Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: North Island 1,600 -- 11 & 12 October 2014

Bike
    2010 Honda ST1300
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by awa355 View Post
    I have sent in an online entry for this years 1000k cruise. I also sent a 2nd email via the website asking about the timeframe over which the 1k cruise is run. .........
    Quote Originally Posted by insomnia01 View Post
    most will complete the C1KC in @ 12-13hrs although some have taken slightly longer to complete the loop, generally speaking if you stick to the speed limit & keep an eye on your breaks, re-fuelling times etc anywhere from 12-14hrs is the norm..........
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    Start time on previous runs was 0630-0700 from memory?
    Yep, yep, yep, yep, yep.

Hitcher receives the correspondence and he is away at the moment so might be a delay on the response from the website approach.

11-15hrs is probably the window, but majority are in within 14hrs. Numbers will determine how the Northern start is run but they would normally get away at 0630. We try to keep the 1KC routes fairly flowy and some riders stop for big feeds, but a steady pace with minimal stops should achieve 13hours without too much stress.
    How a man wins shows much of his character....How he loses shows all of it!!"
    Knute Rockne

Bike
    he's back !!!
    I would be happy enough just to finish the run this year the Honda has unfinished business with the C1KC so the Kawasaki can stay in the garage for this one
    I Used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass

Bike
    Yamaha XV250
    Blog Entries

2015 Iron Butt Reports.

A link to some daily ride reports from this year's Iron Butt ride. I have only read 'Day -1' so far but should be a good read. Read the -1, -2, -3 day reports first. These lead up to the start of the ride. The -3 day report gives a good overview of what the rally entails.

http://www.ironbuttrally.com/IBR/2015.cfm
    " Rule books are for the Guidance of the Wise, and the Obedience of Fools"

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher View Post
    What's to consider? Fill out an online form or download one from www.distanceriders.org.nz and make it happen!
    Consider this ...

1600 km's ... actually 1635 km's (1000 miles) is a long way. Some have never done that distance before (especially in a 24 hour period) ... and may crash due to their own inabilities. Some may crash due a known (or unknown) medical condition.

It's THEIR life ... (not your's) ... on the line.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Yamaha MT
    Blog Entries
    sounds like a load of fun, however am I right in understanding a full license is required. ie no restricted license riders aloud?

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RAYDEO View Post
    sounds like a load of fun, however am I right in understanding a full license is required. ie no restricted license riders aloud?
    Well you need to ride overnight, so restricted riders having a curfew of 10pm...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Yamaha MT
    Blog Entries
    good point, damn, should have gone for my full...

Bike
    None any more
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    Consider this ...

1600 km's ... actually 1635 km's (1000 miles) is a long way. Some have never done that distance before (especially in a 24 hour period) ... and may crash due to their own inabilities. Some may crash due a known (or unknown) medical condition.

It's THEIR life ... (not your's) ... on the line.
    1. 1,000 miles is 1,609.34km.
    2. NZ Distance Riders highly recommended that riders condition themselves and their machines before riding these sorts of distances in a set time period. A section of www.distanceriders.org.nz is devoted to this important matter.
    3. Distance riders are a certain breed of people. That breed of people is attracted to participating in these sorts of events. Riders partial to one-piece leathers and either sports bikes or scooters generally prefer to stay at home and watch the Kardashians.
    4. Crashing due to known or unknown medical conditions can happen anywhere at any time. Distance riding is unlikely to exacerbate any such propensity. And my life has been on the line in circumstances such as you describe. However riders will make their own assessments of their riding abilities and the risks inherent in riding at least 1,609.34km in a 24-hour period.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    Concours 14, S10
    Entry in your inbox...

Thread Information