Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vtr1000?

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR

Vtr1000?

Owners of VTR1000s, what do you think about them? Ive taken a liking to them and thinking about one in the future. I know there economy is a bad point. I would be after the later model of which there are plenty around. Yes they are old tech now but look to be a fun bike to own.

Bike
    02 Ducati ST4s
    I had an 02 model... I enjoyed it, it was a fun bike... (mine wasn't quite standard though and was a bit more peaky than the standard VTR1000) It is also a very forgiving bike as well...

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by NighthawkNZ View Post
    I had an 02 model... I enjoyed it, it was a fun bike... (mine wasn't quite standard though and was a bit more peaky than the standard VTR1000) It is also a very forgiving bike as well...
    What had been done to it?

Bike
    NC30s
    Very comfortable. Bit of a different feeling coming from a big inline four though.. its rumbly and you don't really feel the speed coming on. Your Hornet probably lets you know when you're accelerating. The VTR.. well it kinda just doesn't, maybe due to the flat torque curve? It starts making power down low and doesn't give you any surprises higher up in the rev range.

Bike
    GL1800
    Bike of the Year when they came out - very capable - there's a nice yellow one on Tard Me atm
    "If you haven't grown up by the time you turn 50, you don't have to!"

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Hmmm, the thinking mans Tuono. Or Ducati. Been on my garage list for ages. IIR they never quite had the visceral charm of there Italian competitors but compensated with reliability, comfort & longevity.
    I love riding twins.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    2011 Kawasaki ZX-14 "Monster"
    I bought one just over a month ago (03 model), and I'm absolutely loving it. It definitely is thirsty on gas, but you don't buy a bike with 48mm carbs to save the planet

The biggest bike I've owned previously (5 years ago) was a 87 Yamaha FZR400, and I have to say, this thing is just so much better in every way. Reasonably comfy (although if it's extended straights, you'll want to occasionally stretch your legs / stand up on the pegs). Just put a double bubble (chinese knockoff) on it, and it has definitely moved a good amount of air off my face.

When I was originally looking for a new bike, I was considering the SV650/1000, but I'm glad I went the Honda route (and it was a bunch cheaper too).

I still haven't redlined it in any gear, and if you're feeling a bit grown up (read: not a speed freak), it will really allow you to enjoy the road. 3rd gear is amazing on all but the twistiest of roads.

There's nothing more exhilarating than pointing out the shortcomings of others, is there? -Clerks

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroIndex View Post
    I bought one just over a month ago (03 model), and I'm absolutely loving it. It definitely is thirsty on gas, but you don't buy a bike with 48mm carbs to save the planet

The biggest bike I've owned previously (5 years ago) was a 87 Yamaha FZR400, and I have to say, this thing is just so much better in every way. Reasonably comfy (although if it's extended straights, you'll want to occasionally stretch your legs / stand up on the pegs). Just put a double bubble (chinese knockoff) on it, and it has definitely moved a good amount of air off my face.

When I was originally looking for a new bike, I was considering the SV650/1000, but I'm glad I went the Honda route (and it was a bunch cheaper too).

I still haven't redlined it in any gear, and if you're feeling a bit grown up (read: not a speed freak), it will really allow you to enjoy the road. 3rd gear is amazing on all but the twistiest of roads.
    Well I do like to punt it along a bit. The one I road didnt have more power than the Hornet on the butt dyno it just delivered it in a different way.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    I love riding twins.
    Thats something on my bucket list. But were talking about motorcycles.

Bike
    2007 Suzuki SV1000s
    I was considering one before I got my SV. Took a mates one out for a blast and liked it. Similar power to a stock SV and same kind of power delivery. After some mods the SV is definitely the quicker of the two, but the VTR is easier to wheelie ( shorter wheel base ).

Both have very basic suspension but they are a budget bike. The VTR is known to have cam chain issues, so make sure to google that before buying.

Bike
    2021 Kawasaki ZH2
    I currently have a Firestorm I use to commute to work and back daily. (this is my second one - Had one years ago which I sold)
    In short... they are a LOT of fun... they want to wheelie (a lot), they very reliable and robust, you will see loads of them around advertised with 100 000+ KMs done.
    They are comfy, and there is always useable power in the rev range thanks to that grunty V-twin motor. Two open pipes are a must for these bikes. They sound awesome and gives you goosebumps just on the pure sound of it. I have two aluminum Microns fitted, and I know from past experience that fitting carbon fiber cans are a no-no... the pulses from those two bucket pistons will blow those canisters apart eventually.

They are not perfect though... the suspension as mentioned above, is very soft, especially the front-end. Its always been a known issue on them, and aftermarket springs / re-valving does wonders to them. I would like to still fit an Ohlins rear to my VTR one-day if I still have it. I have seen one or two rear's floating on trademe in the last few months.
    But I suppose the bike is built to be more of a commuting / traffic warrior, rather than a track bike, so the suspension is soft for a reason. Its one of those bikes that "grows" onto you, and you end up loving it. The day you sell it, you miss em big time.

I have seen some people advertising the manual cam chain tensioners, but to be honest, I have never experienced or spoke to a fellow VTR owner that suffered from head damage due to the failing cam-chain tensioner mentioned earlier. Doesn't mean it never happens, but I wouldn't stress over it too much. I still use mine with the OEM factory one, but then again, mine has very low mileage.

If you are looking at getting one, try and get one of the later models with the upgraded changes done to them... that would be the bigger fuel tank, HISS ignition system with chipped keys, refined carburation, and digital clocks. Last but not least, if you manage to find one and its fitted with "Moriwaki" aftermarket stuff... That stuff is as rare as Hens teeth. Its pretty much on par with Honda HRC stuff, if not better... the Moriwaki ZERO titanium systems are built of the highest quality, and if you see what they cost in Japan... you would have to sell your first born to buy them.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    Owners of VTR1000s, what do you think about them? Ive taken a liking to them and thinking about one in the future. I know there economy is a bad point. I would be after the later model of which there are plenty around. Yes they are old tech now but look to be a fun bike to own.
    By later model you mean the SP-2?

I think I would go for an SP-1 personally: in fact if I had $13k lying around I would buy this one:

http://www.superiormotorcycles.co.nz/pages/7/bikes.htm
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    Custom Nifty-Fiity. SR71

I had a 1998 one for about 18 months.

Then a close encounter with wildlife saw me throw it down Highway 22. Thoroughly enjoyable, reliable and while it's not going to do a sub 11 second quarter, you'll get to 220+ quick enough to know it's not a Bandit. As mentioned the suspension is a bit basic and on the soft side, but unless you're really fanging it I don't think it's that big a deal. You can ride it all day and not feel crunchy afterward. The cam chain tensioner needs replacing every 40-50000 kms but it's not an expensive exercise. I would have got another one but just wanted to try something else. If I could get a low milage, late model one at a good price, I'd seriously consider another one. Great fun, awesome rumble and something different from an inline four
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    i just slammed my cock in the car door. Im going to complain to holden, as they didnt put a sign on the door advising me to either wear pants, or avoid slamming it on my penis.
    Fucksake. Hang yourself.

Bike
    2012 Victory Vegas Zach Ness

Thumbs up

Yeah I'm on my 2nd VTR1000F. Both have had after-market pipes. Current one has the larger tank, fuel gauge & chipped key start. Love the bike. You wouldn't be disappointed.

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Site search function is your friend.
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Thread Information