Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best sports tourer for medium-long distance all weather commute?

Bike
    Suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by The Reibz View Post
    Depends on how many burnouts I do. Got 10k out of this last one is
    10k doesn't sound too bad, for a bike like that. Was that 'cause you were being careful with it? If you listen to some people, the big sports bikes supposedly go through a tyre in about 5 minutes...

Bike
    '09 Bandit 1250s
    Quote Originally Posted by alexp36 View Post
    Thanks imdying

Interesting handle you got there by the way.

They really that good? I'm curious now. What have they got over a more conventional sport tourer type bike?

Longer travel suspension which means a more cushioned ride. Upright riding position so weight is evenly on your pegs and seat. The wind protection is great. The tank is a decent size and usually can manage 400+km per tank (depending on what year and how it's ridden).

If I didn't want to do track days and loved savage acceleration, I'd own one in a heart beat. You'd be hard pressed to find a better bike to comfortably tour NZ on a budget. So would be great commuting a decent distance.

Bike
    2006 Suzuki Hayabusa
    10k doesn't sound too bad, for a bike like that. Was that 'cause you were being careful with it? If you listen to some people, the big sports bikes supposedly go through a tyre in about 5 minutes...
    Had about 4 big burnouts on it. Depends what tires you put on them to be honest. I use my bike mainly for touring so track tires don't do it for me. A Busa is a great general around bike and they do come up cheap from time to time

Bike
    Suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    You're a little off track if "Style" is more important than the main task that needs to be performed well.

You need comfort, economy and reliability. Enough horsepower to power through a head wind ... but not enough to chew out rear tires faster than necessary. The bigger the bike .. the heavier it is .. and also this adds to faster tire wear. Low speeds in city traffic isn't fun on the bigger (sport) bikes. And unless your Home/Workplace route only involves open road speeds ... look for something comfortable to use in slower traffic too ... (and can lane split with ease .. ??)

The initial budget is one thing ... the weekly/monthly running costs are another. Fuel is the cost most look at ... but each month ... you'll most likely spend more on tires. Add servicing costs (oil/filters/brake pads etc) and you may find it isn't cheap to commute by bike.
    Fun .... ?? well that depends a lot on weather too.

Even the gear you wear for the commute may differ from the usual day/weekend rides.

Sorry FJRider, saw this earlier, but didn't have time to reply.
    I get what you're saying, and they are all good points. Actually I started off thinking about getting a big bike, litre plus, not because I need (or even particularly want) to go extremely fast, but just because they're, you know, sexy. I've always been driven to bikes more through "want" than "need".
    The practicality is what sells it to the wife. The fun is what sells it to me.
    I could actually just get a a cheap car to get to work (although I'd have to put up with paying for parking, and being stuck in traffic). Bottom line is I'm on a bike because I like it. So, would be kind of pointless getting one I don't actually like very much.
    That said, you've definitly made me think a bit more about the litre bike thing.
    Cheers, Alex.

Bike
    Suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by haydes55 View Post
    Longer travel suspension which means a more cushioned ride. Upright riding position so weight is evenly on your pegs and seat. The wind protection is great. The tank is a decent size and usually can manage 400+km per tank (depending on what year and how it's ridden).

If I didn't want to do track days and loved savage acceleration, I'd own one in a heart beat. You'd be hard pressed to find a better bike to comfortably tour NZ on a budget. So would be great commuting a decent distance.
    Ok, that's some pretty good reasons, I have to admit. I'll take a look next time I'm at a Suzuki dealer. Maybe I'll like them better up close :-) Cheers.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Sorry FJRider, saw this earlier, but didn't have time to reply.
    I get what you're saying, and they are all good points. Actually I started off thinking about getting a big bike, litre plus, not because I need (or even particularly want) to go extremely fast, but just because they're, you know, sexy. I've always been driven to bikes more through "want" than "need".
    The practicality is what sells it to the wife. The fun is what sells it to me.
    I could actually just get a a cheap car to get to work (although I'd have to put up with paying for parking, and being stuck in traffic). Bottom line is I'm on a bike because I like it. So, would be kind of pointless getting one I don't actually like very much.
    That said, you've definitly made me think a bit more about the litre bike thing.
    Cheers, Alex.
    I know the "Fun" bit interests many in the bike commute thing ... but after the rego/fuel (twist throttle for fun)/tires .... I hope you're on a good wage/salary to be able to afford it.

Do the sums with the tires ... how many weeks do you reckon you'll get out of a set ... ?? (commute plus weekend rides)

Do the sums with the fuel too ... What % of riding is done on .. ?? Open road/Motorway/city street/inner city ... different types of riding uses different fuel amounts ...

Fun is good .. being broke is not.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    I know the "Fun" bit interests many in the bike commute thing ... but after the rego/fuel (twist throttle for fun)/tires .... I hope you're on a good wage/salary to be able to afford it.

Do the sums with the tires ... how many weeks do you reckon you'll get out of a set ... ?? (commute plus weekend rides)

Do the sums with the fuel too ... What % of riding is done on .. ?? Open road/Motorway/city street/inner city ... different types of riding uses different fuel amounts ...

Fun is good .. being broke is not.
    I see you have a '93 FJ1200. What's that like?
    I've got a soft spot for the old FJs - I remember when the first FJ1100s came out. I remember being told at the time they were the first bike to crack a 10 second quarter mile.
    I had a 1982 Yamaha IT175 at the time, which I loved greatly, despite it's habit of rattling itself to bits.

Bike
    2013 GSXR-1300 Hayabusa
    Busa. Gen 1. Touring screen, gel seat, risers and three bag set up.

You're welcome.

Bike
    Suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by ital916 View Post
    Busa. Gen 1. Touring screen, gel seat, risers and three bag set up.

You're welcome.
    I am? In that case, thank you!

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    I see you have a '93 FJ1200. What's that like?
    I've got a soft spot for the old FJs - I remember when the first FJ1100s came out. I remember being told at the time they were the first bike to crack a 10 second quarter mile.
    I had a 1982 Yamaha IT175 at the time, which I loved greatly, despite it's habit of rattling itself to bits.
    I used my FJ for a month for a 35 km (each way) commute. 5 days a week. The 3 liter V6 Toyota Septre I had at the time was cheaper to use ... Fuel was the cheapest part for the bike (but not by much) Tires were for the Toyota (by quite a lot).

Open road most of the way ... top gear ... (except for the odd quick overtake)

Definitely FUN though ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Are you saying the VFR, RF, Bandit, etc. have a fairing which is too low to do much? Guess I need to get off my arse, do some test rides, and find out for myself, LOL.
    People have different opinions on the value of fairings so you really need to try a few different bikes for yourself to get a feel for it.

On the bikes you've mentioned above I don't find they're worth much at any sensible road speed. By 200+ when you're tucked down behind whatever's on offer they certainly make a huge difference but at 100 in a normal riding position then you're still in the wind and you're still going to get wet when it rains.

Riding something like an FJR or ST1300 for the first time with that massive adjustable screen in the highest position is a totally difference experience to motorcycling as you know it. You're sitting in a bubble of still air where you could probably light a cigarette without too much trouble at 1**km/h. You're not gonna find one of those for $5k but ST1100s come up for that kind of coin fairly regularly.

Bike
    All of them
    You're gonna commute = you are going to be low speed or stopped frequently.
    Fairing mostly useless unless you just like the look of them.
    Even at highway speeds a quality riding suit provides better protection from the elements.

Bike
    bandit
    I'm a little biased as a mate had an RF900, traded it in on a VFR ... had lots of trouble and didn't like it and swapped it for a 1250 Bandit ... and still owns that Bandit ...

I know that's not everyone's experience .. but just throwing that into the mix ...
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    bandit
    Quote Originally Posted by The Reibz View Post
    Depends on how many burnouts I do. Got 10k out of this last one is
    Fuck !!! A nanny rider? I killed rear tyres on my 650 Bandit in 3,000 ks ... with a 100k round trip to work and home it doesn't take much to work out that I killed a rear tyre in a month (Now I live 1.5 ks from SH2 I have slowed down a lot) .. and yes, I do have the salary that can afford that ..
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    Suzuki
    Okay, thanks ender. I was under the impression that S/T type bikes had a pretty effective fairing. Obviously not as much as I thought.

Sent from my GT-S7500 using Tapatalk 2

Thread Information