Thread: Considering buying an 1989 FZR250R. What should I know about these machines?

Bike
    1998 Suzuki Gsxr 600 SRAD

Considering buying an 1989 FZR250R. What should I know about these machines?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=694193937 i am considering buying this bike
    anyone had any experience with these bikes? how do they compare with other similar models CBR250RR's ZXR250's etc.
    are there any common problems i should know about, what are parts availability like in NZ?
    what should i look for when test riding it???????
    any info appreciated cheers.

Bike
    Your mom
    They're not as popular as the CBR250R(R), as they're just not as good in general. The Honda is known to be more reliable as well. Keep in mind these are old bikes and will likely cost a fair bit to maintain properly as it's probably years over due for a full service. The FZR250 tends to have problematic carbs as well. Personally if I were to buy a 20+ year old 4 cylinder 250, it would have to be a CBR250. As for parts availability, the Yamaha dealers will charge you a king's ransom for many things, and don't expect general bike parts stores to stock anything other than the basics like oil filters and brake pads. For the rest, there's eBay.

Bike
    '09 Bandit 1250s
    I owned one. Wouldn't touch one again. Went to a yammy shop, they refused to work on its engine. No parts available. Not all that good handling. Decent power for a lil 250 though

Bike
    1998 Suzuki Gsxr 600 SRAD
    have decided against it now, all im hearing is negative stuff about them all over the internet lol

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by inazuma1200 View Post
    have decided against it now, all im hearing is negative stuff about them all over the internet lol
    Wise decision ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    FZR,Jog,GZ maybe CBR?
    Having owned an FZR for over a year, I don't agree with most of this. Yes, the CBR250 is a fantastic bike, it revs higher and feels smoother. Parts are far easier to get for them, hell there's even heaps of aftermarket gear. But stuff paying the CBR $3000+ premium on a 26 year old bike.

What exactly goes wrong with the carbs in FZR's? Yeah, my one I had to pull them apart and clean them. Its to be expected after a while. Had to get them balanced too. It's run great ever since. Always started. The times I did break down was due to carbs being out of sync.

My exup valve works perfect. No fuel pump problems either ( when I got it I didn't know about the fuel tap).

I service and look after it, although cosmetically right now my bike is pretty rough working on that though. I don't think they are the lemon they are made out to be. Or did I get lucky and get a good running bike?

ANY old 4 cylinder bike is going to need some form of maintenance/work sometime in the future. Shit wears out. Its to be expected.

Bike
    zxr400 91
    I agree with fzr250 , these bikes are fine yes there is some things to look out for but just get one that has been well looked after (don't get a shitter) .Things that are prone to rust -inside of tank , forks and rear shock shaft , but that's pretty easy to check when viewing the bike , other things that do wear out on these are fuel pumps (which is common on most old bikes) and carb inlet rubbers perishing (look for cracks on these) .
    So my advice give it a good going over when buying it ,try and get one around 30000kms (if you can)
    And yes cbr250 is an excellent bike but in my opinion way over priced

Thread Information