Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Vtr1000?

Bike
    Honda vfr 750 fn 1992 x2 90red
    Blog Entries

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    Owners of VTR1000s, what do you think about them? Ive taken a liking to them and thinking about one in the future. I know there economy is a bad point. I would be after the later model of which there are plenty around. Yes they are old tech now but look to be a fun bike to own.
    I always Loved look the engine and the sound , think big twins are tiny bit not best in slow going but thats not a real issue u like the bikes.

from what i have read cam chains in higher kms models but somone that has had one, be better to give advice.

Bike
    2011 Kawasaki ZX-14 "Monster"
    That was the main question I had when buying one:
    Me: How is the cam chain tensioner.
    Them: It was replaced with a manual cam chain tensioner by the previous owner
    Me: Sold
    There's nothing more exhilarating than pointing out the shortcomings of others, is there? -Clerks

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroIndex View Post
    That was the main question I had when buying one:
    Me: How is the cam chain tensioner.
    Them: It was replaced with a manual cam chain tensioner by the previous owner
    Me: Sold
    Stuff like that doesnt bother me as I can replace such things. Im about to do one on the Hornet. More thinking is it slower than what I have? Dont mind only a little faster but dont want slower.

Bike
    2011 Kawasaki ZX-14 "Monster"
    Stuff like that doesnt bother me as I can replace such things. Im about to do one on the Hornet. More thinking is it slower than what I have? Dont mind only a little faster but dont want slower.
    Having power low down is quite a different experience to an inline 4... so it can be quite deceptive. If you can, I'd recommend taking a SV or VTR for a test drive.
    There's nothing more exhilarating than pointing out the shortcomings of others, is there? -Clerks

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroIndex View Post
    Having power low down is quite a different experience to an inline 4... so it can be quite deceptive. If you can, I'd recommend taking a SV or VTR for a test drive.
    Ive taken one out with a stage 1 jet kit and Jardine pipes. Bottom end was not far off the Hornet but the top felt flat in comparison. But to me it felt fluffy at higher revs so had wondered if the jetting was off. A mate is going to let me ride his SV1000, will be interesting to see the difference.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Huh, MCN has the top speed difference between my Hornet and the VTR as 14kph in the VTRs favor but the Hornet is quicker over the 1/4 mile by .7 of a second. VTR has 97hp to the Hornets 110hp. They have the same torque. The VTR is 1 kg lighter than the Hornet.

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Huh, MCN has the top speed difference between my Hornet and the VTR as 14kph in the VTRs favor but the Hornet is quicker over the 1/4 mile by .7 of a second. VTR has 97hp to the Hornets 110hp. They have the same torque. The VTR is 1 kg lighter than the Hornet.
    VTRs be a bit more slippery than hornets; SP2s be as slippery as a greased eel down a sewerage pipe after curry night.
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    VTRs be a bit more slippery than hornets; SP2s be as slippery as a greased eel down a sewerage pipe after curry night.
    Thats why the top speed is better.

Bike
    Not many... If any...
    Yep have had a VTR. Bought one new quite a few years back. Only mod was the cans. As you say, the fuel economy was a pain but still a nice fun bike to own. Super easy to get that front up on too which was always a laugh. Now that I am slightly older and 4 kids later, comfort and practicality have now come to the fore. I have a VFR800 which I have done a modification on the factory cans to get some of that V4 sound out. Don't discard the VFR, especially if you are considering doing some longer rides. It only has slightly less hp and torque than the VTR but kicks it in comfort, practicality and I think aesthetically its a little more pleasing to the eye. Soundwise, with the exhaust mod done (otherwise it sounds like a fucken sewing machine) it sounds mean as, especially over 7200rpm when the alternative vtec system is activated. Sales pitch rant over...

Now before the haters get going.... this is my opinion only and from experience its best not to get tunnel vision when looking for a new ride... All the best in your decision making.

Geoff.

Bike
    2021 KTM 690 SMC R
    I had one for a while and I really liked it. It's an under-appreciated gem, never let me down.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wingnut View Post
    Yep have had a VTR. Bought one new quite a few years back. Only mod was the cans. As you say, the fuel economy was a pain but still a nice fun bike to own. Super easy to get that front up on too which was always a laugh. Now that I am slightly older and 4 kids later, comfort and practicality have now come to the fore. I have a VFR800 which I have done a modification on the factory cans to get some of that V4 sound out. Don't discard the VFR, especially if you are considering doing some longer rides. It only has slightly less hp and torque than the VTR but kicks it in comfort, practicality and I think aesthetically its a little more pleasing to the eye. Soundwise, with the exhaust mod done (otherwise it sounds like a fucken sewing machine) it sounds mean as, especially over 7200rpm when the alternative vtec system is activated. Sales pitch rant over...

Now before the haters get going.... this is my opinion only and from experience its best not to get tunnel vision when looking for a new ride... All the best in your decision making.

Geoff.
    Me mate just got one with aftermarket pipes, Staintune p'rhaps? Sounds the mutts without being anti social & is a joy to ride. That VVT is a real ace up the sleeve, loved the suspenders & brakes, too. The change in engine note as you approach 7 grand is addictive, goes from pipe & slippers to P pipe & sneakers. Beautifully designed as well.
    But. It's not a twin. No thump.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Not many... If any...
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    Me mate just got one with aftermarket pipes, Staintune p'rhaps? Sounds the mutts without being anti social & is a joy to ride. That VVT is a real ace up the sleeve, loved the suspenders & brakes, too. The change in engine note as you approach 7 grand is addictive, goes from pipe & slippers to P pipe & sneakers. Beautifully designed as well.
    But. It's not a twin. No thump.
    No thump agreed. But it does have its own beasty rhythm and roar http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zs5CZbas6XQ

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    No thump agreed. But it does have its own beasty rhythm and roar http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zs5CZbas6XQ
    They have never really been on my radar. Dont they have linked brakes? But from the MCN report them seem a bit heavy for the power?

Bike
    Blog Entries

Smile

Agreed Just from reading and looking at three on my bucket list from 90,s vfr 750 cbr 900 rr vtr 1000 i have just manged to own two of them

hay its only 14 years later ;-) That and mx5 i never drove before owned it and think safe to say from what i read you wont be dispoited in any of these trio.

That said very very diffrent i pick the vfr 750-800 800 relastically as 750 getting bit old . as best all round though good on fuel smooth so smooth

Got that charcter in the engine though . you think was so smoth it was boring it isint . only thing cbr 900 got over it is way stronger bottom end of idle.

But its tractor in compassion little rough much lighter easier to flick for sure but i be just quick on vfr 750. over a distance .

Bike
    Blog Entries

Smile

They have never really been on my radar. Dont they have linked brakes? But from the MCN report them seem a bit heavy for the power?
    The vfr 800 has linked brakes well later models do dont know about the first years think only had one gen f vfr 800s they use the vtr 1000 frame

beacuse went to side mouted rads which look cool.Honestly i looked wieght of it before got mine brought dmaged of tm . and going what have i done.

last well first big bike broght was cb 750 f integra seen other day too the same nike still going strong.never liked it was boring and heavy.

so when first rode the vfr after wanting to fix it for few months first ride around car park cause wasint road egal. oh f@## been 10 years since ridden a bike at all.

Road it slow on walking track got confidence . got wof rego rode it jusr around the sreets wow what a bike awsome easy to handle.

Know its so balnaced see why poilce use the st 1300s . i move my butt around of the seat little just for fun. feels like u can feel back tire working.

Think more to illusion of the power pulses of the engine got that half beat inbetween 180 degree firing and all . nice.

Sure i dont fling it over at last minute not really that kind of bike . and am to old for that these days didnt even do that on my nephews kawaski 250 nija.

You get on the cbr 900rr because the low clip ons and fact u wraped around this tiny bike with big fat tank . your arms sort wraped around it hehe

So think it affects way you ride , sort say huh is that all u got , and not even working yet. 4000 it starting to 6000 all am taking it too.on the road.

When get of it ,and the only part find tiring is the seat its fine till get of it and then like shit.. I get off it onto vfr and think wow this old boys machine.

Its like sitting in your lazy boy chair seems so smotth u wonder if engine working or seems less bottom end cause so smooth.

But like it best if had sell one it be one to stay even though looks terrbile at present and cbr looks fine

And am 6,1 so cbr should be torture rack and its not . am 51 and enjoyed tucking elbows onto my knees once lol thought roger freeth (super frog)

Rekon vtr 1000 fit inbetween those two in comfort heard sheepskin go for the seat, rekon need a bio mag on mine hehe

engine wise with those huge carbs and big pistons rekon vtr 1000 be more like the cbr 900 rr but with the sound more like vfour and lovley twin sound.

cbr 9 isint boring engine sound its got this booming sound thinking gas tank being light weight and intake sound at 4000rpm

I love its booming inline sound and its got standred muffler which i like aslo vfr is to lound about 7 forget it hurts my ears it screams

got to get new muffler really ruins it like ya i like to go over that but no thanks its going through my head.

The same test road i did the same speed on both and slowed to same speed for sharp corner.

Thread Information