Page 47 of 337 FirstFirst ... 3745464748495797147 ... LastLast

Thread: The Bucket Foundry

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    Quote Originally Posted by WilDun View Post
    . . . (Then, as always, I could be wrong!).
    Best check with the wife for the answer to that

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by speedpro View Post
    Best check with the wife for the answer to that
    I know the answer there -but just in case, I need a second opinion!

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    FLETTNER,
    I found this on my computer just by chance, probably filed it away and forgot it, - might interest you as it seems to have (sort of ?) sleeve valve operation of the ports, I dunno.
    I'm sure it isn't up and running yet, otherwise we would have heard about it! - the English used in the description is a little hard to follow here and there! ( I think it's probably from Poland).
    It could possibly be useful for inspiration at a later date.

http://www.wolfhartindustries.com/engine.htm

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    This may also interest you - just managed to scan it from my old scrapbook.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wardill Engine 001.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	158.3 KB 
ID:	306115Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wardill Engine 2 001.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	196.5 KB 
ID:	306116Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wardill Engine 3 001.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	92.9 KB 
ID:	306117

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Also found this one which I mentioned earlier ......... might interest you, might not.

Name:	Wankel Type Exhaust Valve Experiment 001.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	443.4 KB 
ID:	306219

Bike
    honda ct now FXR SCORPA SY 250
    Quote Originally Posted by WilDun View Post
    Also found this one which I mentioned earlier ......... might interest you, might not.

Name:	Wankel Type Exhaust Valve Experiment 001.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	443.4 KB 
ID:	306219
    Just at a look I cant see how this can hold compression without the rotary valve becoming part of a bad shape chamber. inlet or exhaust would be open.

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew a View Post
    Just at a look I cant see how this can hold compression without the rotary valve becoming part of a bad shape chamber. inlet or exhaust would be open.
    Andrew,
    Just something I had in an old scrapbook and I really don't know what ever became of it.
    You are most likely correct in what you say though, as it was never heard of again to my knowledge.
    However, FLETTNER was asking earlier for suggestions on OHV designs on two strokes and I just sent this in as a (vague) possibility.

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    How interesting, this was one of the ideas I had, didn't realise it had been tried before.
    Shouldn't this be all over on the oddball engine thread now?
    What I ment to say was thank you for posting it.

Bike
    YLR150RR and a RD350LC
    Just keep em coming Will, they all made from castings.
    My neighbours diary says I have boundary issues

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Flettner View Post
    How interesting, this was one of the ideas I had, didn't realise it had been tried before.
    Shouldn't this be all over on the oddball engine thread now?
    What I ment to say was thank you for posting it.
    FLETTNER & YOW LING.
    I just re-discovered that snippet a couple of days ago and when I last looked at it years ago (maybe 20), I was looking from a two stroke perspective - it was two stroke only for me in those days).

The Odball Forum? - No, this is about the valves we were discussing I would rather keep it here.

- You see what I mean about not getting all that stuff in with the foundry thread too much? - all good fun though!

However I'm just not able to get things like this going these days (haven't got the oomph - maybe never had!) - but if you are interested Flettner..... but for me it's far from being even a a serious thought!.

YL, - Yes, got some more of this old stuff I'm digging up every day, I'll put it on here as I won't really be doing much with it now. When I kick the bucket, (eventually) it'll all end up in the tip for sure!

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew a View Post
    One face of the rotor plain - firing when this is in place blocking the port slots in the chamber. Sealing ? Mmmh.
    One face exhaust port
    One face inlet port.

Very poor flow lines, masked ports, poor flow efficiency. If you want better, you'd have to go much wider with the rotor - and it looks heavy at the top now.
    Aspin did it better with his later cylindrical rotary valve. inlet one end, exhaust the other. Massive heat problems but...

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    One face of the rotor plain - firing when this is in place blocking the port slots in the chamber. Sealing ? Mmmh.
    One face exhaust port
    One face inlet port.

Very poor flow lines, masked ports, poor flow efficiency. If you want better, you'd have to go much wider with the rotor - and it looks heavy at the top now.
    Aspin did it better with his later cylindrical rotary valve. inlet one end, exhaust the other. Massive heat problems but...

Wasn't the later model Aspin still a conical valve? I know the Cross was cylindrical. but then it's a long time since I last looked.

As I remember it from studying how it worked, that's probably 30 years ago, it had it's problems and in order to overcome some of those, the rotational speed was not constant. (I think) it slowed up under compression and power strokes and was sped up again, by a complicated drive either by using some sort of crank arrangement on the drive gears, or perhaps an elliptical gearing arrangement in the drive. (Might find that somewhere, been a while though.......)
    Still didn't cure all the problems, and it faded away - sad to see that happen.
    EDIT. - I read that he started using planetary gearing on the input to the valve to speed up and slow down the rotation.

But maybe it tells us something, either put up with lots of smoke and worn valves (through the sliding motion) of the rotary valves, or red hot rattly poppet valves with all their restrictions!
    Guess which has been winning for the last 100+ years!

As for that picture of the "wankel valve" - it never was developed to my knowledge and I agree that it would be a hard job to get it to work the way it appears in the pic, but who knows, with a bit of rearranging as to how it is used, it stands as good a chance as Aspin or Cross I reckon.

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    This is what I was referring to

Name:	ASPIN VALVE (cyclic drive description) 001.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	664.6 KB 
ID:	306298

Bike
    YLR150RR and a RD350LC
    My neighbours diary says I have boundary issues

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Yeah, checked all that a couple of nights ago, already knew about half of them, the rest are new (to me).

In one way it's fantastic and then it's also sickening to know that we're in the bloody information supermarket!
    "Paradise" is what I would have called it 30 years ago when we had to scratch for info. Now it's coming out of our ears - and what do we do with it? - we "file it away till later" and later will be too late! (apologies to Flettner of course).

I still have one or two little snippets which I haven't seen there and with a bit of luck, mine won't look spectacular enough to end up in a great supermarket shelf. Having said that, I still go through them, can't help myself!

Back to foundries, I lit up my furnace today, heated it up with a hot air gun first then ran it for about an hour with the burner. It was quite close to the house so I had to put up some sheilds, Then finally the gas ran out, but not before it got quite hot - it's now in the process of cooling down.
    Was all a bit inconclusive really and I'm not totally convinced that my super duper burner is hot enough, but then, as always , I could be wrong!

Thread Information