Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: On road costs in NZ

Bike
    Dr650
    Mates, you are absolutely right saying that 125 cc and 250cc is not the best way to ride long distance, but we plan to ride our DR650 from Russia to Iceland and back, this is 13 000 km, then fly to Thailand buying touring bycicles and riding there for 3-6 months all around SEA, then visit your great country for 1,5 month.

I want small bike because while riding DR I need motocross boots, knee guards, chest and back guards and etc etc. We simply would not have money to buy all this staff in your country and buying big bike also. Then I need to sell it all together with two bikes before departure - it would be a nightmare, so we decided to take small bikes and buy only helmets and ride slow, but safe - we got 1,5 months for NZ I think it is enough. After cycling with own legs through SEA you will understand that Scorpio or even gn125 is a very "fast" bike

Bike
    Dr650
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    Ignore him ... (a suzuki rider)

People ride the roads of New Zealand on a bicycle ... and seem happy (going downhill) doing so.

Every kilometer you don't have to push or peddle it .. is a good one. Small motorcycles are better than bicycles.

BY FAR ...

Enjoy the ride ... an adventure to be had for sure ... just remember to post pic's and stay in touch here on KB. Beds/help/advise are here if you want it ...
    Big thanks for your hospitality - it is amazing! From my side if anybody here interested in travelling through such country as Russia do not hesitate to send me a pm.

Bike
    2017 Suzuki Dl1000
    Ignore him ... (a suzuki rider)

People ride the roads of New Zealand on a bicycle ... and seem happy (going downhill) doing so.

Every kilometer you don't have to push or peddle it .. is a good one. Small motorcycles are better than bicycles.

BY FAR ...

Enjoy the ride ... an adventure to be had for sure ... just remember to post pic's and stay in touch here on KB. Beds/help/advise are here if you want it ...
    Ignore him. He just turned a year older today and is grumpy in his old age.
    Time to ride

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jantar View Post
    Ignore him. He just turned a year older today and is grumpy in his old age.
    I circumnavigated the south island in my youth ... on a 100 cc Kawasaki trail (farm) bike. It's Hi-Low ratio gearbox made the back trails easy ...

Being a working holiday ... it took over a year to complete. Hills and mountain passes were not an issue. Plenty to see ... plenty to look at ... plenty of time to do so ... and nothing to compare it with ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Dr650
    I circumnavigated the south island in my youth ... on a 100 cc Kawasaki trail (farm) bike. It's Hi-Low ratio gearbox made the back trails easy ...

Being a working holiday ... it took over a year to complete. Hills and mountain passes were not an issue. Plenty to see ... plenty to look at ... plenty of time to do so ... and nothing to compare it with ...
    "Back trails" means off road riding? Does NZ got public off roads where you can ride from village to village or between small towns?

Like this
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	142a89222be9.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	66.4 KB 
ID:	295249  

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostin... View Post
    "Back trails" means off road riding? Does NZ got public off roads where you can ride from village to village or between small towns?

Like this
    There are a few "Summer only" type roads ... and a few "Dry weather" roads. (closed in winter)

And a few "Routes" (rather than roads). Often on private land. A few I did were on public land in areas that have now more restrictions on entry.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    2017 Suzuki Dl1000
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostin... View Post

Like this
    yes, And like this.

or this.

or even this.
    Time to ride

Bike
    Dr650
    Yeaaaah! It is great....

Thread Information