Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Lane splitting appears to be being policed in Wellington

Bike
    94 Suzuki RF900
    I split every day in Auckland and go past police cars and police bikes with zero issues, heck even the police bikes up here split (they check for texting drivers sometimes) and if you split and pull up behind them they move over to let you past.

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    Quote Originally Posted by bounce View Post
    haven't got it. His machine broke so it will be in the post. He was saying undertaking at the time though.
    Sorry for you Bounce, I've been splitting lanes for 50 years !
    God there's some sad fucks in the job nowdays.
    Sorry for the proper Policemen too.
    I'm betting he probably wears his uniform to bed ?

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jetboy View Post
    I split every day in Auckland and go past police cars and police bikes with zero issues, heck even the police bikes up here split (they check for texting drivers sometimes) and if you split and pull up behind them they move over to let you past.
    Even had one move over when everyone was gridlocked outside the District Court, and I used the oncoming to get past some cars to get round into an access road. That was nice
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Your mom
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post
    It's scorching hot this week, anyone stuck in a cage including a cop will be septic about someone escaping the heat and traffic jam.
    If the weather really is that hot, then a motorbike is one of the worst ways to get around. Ever tried being in hot weather wearing full protective riding gear at slow speeds? Being in an air conditioned car is much nicer. So it's not about "escaping" the heat, it's about magnifying the heat, several times.

Bike
    Wots I gots.
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOKEU View Post
    If the weather really is that hot, then a motorbike is one of the worst ways to get around. Ever tried being in hot weather wearing full protective riding gear at slow speeds? Being in an air conditioned car is much nicer. So it's not about "escaping" the heat, it's about magnifying the heat, several times.
    Yeah this be true. I still prefer the freedom of a bike so I usually dump water down the back / front of my mesh jacket and that works very well, as it evaporates. Done days' riding in the US deserts this way and find it cheap and effective.

Bike
    Sold
    Sorry to hear about the misfortune - I'm always a bit cautious about splitting as there's not a lot of practice required in Coromandel . My sole experience of splitting in Wellington was a really positive one. A few years back, I was riding down the Kapiti coast to catch the ferry and the morning traffic was diabolical. I slowly caught up to a cop bike but was nervous about passing him so just sat behind him. When we stopped at a roundabout, he looked round and gave a "follow me" signal then took off at a goodly rate of knots with me in his wake. Towed me all the way through to the Gorge before he waved and turned off - awesome experience!

Bike
    '03 FXD
    Quote Originally Posted by MD View Post
    Bad luck buddy. That's bad news to hear since I'm using the bike a fair bit these days to get through the grid lock.

Was it that old lanky git on the cop bike? He hates motorcycles full stop and even more so black Kawasakis. He ticketed me twice when I had the black 636, not for lane splitting though. Paint your bike pink and he wont notice you. Other than that I don't think you will win this argument.

Before others say serves you right, Bounce is one of the sensible splitters that try not to draw attention to themselves and upset car drivers.
    The wanker hates red ducatis too!
    Never too old to Rock n Roll.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I've got miserly tourettes and I don't give a fuck.

Bike
    '03 FXD
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    Sorry to hear about the misfortune - I'm always a bit cautious about splitting as there's not a lot of practice required in Coromandel . My sole experience of splitting in Wellington was a really positive one. A few years back, I was riding down the Kapiti coast to catch the ferry and the morning traffic was diabolical. I slowly caught up to a cop bike but was nervous about passing him so just sat behind him. When we stopped at a roundabout, he looked round and gave a "follow me" signal then took off at a goodly rate of knots with me in his wake. Towed me all the way through to the Gorge before he waved and turned off - awesome experience!
    That was probably the old bike cop.He led a group of 5 bikes (me included) splitting through the traffic exactly where the OP was pulled up one morning.A genuine good cunt.
    Never too old to Rock n Roll.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I've got miserly tourettes and I don't give a fuck.

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOKEU View Post
    Kathmandu do water-absorbing gel-filled scarfs that you tie around your neck. Does a brilliant job of keeping blood circulating through your head cool. Cotton can absorb many times its own weight in water so soaking a cotton tee and then putting your jacket on over the top can keep you cool for hours.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    1991 Kawasaki ZXR400L1
    Quote Originally Posted by bounce View Post
    Has anybody had success contesting that they were inside the cats-eyes and thus overtaking the center lane as opposed to undertaking the right hand lane?
    You can try but everyone that lanes splits knows that it's near impossible to stay on the left side of the cats eyes the ENTIRE time (remember - your entire bike and body, not just the tyres) and I dare say you already know this. If it's more a matter of "Fuck you, I've been doing this every day without getting pinged so I'm gonna bullshit my way out of it" then it's entirely up to you whether you have the spare time to go to court, present your compelling argument of how you were able to do this and test the stupidity of the judge. However you can be assured that the cops Summary of the facts will clearly state you didn't....numerous times.....over a lengthy period of observation.

TLDR: No, don't bother wasting your time, just pay the ticket. Next time, keep a better eye out for cops so you can play it extra safe when you see them.

Bike
    2005 Z750S
    Does anyone have any statistics on lane-splitting accidents?
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    Does anyone have any statistics on lane-splitting accidents?
    A friend had one late last year and it is honestly the only time I've heard of a bike being written off after a lanesplitting incident.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoon View Post
    You can try but everyone that lanes splits knows that it's near impossible to stay on the left side of the cats eyes the ENTIRE time (remember - your entire bike and body, not just the tyres) and I dare say you already know this. If it's more a matter of "Fuck you, I've been doing this every day without getting pinged so I'm gonna bullshit my way out of it" then it's entirely up to you whether you have the spare time to go to court, present your compelling argument of how you were able to do this and test the stupidity of the judge. However you can be assured that the cops Summary of the facts will clearly state you didn't....numerous times.....over a lengthy period of observation.

TLDR: No, don't bother wasting your time, just pay the ticket. Next time, keep a better eye out for cops so you can play it extra safe when you see them.
    You might have some luck trying the following arguements:

Ask the cop to present video or other objective evidence to back up his statements (the arguement would go along the lines of "if this was a speeding fine, there would be a radar reading to back up the statement, but in this instance there isn't anything objective to backup his claims")

you can also try and spin the arguement that from the Cop's position in the traffic he would not have had a sufficient visibility to accurately determine your position relative to the Cats Eyes - bonus points for inferring the only way he would be able to do so would be by being directly behind you - ie straddling 2 lanes.

but as above - going to court is risky - but you may be able to 'win' by muddying the water (ie claiming that the cop has not met the burden of proof required to issue and infringement)
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

Bike
    None :(
    Quote Originally Posted by roogazza View Post
    ...God there's some sad fucks in the job nowdays...I'm betting he probably wears his uniform to bed ?
    And a special relationship with the taser, has the comm on to fall asleep too and talks to the neighbours with arms crossed.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemonLord View Post
    going to court is risky - but you may be able to 'win' by muddying the water (ie claiming that the cop has not met the burden of proof required to issue and infringement)
    In court the Cop says to the Judge ... I saw him do it. Judge says ... Requirements for burden of proof fulfilled ... I find him guilty of the offense. Next case please ...

I'm guessing the OP wont want to take it to court to prove me wrong ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Thread Information