Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heads-up display for motorcycle helmets - Kickstarter campaign

Bike
    2005 Suzuki GZ250

Heads-up display for motorcycle helmets - Kickstarter campaign

Bike
    2014 DL1000 V-Strom L4, KTM 400 EXC
    Blog Entries
    Great idea but could be distracting if the wrong application was being used at the wrong time...?

Wonder if that google glasses concept thingy would achieve the same effect?

Will be following with interest from a safety perspective of course.

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    That plastic case looks like a bit of a whistler, could be a tech stepping stone to some pretty trick helmet/hud and gaugeless bikes though; good to see they are fully backed.
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    I can see the usefulness on a racetrack, but on the road? Nup. Too many things going on outside your helmet already
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    72 Kawasaki A7, 05 Kawasaki W650
    My first response to this is that it really doesn't matter what I, or anyone else, has to say because I guarantee you this product will never come to fruition. Like almost every Kickscammer project of its type, it will never exist. Apart from anything else, $180k isn't even in the ballpark for the kind of money it takes to develop something like this. Try adding another two zeroes.

My second response is that the product is utterly ridiculous. Peaking through that stupid little window to see......what exactly? Speed? I have a speedo. Music? Are you fucking with me?

Stupid gimmick for stupid people.

edit: To reinforce my point, this is literally the best picture they could take of their prototype in action. This is how shitty their product is.

Bike
    2007 CBR1000RR
    Nah, buy the real deal not the amateur try-hard one....

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...st-helmet-ever
    Library Schooled

Bike
    2014 DL1000 V-Strom L4, KTM 400 EXC
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Gayner View Post
    My first response to this is that it really doesn't matter what I, or anyone else, has to say because I guarantee you this product will never come to fruition. Like almost every Kickscammer project of its type, it will never exist. Apart from anything else, $180k isn't even in the ballpark for the kind of money it takes to develop something like this. Try adding another two zeroes.
    I bought a Pebble watch of kickstart and its everything and more I wanted - Not to say I'd buy any old thing off there though. I see they are selling Pebbles in shops now though o well.

Bike
    Sportster
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rustic101 View Post
    I see they are selling Pebbles in shops now though o well.
    That's the point of kickstarter isn't it? Get people to help fund a product to market.
    The incentive to 'investors' being you get something first or slightly cheaper.

Bike
    72 Kawasaki A7, 05 Kawasaki W650
    Quote Originally Posted by Milts View Post
    Nah, buy the real deal not the amateur try-hard one....

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...st-helmet-ever
    Oh look, another product that doesn't actually exist yet, that no one has actually been able to demo. Yawn.

Come back when someone has been able to review this thing, on a motorbike not in a show room.

Bike
    2000 Honda Hornet 600
    Quote Originally Posted by rustic101 View Post
    Great idea but could be distracting if the wrong application was being used at the wrong time...?

Wonder if that google glasses concept thingy would achieve the same effect?
    How many people get killed crossing the road while texting? May likely increase thanks to Google glass...
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behaviour does.

Bike
    A
    Awesome idea, but it seems familiar...oh hang on, all that crap is in my car already...

Bike
    Sonic the Second (II)
    Being a younger tech freak, this looks pretty cool. $180k does seem crazy low though. I wonder if they have other backers. I noticed the image that Mike put up as well and it looked pretty small.

Personally, I love the idea of having connected HUD's. In motor racing it's a no brainer, rocking up to a corner with an accident and you can have a yellow flag showing. Shit on one side of the track and you can have something advising you to stick to the other side. It's another step up from the automated flag marshals that are on modern tracks like Highlands. A lot safer.

On the road, it'll have similar benefits. Would be handy not having to say "what the hell is the speed limit here?". Getting notified of road repairs that have been done recently. Of course this is massively dependent on road crews plugging in the info but could easily be automated based on job entry. Then you would just have a timed limit after the job was completed to when the notification stops, like, 2 weeks. No more charging around a corner and coming across new seal that hasn't been swept. Awesome potential.

It's imperative to keep the interface and the functions to a minimum.

Bike
    Yamaha XV250
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ckai View Post
    Being a younger tech freak, this looks pretty cool. $180k does seem crazy low though. I wonder if they have other backers. I noticed the image that Mike put up as well and it looked pretty small.

On the road, it'll have similar benefits. Would be handy not having to say "what the hell is the speed limit here?". Getting notified of road repairs that have been done recently. Of course this is massively dependent on road crews plugging in the info but could easily be automated based on job entry. Then you would just have a timed limit after the job was completed to when the notification stops, like, 2 weeks. No more charging around a corner and coming across new seal that hasn't been swept. Awesome potential.

It's imperative to keep the interface and the functions to a minimum.
    Or you could learn to read the road and ride to the conditions.
    " Rule books are for the Guidance of the Wise, and the Obedience of Fools"

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Quote Originally Posted by wysper View Post
    That's the point of kickstarter isn't it? Get people to help fund a product to market.
    The incentive to 'investors' being you get something first or slightly cheaper.
    Exactly, though another incentive is to see it actually get done. One currently breaking a lot of crowd funding records is Star Citizen (PC game), after raising 18mil on kickstarter. Big gaming companies have gone off the idea of PC only games, turns out gamers haven't though...

Quote Originally Posted by Tigadee View Post
    How many people get killed crossing the road while texting? May likely increase thanks to Google glass...
    I dunno, google glass display is transparent, so you should get more warning than if you're staring down at a screen.
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    Sonic the Second (II)
    Quote Originally Posted by awa355 View Post
    Or you could learn to read the road and ride to the conditions.
    Dunno about you, but sometimes my sight doesn't penetrate enough through blind corners. I think Superman has that patent.

You saying you wouldn't be happy with a little more warning with some things? Even a smige? Not once have to ever been on the road and thought, "it would have been nice to know about that sooner"? Never ever? Not once? huh crazy.

There are certain things, in the interests of "safety", that I believe are making us lazy and dependent as motorists. But, unfortunately, a lot of them are needed for some drivers and if it means I'm not going to get side swiped or rear ended from an inattentive driver because their car has lane departure warnings or collusion avoidance I say bring that shit on and protect me from the reckless.

Thread Information