifying too soon?
    The next furnace I build will use the same layout as that one - so simple and handy!

I like the tongs - I'm struggling to perfect my one man tongs but I'm going to try and get them right today.

I'm about to make another (6th) practice mould - hoping to get it perfect this time, great fun, but this one should be the one to actually have metal poured into it!

Great job, keep up the good work and the commentary.

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Quote Originally Posted by WilDun View Post
    What are those moulds made of? they look remarkably intact and take quite a knock to get them to fall apart.

Also, I'm sure you told us somewhere before, but what is the flammible powder you put on the sprues and runners to keep them from solidifying too soon?

Sodium Silicate, CO2 setting sand. Thats what the mixer was built for some pages ago. These moulds are held tegether with sand glue. Flammible powder, I call it magic fairy dust, but that might be somthing else? I'll have a look when I'm back in the workshop. Lunch Time at the moment.

Bike
    husaberg
    Sodium Silicate, CO2 setting sand. Thats what the mixer was built for some pages ago. These moulds are held tegether with sand glue. Flammible powder, I call it magic fairy dust, but that might be somthing else? I'll have a look when I'm back in the workshop. Lunch Time at the moment.
    The fairy dust is I believe magnesium powder. Burns very hot and delays the cooling in the runners and risers to ensure complete filling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Thread Information