Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2000 GSX1200 run on 91, 95 or 98 and why?

Bike
    1998 Suzuki Gsxr 600 SRAD

2000 GSX1200 run on 91, 95 or 98 and why?

has 100,000km on it.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    aviation fuel. JP8.

Bike
    Blandit 1200, DRZ250 K, Beta xtrainer
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    aviation fuel. JP8.
    What would you know,Dork. You dont have a bike....or a life.

I run my GSX 1200 on 95. Why-I dont think 91 is great, except for the lawnmower.{not great science there!} You could probably get away with 91 but for the few extra cents I dont see it as an issue. Has yours been de-restricted? Makes them run GREAT when they are.

Bike
    R100GSPD
    compared to most car engines a motorbike engine is a ahighprerfromance one with high compression.You should us 95 as a mimimum.I dont have any specific knowledge to back this up

Bike
    1998 Suzuki Gsxr 600 SRAD
    OK thanks all, i tried running it on 95 and it seemed really poppy when i was engine breaking and backfired a bit..not sure if thats good or bad although i did sound kinda cool :P

Bike
    Eeyore
    Mine runs fine on 91.
    If it rains on your parade, use the umbrella of eternal optimism

Bike
    FZR,Jog,GZ maybe CBR?
    It NEEDS good fuel - its a bloody sports bike!! The older bikes and cars like mine made back in the days of leaded fuel and have high compression motors especially do not take kindly to 91, leave that to the '90's economy spec sedans.

It will run lean and eventually melt pistons. That said the GSX is pretty modern, has 9:5:1 compression which isn't super high and it doesn't red line at 20,000 rpm or the sky either. So you could be safe with 91.

It may not like it though and might feel more like a slug than a sports bike. Up to you. Personally I'd use the good stuff. It is a sports bike after all.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    I had a GS1200ss - 91 or 95 was just fine - did not notice any difference between the two.

If you are popping on deceleration I'm presuming you have a aftermarket muffler on it? If so it is highly likely it is not sealed properly where the muffler joins the mid pipe. loosen the clamp here and squeeze in some high temp silicone sealant (Supercheap have small tubes http://www.supercheapauto.co.nz/onli...pid=5366#Cross).

Allow it to set overnight and reclamp the muffler in the morning.

Bike
    2 675R's & a Tracer GT
    I thought octane rating related to anti knock, or pre ignition? Which relates directly to compression ratio. What does Suzuki recommend? I'd be surprised if they stated over 91 as a minimum. I doubt the 12 has a very high compression ratio. My old SV thou had a reasonably high comp ratio and the book said to use 91 minimum. Though all my Triumphs do say to use 95 minimum.

Running a higher octane fuel than required is just wasting money. It doesn't make an engine run any differently. I'm sure this whole subject has been done to death on a good number of occasions.

In summary, I'd just throw 91 in it, unless Suzuki say otherwise.
    Do us all a favour, by bringing yourself up to speed, before pulling onto the motorway.

Bike
    MVs & Ducatis
    91, it is a very basic lump of an engine and will run fine on 91

Bike
    Yamaha MT09 Tracer
    Quote Originally Posted by FZR250 View Post
    It NEEDS good fuel - its a bloody sports bike!! The older bikes and cars like mine made back in the days of leaded fuel and have high compression motors especially do not take kindly to 91, leave that to the '90's economy spec sedans.

It will run lean and eventually melt pistons. That said the GSX is pretty modern, has 9:5:1 compression which isn't super high and it doesn't red line at 20,000 rpm or the sky either. So you could be safe with 91.

It may not like it though and might feel more like a slug than a sports bike. Up to you. Personally I'd use the good stuff. It is a sports bike after all.
    a sports bike? try naked retro with a detuned gsxr1100 motor, that air/oil motor will run perfect on 91
    'the stickiest situation since sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun'

Cpt Edmund Blackadder

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    I had a GS1200ss - 91 or 95 was just fine - did not notice any difference between the two.

If you are popping on deceleration I'm presuming you have a aftermarket muffler on it? If so it is highly likely it is not sealed properly where the muffler joins the mid pipe. loosen the clamp here and squeeze in some high temp silicone sealant (Supercheap have small tubes http://www.supercheapauto.co.nz/onli...pid=5366#Cross).

Allow it to set overnight and reclamp the muffler in the morning.
    Nah it will be the pair valves. My 1200 bandit did it untill i dumped the pairs.

Bike
    Bikes!
    It will run lean and eventually melt pistons
    This is rubbish.

Quote Originally Posted by MVnut View Post
    91, it is a very basic lump of an engine and will run fine on 91
    This is not.

Bike
    S1000RR
    Pump diesel. They're cheaper.

Do you also support oil additives to "restore lost horsepower, boost fuel economy and engine performance"?

If you can make it on Kiwibiker you can make it anywhere.

Bike
    Your mom
    There must be more to fuel octane requirements than just the compression ratio. My old MC19 CBR250 ran fine on either 91, 95 or 98. I didn't notice any difference in performance or fuel economy. That had a compression ratio of 11:1 IIRC. Mitsubishi GDI engines and many other direct injected car engines have a lower compression ratio than 11:1, yet they all require a bare minimum of 95 octane fuel in order to run properly, and 98 is even better.

Quote Originally Posted by inazuma1200 View Post
    when i was engine breaking and backfired a bit..not sure if thats good or bad although i did sound kinda cool :P
    If your engine is breaking, then that's a bad thing.

Thread Information