Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Motorists swerving at bikes

Bike
    Yamaha XV250
    Blog Entries
    That clip came from a 13 minute video on motorcycle crashes. Almost without exception, in every case the rider was at fault. Not one crash displayed any attempt at defensive riding. Most crashes were filmed in Asia or Eastern Europe. Whether that has any bearing on the matter, I dont know. The amount of idiots riding through intersections at high speed, or not watching the vehicle ahead was staggering.
    " Rule books are for the Guidance of the Wise, and the Obedience of Fools"

Bike
    CB1300
    Had a Mercedes swerve at me as I filtered past this morning. Required a full lock dodge to the opposite side of lane 2 followed by a dodge back once I was past the Mercedes. Driver thought it was pretty funny too. Until he realised he almost hit the truck i was passing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
    2001 Red, White, Blue FireBlade
    had some fat miserable 40-something woman shout and scream at me in the lane to the left of me on my 'Blade.
    When it came to our green going on the motorway she literally tried to swerve right into me.

Gave her the finger and screamed off for the trouble.
    scary stuff.

Bike
    aprilia Tuono
    I just don't understand this behaviour. It seems completely illogical to me. Has anyone experienced this outside of NZ? i never came across it in the UK, Ireland or France.
    "For a moment, nothing happened. Then, after a second or so, nothing continued to happen" Douglas Adams (1952-2001) - not riding a TUONO then!

Bike

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by yevjenko View Post
    I just don't understand this behaviour. It seems completely illogical to me. Has anyone experienced this outside of NZ? i never came across it in the UK, Ireland or France.
    I had it in the UK, was on a bright orange CBR600RR (I miss you tammy!) and people would try and push you off the road, open doors on you and generally shout abuse.
    Typically from BMW drivers.

Also, boy racers - if you beat them off the line they'll typically drive up your bum and I've had a fair few rear tyre to bumper contacts here and there. Everyone is in a damn rush in the UK. Apart from Wales.

Over here, I've not found myself in that situation much.

Over in mainland europe, France, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Italy people respect your vehicle a lot more and therefore people keep a reasonable distance, I've been to all of em. Italy was NUTS, if you're not breaking the speed limit then you will probably get stopped by the cops.
    The best drivers I've ever ridden with were in France - they're quick but very careful and NEVER threaten another driver/rider.

Bike
    72 Kawasaki A7, 05 Kawasaki W650
    Quote Originally Posted by yevjenko View Post
    I'm not convinced it's happening very widely here either. I'm pretty sure 95% of cases reported by people here are honest mistakes by bad drivers being blown out of proportion.

Bike
    500EXC
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Gayner View Post
    I'm not convinced it's happening very widely here either. I'm pretty sure 95% of cases reported by people here are honest mistakes by bad drivers being blown out of proportion.
    Bullshit.
    95%....
    100% sure the pricks that swerved at me were doing it on purpose, grumpy old men looking right at me as they got the bird.
    Sticking to the back roads

Bike
    tru dat. Despite the fact a load of us have garishly coloured loud machines of awesome we're still not visible.
    Especially not reflected in the screen of a phone.

Bike
    CB1300
    I would have to say the most of the ones that stick in my mind enough to still care 3ms later are all ones where the driver and sometimes passenger as well were either making eye contact or had previously indicated they were aware I my presence.

Not scientific but I'd estimate:
    Probably close to 20% of total incidents they saw me and went anyway in an aggressive manner, about half o those are laughing about it with passenger.
    About another 20% are mobile, kindle, newspaper or other inappropriate distraction.
    About 50% would be slight intrusions I forgive before we have finished sorting ourselves out.
    1% are "massive save" caused by SMIDSY. Rest would be ones I get shaken up but I understand how they missed me.

I hate Auckland. I might still work here but at least I don't live here anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
    FE701
    Two incidents that come to mind since I started riding 8 years ago. Many cagers swerving my way when going in the same direction. No need to get pissed off with them. Just pass them, then give them a wave saying thank you.

1: Lane splitting to work, really jammed up traffic that morning. Was splitting and passing a dump truck slowly. Heard someone yelling obscenities, looked up and saw this dump truck driver going off his nut at me. Was funny.

2: Coming home from greenlane. Accident just before the bridge, major traffic jam. Splitting traffic like always. Then just ahead of me a passenger door opens and a male gets out and looks at me (not naming ethnicity). Sweet, I will just go in the other lane, no skin off my back. Just him looking like an idiot.

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Have had a couple - but most I think are people being dumbasses as opposed to deliberately swerving at me.

The most recent one was whilst filtering, and someone just casually moving over as I am almost right on top of them. Slowed down and tapped their wing mirror with my finger as a gesture of 'Look in your fucking mirrors next time you twat'
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

Bike
    red one & a blue one
    Zero... I'm usually behind or in front. Never beside a car long enough for them to swerve.... happy days :-)

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk
    Supersize Me

Bike
    CB1300
    Quote Originally Posted by mrchips View Post
    Zero... I'm usually behind or in front. Never beside a car long enough for them to swerve.... happy days :-)

Clearly not in Dorkland then.

Stupid phone / Tapatalk, apologies in advance.

Bike
    red one & a blue one
    There's usually a couple of nose to tails a week in wellywood, can be a bit dicey sometimes. I always say..... if in doubt, get the fuck out.

Supersize Me

Bike
    CB1300
    Quote Originally Posted by mrchips View Post
    There's usually a couple of nose to tails a week in wellywood, can be a bit dicey sometimes. I always say..... if in doubt, get the fuck out.

In dorks it is usually safer to be lane sitting than sitting in line waiting for your number to come up.

Stupid phone / Tapatalk, apologies in advance.

Thread Information