Thread: Rattling clutch 08 R1

Bike
    2008 Yamaha R1

Rattling clutch 08 R1

So on the way to work the other day something "didn't feel right", like a vibration that shouldn't have been there, but I couldn't put my finger on what. End of the day I left work and it all felt fine, until I got onto the motorway and up in the revs.
    Parked it up when I got home and on the weekend I checked the wheels to see if a bearing was stuffed, but all was good, so I started the bike up and all felt fine. So I put it in gear and ran it up to 6 -7 thousand revs and there was that vibration again. so I hooked it back into neutral and from the clutch came a nasty rattling sound.
    It seems worse with the clutch in, when the bike is in neutral.
    Next step is to remove the side cover and start digging.
    Any suggestions about what to look for? Any thing I need to do/not do when dismantling? I have read that I need to mark the outside pressure plate against the basket so it goes back the same.
    Also if I'm up for a new clutch, or just clutch kit, has anyone removed a stock unit from an 08 R1 when they have turned the bike into a race/track bike. If so maybe you want to sell said item?
    Has anyone got any advise on replacements. Bought an after-market one that worked well, or conversely dealt with some that might be best avoided?
    Any advise would be appreciated. If I can get home in time tonight I'll start unbolting stuff.
    If you can keep your head when all about you are loosing theirs.........it's quite possible you haven't grasped the situation.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Beg/borrow/steal/read a workshop manual for your model bike.

Most likely one (or more) of the clutch plates are now history.

or ... put the bike on the main/paddock stand.

Drain the oil out.

Remove the clutch cover.

Usually ... the problem will be obvious.

Remember that engine/gearbox and clutch share the same oil. So the longer you continue to ride the bike ... the more likely any broken bits (if any) from the clutch will find their way to there. Not always ending well ....

Google photos of what should be behind the clutch cover ... and what it should look like if a workshop manual is not available. (probably about $70 to buy)
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    its fucked. Ill give ya five buck for it.

Bike
    2008 Yamaha R1
    Ahhh Akzle, you are such a generous sole. Thanks mate!!
    So now the side is off and clutch plates out. One steel has a tiny blue spot, but other than that they are in good nick................... However I'm pretty sure the cam chain shouldn't be quite as loose as it is. Bit of a sinking feeling now, will look at service manual and see where the tensioner lives(or used to), as I'm guessing that is what's not right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you can keep your head when all about you are loosing theirs.........it's quite possible you haven't grasped the situation.

Bike
    Dont have one now
    Quote Originally Posted by SILVER SUZI View Post
    ..... However I'm pretty sure the cam chain shouldn't be quite as loose as it is. Bit of a sinking feeling now, will look at service manual and see where the tensioner lives(or used to), as I'm guessing that is what's not right.

I fuckin hate that feeling.....most often followed with spending money you don't have.

condolences

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Blue spot on a clutch steel, means it's warped normally.

Replace it, and you're away laughing.

Bike
    2008 Yamaha R1

Rattling clutch 08 R1

Took the bike to a Aden at Restorace. He took the clutch cover off and diagnosed the problem in less than a minute. Broken slipper clutch springs. No need to replace clutch plates, nothing wrong with them. Very accommodating mechanic, can't praise him enough. He even explained to me how the slipper clutch works!

Bike
    Your mom
    Took the bike to a Aden at Restorace. He took the clutch cover off and diagnosed the problem in less than a minute. Broken slipper clutch springs. No need to replace clutch plates, nothing wrong with them. Very accommodating mechanic, can't praise him enough. He even explained to me how the slipper clutch works!

How much did the job cost?

Bike
    2008 Yamaha R1
    He charges $85 an hour. Has allowed 1 hour for the work $35 each for the springs(there is three) $39 for a new centre nut. Can't remember what the new gasket is going to cost. Parts aren't here yet, but hopefully will come this week. He did tell me that it would take a couple of weeks to get the parts out of the states. I don't mind.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries

Get him to check the Cam chain tensioner too ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    2008 Yamaha R1
    Why the cam chain tensioner too, are they prone to fail?

Thread Information