Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any gsx1400 riders out there

Bike
    ES XTZ
    Oh and nice pics of ya Beemer , i like..

Bike
    R100GSPD
    Prolly way out for me but how much for the hp2?

Bike
    Tyre Shredder
    Owned a K2 for about 1 year now. Super reliable , plenty fast and loads of torque. I bought it mainly for 2-up work and it does that with ease, but I've ended up making it my daily ride as well. Still have another bike for playing silly buggers in the weekends but even then sometimes the 14 gets the nod instead.

More character than a modern WC IL4, I dont notice how heavy it is, unless Ive spent a lot of time riding something else then jump on it - but it doesnt last long.
    Ciao Marco

Bike
    GSX1400

Gsx1400

Quote Originally Posted by BigOne View Post
    I have a GSX1400K7, for around 4 years now, and I've done nearly 60,000km on it. Several friends also have one, including a turboed one.
    Ive done lots of minor mods, mostly to improve handling and braking. I have not modified the engine at all, except to remove the pairs O2 system.

There is an excellent website in England called gsx1400.org, where I have done most of my research. You will find posts of mine under the same name.

My mods list goes:
    steel braided brake and clutch lines
    HH brake pads and petal discs
    SV1000 4 piston calipers, which are possibly better than the 6 piston originals (early SRAD gixxers also had these calipers)
    2 degrees of ignition advance, by slotted back-plate
    pollution control gizmo (pairs) removed
    10wt fork oil, slightly over filled
    oil cooler stone guard
    Rizoma fat bars with Zeta risers and Oberon bar end mirror
    fenda extenda
    power commader PC3 usb tuner, dynoed by Country Honda in Ashburton
    radar detector mount
    Kisan indicator auto cancel
    Oxford heated grips, essential in the south island
    in winter, I use DL1000 hand guards- I can wear summer gloves all year round. They look hoady, but improve winter riding immensely
    135dB air horns, hidden under the tank
    the rear shock mounts on the swing-arm are extended, slightly jacking the rear and improving ground clearance and handling
    Iv'e had the seat re-built, improving comfort and slide-forward
    and other little things.

By far the best tyres for this bike are the Michelin PR2s and PR3s, and tho a set of Pilot power 2CTs allowed some pretty extreme riding! they did not last well! I run 36PSI cold front and rear, or a bit less on a hot day.
    I have found that it's possible to make this bike handle very very well, despite poor reviews by testers when they first came out. It leaps out of corners like few sports bikes can, but can be a handful to stop when really nailing it. The brake improvements and slightly raised rear end help a lot here.
    Interestingly, the bike did not feel really run-in until past 40k. The gear box is now perfect, and I love it more and more. It's got a lot of chips on the front from chasing mates up and down hills and thru gorges, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

It's hard to make the big engine work hard, but I keep trying!

good luck with yours!
    Great looking 14 you have there,I like the mods you have done, I,m looking forward to getting the bike to handle as best as I can so suspension will be looked at along with the brakes,already looking for parts and prices and man does it go on and on ha ha. I have tried and tried to get validated on the UK site and cant even contact them!! I never receive a email from them regardless of how many I send?
    Changing the oil cooler for a Hel Perfomance one and ofcourse oil,brake and fuel lines for braided type. Yep I noticed the same with the seat, who did you use for the re-build?

Many thanks for the post.

Regards

Fiddy

Bike
    GSX1400 K7
    I used a local upholsterer for the seat, who has done good work for lots of others I know. He needs the bike, as well as the seat.

Bike
    GSX1400

Quote Originally Posted by Latte View Post
    Owned a K2 for about 1 year now. Super reliable , plenty fast and loads of torque. I bought it mainly for 2-up work and it does that with ease, but I've ended up making it my daily ride as well. Still have another bike for playing silly buggers in the weekends but even then sometimes the 14 gets the nod instead.

More character than a modern WC IL4, I dont notice how heavy it is, unless Ive spent a lot of time riding something else then jump on it - but it doesnt last long.
    Hey Latte
    Isn't it what we like to hear about a bike we have or about to get, yahoo LOL. Looking forward to getting it end of month can hardly wait

Cheers Fiddy

Bike
    GSX1400 K7
    the last bike I had (after a long break from bikes, with young kids and all) was a SV650 roundy. Eventually, it died on the Akaroas, like so many other bikes, and I was paid out. I always did look a bit big for that bike, being 6' 2" tall.
    But years before it was wrecked, I already coveted a 1400. After I got the insurance, Mark came around with his black 14, I went outside with the wife and asked her if my arse looked big on it. She said there was never any danger of that. So it came to pass, I tried a 2nd hand one, then bought a new one.

Bike
    Tyre Shredder
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddy40 View Post
    Hey Latte
    Isn't it what we like to hear about a bike we have or about to get, yahoo LOL. Looking forward to getting it end of month can hardly wait

Cheers Fiddy
    Yep - I bought mine sight unseen, never even ridden one before, but I knew I'd like it... it's exactly what I expected.

Quote Originally Posted by BigOne View Post
    the last bike I had (after a long break from bikes, with young kids and all) was a SV650 roundy. Eventually, it died on the Akaroas, like so many other bikes, and I was paid out. I always did look a bit big for that bike, being 6' 2" tall.
    But years before it was wrecked, I already coveted a 1400. After I got the insurance, Mark came around with his black 14, I went outside with the wife and asked her if my arse looked big on it. She said there was never any danger of that. So it came to pass, I tried a 2nd hand one, then bought a new one.
    Shame they stopped making it, would buy a new one if this one ever gives up or gets smashed.
    Ciao Marco

Bike
    GSX1400

Hi Latte
    Have you had any issues with this model? I just had a quote come in from Hel Performance for a oil cooler for the 1400 $481.00AU any idea what the OEM part costs? Not that I know I need one, just doing my homework.

Cheers Fiddy

Bike
    Tyre Shredder
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddy40 View Post
    Hi Latte
    Have you had any issues with this model? I just had a quote come in from Hel Performance for a oil cooler for the 1400 $481.00AU any idea what the OEM part costs? Not that I know I need one, just doing my homework.

Cheers Fiddy
    Ummm, little clunky from 1st to 2nd, but it's due for an oil change and chain tightened - and the fuel pump doesnt prime some mornings (flick the key a couple times and its golden) - never a problem cranking it over, just if the pumps not primed FI wont allow a start.

My bike is 60+ k's and gets abused a bit so dont be alarmed. Also ground clearance in corners - either soft shocks or an issue with throttle application hehe.

I wasn't aware of a need for a larger cooler - I had thought it was due to the oem being easy to hole , so a stone guard would be enough?
    Ciao Marco

Bike
    GSX1400

Ummm, little clunky from 1st to 2nd, but it's due for an oil change and chain tightened - and the fuel pump doesnt prime some mornings (flick the key a couple times and its golden) - never a problem cranking it over, just if the pumps not primed FI wont allow a start.

My bike is 60+ k's and gets abused a bit so dont be alarmed. Also ground clearance in corners - either soft shocks or an issue with throttle application hehe.

I wasn't aware of a need for a larger cooler - I had thought it was due to the oem being easy to hole , so a stone guard would be enough?
    I was reading that the oil coolers could crack at the flange where the hose fits, this is with all models.... sooooo thought I will do a bit more homework.....yes a guard is a must for any bike with cooler stuck out front. The rear shocks also appear to have their faults with leaking then being unable to adjust. Hey this is what I have read on www.gsx-1400.co.uk so obviously had to check it out. Will let you know when I get the old girl.

Cheers Fiddy

Bike
    GSX1400 K7
    its pretty unlikely you'll need an oil cooler. What if all the owners who never had an issue posted? Nah, only the tiny number who have an issue with something post about it.

And there are enough off wrecks to keep us going.
    the rear shock adjuster was an issue on 2002-3 models only, and it is repairable.
    the box can be clunky through 1st -2nd if you get the wrong oil. I had this with a top-end Castrol bike oil. Changed it for ordinary car-grade 15W40. Problem gone.
    clean the fuel filter at 25k, and keep the clutch switch clean and you'll never have any problems.

on the plus side, plugs last 50k, and you won't need to think about a valve clearance check or new clutch until 100k. Tell that to a Ducati owner!

Bike
    GSX1400

Any gsx1400 riders out there

I ride the mighty 1400 and would like to hook up with others that ride this bike...............there ya go, nice and simple..........

Thread Information