Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2000 GSX1200 run on 91, 95 or 98 and why?

Bike
    2000 Honda Hornet 600
    Quote Originally Posted by imdying View Post
    Not really, you're probably confused by RON vs MON. Not that we live anywhere but here in any case...
    Quite likely, I'm not so knowledgeable about the petroleum industry - only know that the prices seem to go up more often than down.

It's your money...
    Not even the money, it's my engine I'm thinking of...
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behaviour does.

Bike
    Bikes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigadee View Post
    Quite likely, I'm not so knowledgeable about the petroleum industry - only know that the prices seem to go up more often than down.
    Check it out for sure, wiki will have an article. Basically a lot of what you see around the net is using American figures, which are lower than ours, even though they're equivalent to each other.

Not even the money, it's my engine I'm thinking of...
    I think you would be unlikely to come across to many Japanese bikes that expired of that, they tend to fall of the road well before that causes any problems.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Banditbandit View Post
    Why ?? The aftermarket pipe on my big Bandit is not sealed - sounds great on the over-run ... between 3,500 and 2,500rpm ... crackles and pops .. I blip the throttle just to listen ...
    Why? - sounds like a untuned snap crackle pop machine that has not been set-up correctly! If it is nicely sealed you'll get a deep burble on the over-run with maybe a background tune of gentle humming 'pops' from the PAIR system. Sweet.

Your WOF inspector must be slack - they should specifically check for leaks In the exhaust system.

Bike
    tedium
    Compression ratio on the tedium is 10.4 to 1 and it runs Ok on the shite 91 stuff they have over here. 91 is the minimum it's designed to run on. It does run noticeably better on 95 but unless I'm in the mood for a fang I'm buggered if I'm paying the extra. I suspect that's just due to 95 being a better quality fuel than the octane rating. I've never found the rather expensive 98 of any brand being any better than the 95. I've ran mainly 91 in the bike, it's now 12 years old and approaching 80,000 Km. I suspect stories of "gunk" in the engine from 91 are just that....stories.

The GSX1200 has a lower compression ratio (9.5 to 1) so I guess you'd be just pissing your money away using 95 or 98.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickha
    Fuck off, cheese has no place in pies
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle
    i would could and can, put a fat fuck down with a bit of brass.

Bike
    500EXC
    Blog Entries
    Glad I bumped into this thred... I have been quite often running the WRr on 91, not realizing the stated minimum 91 recommended was (R+M)/2 which is not the rating pumps use . At 11.8:1 It runs noticeably better on 95, but I don't notice any difference running the e10 98 from Gull vs 91... Is my butt dyno not working or would the ethanol decrease performance?

Bike
    1997 Suzuki RF900R
    Octane is something that is frequently misunderstood, because it is pretty complicated. Effectively, the higher the octane, the HARDER it is to burn the fuel. Lower octane fuel burns EASIER - but it is more prone to spontaneous ignition upon compression. Octane is NOT a rating of 'quality'; 91 is every bit as good quality as 95 or 98 ('they' don't flush out the pipes and use that gunk for 91).
    So, a higher compression engine will prefer higher octane fuel - but 'higher octane' generally means 91, anyway. So you can use octane higher than that, and I know I do, but you probably don't *really* need to
    More here: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel-e...question90.htm

Bike
    1997 Suzuki RF900R
    Quote Originally Posted by oneblackflag View Post
    Glad I bumped into this thred... I have been quite often running the WRr on 91, not realizing the stated minimum 91 recommended was (R+M)/2 which is not the rating pumps use . At 11.8:1 It runs noticeably better on 95, but I don't notice any difference running the e10 98 from Gull vs 91... Is my butt dyno not working or would the ethanol decrease performance?
    From my boating exploits, I know to avoid putting ethanol in a fuel tank. Ethanol should be reserved for after the ride . If it sits in your tank for a while, it turns into water and we all know how much fun water in a fuel tank can be!

Bike
    2000 Honda Hornet 600
    I think you would be unlikely to come across to many Japanese bikes that expired of that, they tend to fall of the road well before that causes any problems.
    I hope I never find out! LOL

Bike
    Your mom
    Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    91 is the minimum it's designed to run on. It does run noticeably better on 95 but unless I'm in the mood for a fang I'm buggered if I'm paying the extra.
    So you can't be fucked running your bike on the right fuel just to save a little bit of money that's a negligible amount in comparison to all the other expenditures of bike ownership? Just buy a push bike if you're going to be that much of a jew.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Not really, you're probably confused by RON vs MON. Not that we live anywhere but here in any case...
    Well, you might transport your bike there to have a ride, then you need to know for sure. Different areas of the USA use RON, MON or (RON+MON)/2.

Otherwise, it simply depends on the bike. General rule of thumb is European bikes take premium, I certainly wouldn't put 91 in the BMW, although I believe it will automatically adjust to manage. The CB900... never put premium in it, 91 is just fine, and it's probably done 100,000km or more on 91 only.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    2000 Honda Hornet 600
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    The CB900... never put premium in it, 91 is just fine, and it's probably done 100,000km or more on 91 only.
    Thanks for the info...

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Thanks for the info...
    I get better milage on 95.....

And even better with a screen....

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    On 91 I get around 250-270 per tank before reserve, if that helps. 270km is very economical, very rare to get less than 250km. Motorways and suburban roads, complete mix and consumption doesn't really vary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOKEU View Post
    So you can't be fucked running your bike on the right fuel just to save a little bit of money that's a negligible amount in comparison to all the other expenditures of bike ownership? Just buy a push bike if you're going to be that much of a jew.
    Is that you Akzle .. ???

So ... you're an expert on octane levels/economy ... when you struggle to sort YOUR on air filters ...

Pull your fucking head in fella ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    On 91 I get around 250-270 per tank before reserve, if that helps. 270km is very economical, very rare to get less than 250km. Motorways and suburban roads, complete mix and consumption doesn't really vary.
    I average 14 km's per liter ... on 91. On a 23 liter tank I "may" get 300 + out of a tank. I haven't pushed my luck ... and gassed up before that.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Thread Information